Banshee Horn Relay installation - Help Please...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlekkie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I am an accountant so I apologise for any dodgy electrical connections/questions I may/have made....

I need some advice with the installation of my Banshee horn.  I bought the horn as part of the group buy during starter project ( it was quite a while ago).  I have a 2005 F650GS BMW Dakar.  I have wired up the horn as per the Banshee website instructions (https://screaming-banshee.com/media/Instruction%20Document/Full%20Instruction%20Guide/Full%20Instructions%205-16-2012.pdf).  I therefore connected the Red wire to + on my battery, Black wire to - and the Blue wire was spliced into the + stock horn wire (Green and Violet colour). This however caused the horn then only to produce this whimpy farty sound (not enough power?).  I then attempted the relay solution as per the site (https://screaming-banshee.com/media/Instruction%20Document/Relay%20Solution/Relay%20Solution%204-19-12.pdf) as follow - I spliced the + wire of the stock horn to 86 on the relay and - to 85 on the relay.  I then connected the Blue wire of the system to 87 on the relay.  This then caused the horn not to work at all, but the stock horn still functions.  From further research on the web it is quite clear that there should be an input from the battery that should go into 30 on the relay, but I am confused as to how to do this.  If I connect a wire from the battery to the relay and the Blue wire to 87, would this not cause for the control unit to be bypassed, and not allow for the system to pulse and be delayed etc?  If I connect the + wire of the stock horn to 30 would this not just bring me back to square one? 
The fuse is fine - when I connect Red and Blue of the system directly to the battery then the horn works properly. 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!