Baviaans recce - 13/06/2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemodakar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Since the WC Dogs are coming through Baviaans on their way to the EC Bash, I thought it might be helpful to suss out the conditions of the roads after the recent 40mm rain we have had.

Mr. T said he would be my wingman for the trip.

We met up in Hankey at 08h30, refueled and headed towards the Baviaans.

This is what we found:

Paying our fees at Kondomo – R30/p/p for day visitors

HPIM2592.jpg

Turn-off to Kudu Kaya

HPIM2594.jpg

Hallelujah – water in the Baviaans – 1st water crossing.

HPIM2595.jpg

Proof that work is being done on the road

HPIM2596.jpg

The top of Combrink’s Pass

HPIM2598.jpg

HPIM2599.jpg

You can’t say that we don’t live in a beautiful country

HPIM2600.jpg

HPIM2601.jpg

HPIM2602.jpg

Condition of the road at the top of Combrink’s Pass – best I’ve seen in years.

HPIM2603.jpg

Between Bergplaas and Doodsklip – the ruts have been filled in with concrete.  I think the concrete strips are slightly higher than the road surface, but they seem to be busy leveling the whole surface.  Some of the bikers we met on the trip were complaining about this, but once this is done, I think it will be perfect, especially when you get an unexpected shower.  I think it will be safer but not ‘moffie-fied’

HPIM2606.jpg

HPIM2607.jpg

Playing around at numerous water crossings between Geelhoutbos and Doodsklip

HPIM2609.jpg

HPIM2610.jpg

HPIM2611.jpg

HPIM2612.jpg

HPIM2613.jpg

HPIM2614.jpg

Geelhoutbos

HPIM2615.jpg

The mighty 200m Geelhoutbos water crossing
HPIM2616.jpg

Mr. T or Smokey Robertson???

HPIM2617.jpg

Enjoying a soetes

HPIM2618.jpg

When you’re hot, you’re hot

HPIM2619.jpg

HPIM2621.jpg

You can even run into these in the Baviaans (if you are lucky)

HPIM2624.jpg

Forgot to take the grid but a ‘boer maak ‘n plan’ – wors on a stick with a couple of local yokels. What started as two people having a braai soon turned into about 30 Patensie locals having a jol in Baviaans

HPIM2625.jpg

The Gamtoos Irrigation Board is spending R17 million on upgrading the Baviaans Kloof road.  What we found is that contrary to popular belief, they are not stuffing it up for everyone.  They are merely making it safer for travelers without taking away any of the skills needed to successfully complete the trip.

NB. – Bergplaas could be a challenge when wet due to the road surface being clay.  The road between Kondomo and Combrink’s Pass is now like a Karoo freeway except for much narrower and windier.  Please be careful of on-coming traffic.  The road condition is so good that you might tend to speed.  Be aware that the roads might be busy due to holidays and visitors to the area.

Thanks to Mr. T for the company

Temp @ 07h00 was 5 Deg in Uitenhage & went to 8 Deg @ Hanky. Nice & fresh with some ice on top somewhere.
The Baviaans is always a great ride but be aware it can take your wheels from out under you.
There are plenty of puddles, strips of water & crossings where it is clay type surface which is extreamly slippery.
We will be having some rain before the Western Cape Dogs come through.
A word of caution as this will escalte the slippery road.

Looks like we might have some good tales of the Baviaans terror to listen to this coming weekend.

Inall fareness we expect the WC dogs to handel the whole ride with great finness & arrive safely @ the EC Bash.

Enjoy the ride.  8)

Thanks for the information,cant wait for the bash.Baviaans does not look to bad ,pity >:D some of us love it wet. ::)

Thanks for the rapport. My next trip will be the baviaans and thats going to be sooner than later.

Thanks Guys  :thumleft: :thumleft: