Blyde River Canyon and surrounding areas...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
I had 10 days off between contracts and was suffering from a severe case of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) as the GSA has been parked up in the garage while I was at work in Zambia. The only medicine for this was to take my Beloved and the bike and go for a ride.

As usual the budget was very limited so we had to do it as cheaply as possible. We had previously visited Graskop, but had not had the time to visit the canyon and it was on the wife's bucket list. She also enjoys the mountain passes as much as I do, so we wanted to ride as many of them as possible.

We packed up the GSA quite heavily, the weather forcast predicted rain and cold weather, so extra warm clothing was needed, as well as some way to waterproof the sleeping bags and inflatable matresses, so I cut up a piece of vinyl sheeting that was lying in the garage and wrapped them up in it. As waterproofing it worked well, the sleeping bags stayed dry, and we were able to use the bits around the tent to stop treading mud into it.

The bike loaded and ready to go!
P1070375.jpg

Myself and the wife about to hit the road.
P1070377.jpg

We headed north up the N1, stopped at the Wimpy at Kranskop for a brekkie and coffee, and then continued on to Polokwane/Pietersburg. Then we headed east towards Magoebaskloof. And that was where the first bits of rain started. The road is also being repaired, and a few stop-and-go restrictions are in place. But we persevered, and made the first stop at the Magoebaskloof Hotel for a coffee and a smoke break.

The view from the deck at the hotel
DSC_0062.jpg

Posing at the waterwheel
DSC_0063-1.jpg

The name of the pub is quite apt, seeing as the hotel burned down a few years ago
DSC_0066.jpg

Feeling a little warmer we continued down Magoebaskloof pass, taking it slow in the treacherous conditions. Then onwards to Tzaneen. We came across this roadsign just before Tzaneen, the wife just had to get a pic.
P1070397.jpg

The weather had cleared a little, and from Tzaneen we headed southwards down the R36. A roadside stop was a good place for a smoke-break. Note how small the wife looks alongside the loaded GSA  ;D
P1070382.jpg

The obligatory stop at the entrance to the JG Strijdom tunnel. Pity about all the curio shacks built there now...
P1070386.jpg

We were able to push it a bit harder along the dryer road, and the passes were exhilarating to say the least. Finally we arrived at the Forever Resorts Blyde River Canyon. We booked into the campsite without any hassles about being on a bike. Camping costs R85/person/night. The campsite is pretty well maintained, and we had a nice piece of grass to set up the little tent on. Each campsite also has a brick braai with a light, an electricity connection point, and a table and benches. Lots of big trees make sure that its nice and shady.
IMG-20121127-00339.jpg

We had a great buffet dinner in the resort restaurant, and the resort shop is well-stocked with just about everything one could want. There is also a bottle-store, fuel pumps, and an ATM onsite. We just made it back to the tent after dinner before the heavens opened up again, but the tent remained dry inside and we slept well after a long day's riding.

The next morning dawned cloudy and cool, but not raining. We had planned to hike down some of the trails at the resort. There are several to choose from, from the easy to really tough. We decided to combine three trails, the Leopard Trail, the Guinea Fowl trail, and another whose name now evades me. The total distance was only about 10km, but as it was all up and down the canyon it was pretty tough.

The view from the start of the trail, Three Rondawels and the Blyde River Dam. Mariepskop also in the background.
DSC_0076.jpg

There are some spectacular vantage points. Just sitting there, taking a breather, in awe of the majesty...
DSC_0108.jpg

There is also beautiful fauna...
DSC_0116.jpg

...and flora...
DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Unfortunately the battery in the wife's camera decided to quit working, so pics stopped happening. Further along the trail we came across a few waterfalls, with pools below them. They would have been perfect for taking a skinny-dip in if it wasn't so chilly! We never saw any other people along the trail the entire day, was really special having it all to ourselves. Eventually we finally arrived back at the campsite, and just chilled for the rest of the afternoon. Another lovely buffet dinner in the restaurant and a good bottle of wine ensured another good sleep that night.

The next morning we were up early, broke camp, and headed out towards Graskop. We had not been able to get the camera working, so the only pics we were able to take were with the Blackberry. Just after we hit the road the rain started again, so it was slow and carefully that we continued. A stop at the Berlin Falls during a short lull in the rain...
P1070394.jpg

In Graskop we stopped at Harries Pancakes for brekkie. What is really nice about Harries is that the coffee comes in a big silver coffee press, and there are at least 3 big cups in each one. I am a coffee addict, so this really impressed me. Warmed and hydrated we filled up the bike and headed towards Hazyview, the rain still falling. Again we had to take it easy in the twisty bits, the road was really slippery, and with so many places where the trucks and tractors enter the road from the forestry plantations placing long stretches of thick mud on the tar it wasn't worth pushing too hard.

At Hazyview we turned around and headed back towards Sabie. During our planning we had seen how twisty the road was, and just had to ride it. It was really great when the rain finally stopped, and the road started drying out. Our speed increased slowly, and so did the excitement. Arriving in Sabie we had another coffee, then took the mud track to Bridal Veil falls. After all the rain it was pretty much slip-and-slide, but to my amazement I managed to keep the GSA upright all the way.

At Bridal Veil falls we made the hike up the falls from the parking area, feeling the effects of the previous days hike in our legs. A real pity that the good Nikon camera wasn't working, the shots would have been spectacular. Had to make do with the BB again...
P1070402.jpg

From there we headed along the R537 and the R37 towards Lydenburg. The road was still wet in places, but the rain had finally stopped. We stopped at the Long Tom cannon for a break, took a couple of pics with the BB, and met a fascinating old guy and his wife. He is in his 70's, has been a biker all his life, but with "plastic knees" as he calls them he is no longer able to hold a bike up. So now he rides a trike... respect Tops!
P1070416.jpg

The ride continued on to Lydenburg, then Dullstroom for a late-ish lunch, Belfast, and then the boring N4 back to Pretoria. The GSA had behaved itself perfectly, and although the weather hadn't been the best, the itch had been scratched. Now I am at work again for another two weeks, and I can already feel the PMS setting in  :xxbah:

But planning the next ride has started  :ricky:

nice pics. places not to be missed when in those areas; Pot & Plough above Magoebaskloof best beer and pizzas form Gary and Co, then near Hoedspruit/Mariepskop, lunch at the Mad Dogs Cafe

Pragtige omgewing, netjiese foto's. :thumleft:

Die "ou, Oos-Transvaal" was darem altyd 'n mooi plek  :thumleft:

Nice report and tx for sharing  :thumleft:

Lyk baie lekker! Dankie vir die RR!  :thumleft:

Lovely bit of country that, travelled that route many times, need to go again sometime....

Your last pic could have been nice if your bike was facing the other way.... :biggrin:

Thanks to all for the comments. I'm still deciding where the GSA will take the wife and I next, but when I do I'll make sure I do another RR.

Your last pic could have been nice if your bike was facing the other way

You are quite correct, I'll keep that in mind. But truth be told, I'm really kak at seeing the potential for a good phodie, but I can recognise a nice one. A bit like music, I enjoy a good melody, but I can't sing for shit  :imaposer:

Mr Zog said:
Thanks to all for the comments. I'm still deciding where the GSA will take the wife and I next, but when I do I'll make sure I do another RR.

Your last pic could have been nice if your bike was facing the other way

You are quite correct, I'll keep that in mind. But truth be told, I'm really kak at seeing the potential for a good phodie, but I can recognise a nice one. A bit like music, I enjoy a good melody, but I can't sing for shit  :imaposer:
  :thumleft:

Very nice RR & Gr8 photos. :thumleft: Thanks for sharing.

A part of our country I have not seen.
Beautiful pics :thumleft:

OOOOMS said:
Your last pic could have been nice if your bike was facing the other way.... :biggrin:

You mean like so?.......Inspired by Mr. Zog I took a ride out to the east this weekend, and also slept at Blyderivierspoort last night. I was lucky to get a camping spot, and can confirm that it's quite a nice place to stay over. As I passed the Long Tom cannon on my way back this afternoon, I remembered OOOOMS' comment about the picture, and promptly turned around to see if I could do something about it.

Vaalseun said:
OOOOMS said:

You mean like so?.......Inspired by Mr. Zog I took a ride out to the east this weekend, and also slept at Blyderivierspoort last night. I was lucky to get a camping spot, and can confirm that it's quite a nice place to stay over. As I passed the Long Tom cannon on my way back this afternoon, I remembered OOOOMS' comment about the picture, and promptly turned around to see if I could do something about it.

Excellent shot. :thumleft: That really looks Cool ;)