Belly hanging low on R1150GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Well, I had been aware of the symptom for a while, but did not have an answer....  ::)

The symptom, I have GSA shocks fitted and a GS centrestand, the collective info on the web says it shouldn't work, I need the longer GSA stand.... but on mine it worked, OK brand new knobblies it was marginal... 8)

So we have established something is not quite right  :sip:

Also it didn't corner quite as it should particularly at low speed.. ::)

With the tank off I noticed the top "frame" rails/struts from the steering head to the engine looked a bit "bellied" out, but how to check no measurements available, so I measured Murdoch's while I was working on his bike, but it is difficult to measure on the bike, too much junk around them.

Then I get the chance of a pair on appro, from Obi-Wan, so took them stripped mine off, and voila....... mine were 5 to 6mm short  :eek: :eek:

Fitted the replacement struts and it is now marginal on the centrestand with worn out knobblies and it turns into corners better and I think the front suspension works better... :thumleft:

So I conclude that a somewhat rotund :-[ rider and hitting dongas at pace over the years did those struts no favors, especially in the early days with stock GS suspension.

Hopefully it will not repeat as I have lost a few kgs... :peepwall: