Beware the Doo repair, not always what you thought it would be.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humpty Dumpty

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Doo done by Le Cap on an 05 @  +/-30,000km, 06 +/- 60,000km and 07 +/- 35,000km (yes three in the family, mine and both sons), the 06 spring was broken, others not...But, and this is the BUTT... I had some issues with my 06 gear @ 69,500km so stripped her down to not only find 2nd gear thrust washer missing (from factory) butttt .... also the new Eagle Mike spring, broken, bought the updated spring from Kawa, heavier duty looking...and what would you know...its too long...soooo, put the lot back together once the thrust washer had arrived ex Japan, tensioned doo by hand and locked the lot up...Checked my sons 05 today (which was done +/-3000km back) to find....the new Eagle Mike spring broken too, same place (where it links to the casing), both had slipped in under the balance chain and had been rubbed badly, no real damage to casings or internal works, luckily. 

So will be doing the 07 this Saturday and tension manually from now on, cant take the risk.

And my advice to all who have had the doo done and are now blissfully slacking off the tensioner bolt every 5,000km.....Hmmmm, Chaps, don't trust that little spring tucked away inside.... and open your bikes left hand side to check the spring, not that easy to see, but with a little effort it can be done, easiest quick check would be to... Remove the outer magneto cover, loosen the Doo tensioner lock bolt and if you can slide the adjuster backwards with your finger...hmmmm...the spring...she broken...

Now you have to remove the magneto to get to the rest of it and fish out the spring bits, probably still attached one side to the tensioner and the broken bit in the oil strainer...which sits behind the right hand side casing.

I have made/modified my own tools for the removal of magneto bolt and pulling the magneto off, and would be happy to have a tech day at my place...always willing to help fellow KLR ers :) 

Just give us a shout via the forum, or via email to  [email protected]