Bike won’t idle, backfires and stalls when closing throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
So for the past few days I have been plagued by my bike’s engine stalling when I throttle down. The only way I could ride was to keep the revs up by holding the throttle a quarter open when at idle or when I gear down. Very frustrating.

So I had a long hard think and started tracing the problem, starting at 9 this morning.
I am happy to report that I may have fixed it. I’ll share my solution just in case you develop a similar problem.

Troubleshooting fail: Start with the most complicated issue first and work your way back to the simplest possibility.

I’ve always done this – I always overthink the problem, often overlooking the simple things.
So I google my problem and come across this piece of advice on Bimmerfest.com. Particularly this post by a guy called scuubbs.

So I remove the idle actuator, clean off the gunk, clean the electrical connectors and smear the actuator tip with a tiny bit of copper slip before reinstalling it.

I restart the bike. The engine still won’t idle for more than a minute and it dies as soon as it returns to idle after quick revving. :mad:

Attachments

• 01 Actuator.jpg
    01 Actuator.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 299
  • 02 Actuator before.jpg
    02 Actuator before.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 03 Actuator before.jpg
    03 Actuator before.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 04 Actuator after.jpg
    04 Actuator after.jpg