Baviaans recce - 13/06/2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never heard of anyone having to pay coming from Willowmore side - only from PE side ???. wierd

Did the Baviaans last Wednesday, From PE to Willowmore. Had to pay. When approaching the reserve I saw a large Notice (Compulsory Stop - Purchase permits!!) I thought nothing of it and just carried on. At the gate the warden / gate operator (NOW TOLL COLLECTOR Too) asked for our permits. 2 x Bikes 1 x Bakkie & trailer 3 persons etc. I acted ignorant!  He promptly hauled out a permit book and filled it in. I cannot remember the cost but gave him the bucks required, took the permits and shoved them in the bakkie's door panel. Off we went on our merry way.

I have just gone out to my bakkie and retrieved the said permit. Upon scrutiny he filled everything in, except the amount needed to be paid??!!, so I still dont know what the "damage" was.

Anyhow it was a great trip for DangerD and myself, with Ouma coming up the rear with the bakkie & trailer.

YES, its now a TOLL ROAD! This is South Africa. You pay per person traversing the reserve.

As far as I was told , if you are merely passing thro you don't have to pay but if you are going to stop and use their facilities then there is a R30 fee p/p.

There's a new guy in charge now and he would like to spend the funds on the improvement of the  facilities.

I spoke to him at length the other day and he under stands how we feel and would like to keep the moneys out off the hands of the ou's in Bisho other wise he'll never see it again. I don't know if it's a case of a new broom sweeps clean or weather it is genuine.

Personally I would be happy if they can keep the place plastic and dooskarretjie free.

Mid June they had major kak with quads chasing Rooihart beeste at Bergplaas.

Went thru this last w/e and wasn't asked to pay anything - only sign in and out the other side. there were 6 of us on bikes, so it wasn't like we snuck thru :)

Five of us went through on Sunday morning from the Willowmore side and did not have to have permits as we wouldnt be stopping
in the rain.You can get day permits at Zandvlakte just before the boom if you plan on stopping and enter from the Willowmore side. If entering at Patensie side
get the permit at Komdomo

Zandvlakte Guest Farm
https://www.baviaanskloof.com
Tel +27 (0)49 839 1002

Road is becomming a highway, for two of the riders it was only their second ride on DS bikes on gravel and they handled fine.

Berm_Rooster said:
JERINOMO said:
Baviaans.

Nice RR Jerinomo. Kind of. ??? Why not post it in "Ride Reports"?

Hi Berm_Rooster, would love to give a few RR's but don't think its fair to give a RR, doing it in a Landy. Out of respect for this forum I'll rather wait till  I get my GSA to write some RR's. I'just placed a few pics to show how much wildlife there are in the Baviaans.

This is a photo of me standing at a "GS Country" sign.

Attachments

• Junie  2010 209.jpg
    Junie 2010 209.jpg
    77.2 KB