BMW R100T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
Ever heard of them, neither have I until last week  ???

Was searching for bits on ebay for the PD when I stumbled across "1979 BMW R100T motorbike faulty pushrods" and the bid was on £500 with exactly 8 minutes to go  :mwink:

I quickly worked out timescales in my head and reckoned that if I get this for a good price and replace the pushrod tubes I can use it and work at ease on the PD as the next couple of weeks are pretty hectic in the Maverick household.

So I stuck a bid in with 2 minutes to go and viola next moment I am sitting with an Airhead with leaky pushrod tube which needs picking up in Windermere only 300 miles away - idjit  :-\ :-\

Tuesday morning got the 5:39 train from Euston enroute to Lakedistrict. Backpack filled with hoseclamps, 5 liters of oil, ductape, spanners, epoxy metal mix, AA card and a can of coke  :biggrin:

Soon the weather turns from open skies to rain - my rainsuit was left on the bike at Euston station  :patch:

943400704_xMkTA-L.jpg

The lakedistrict had alot of water the last couple of days and I am dressed smartly with jeans, hiking boots and leather jacket  ::)

I am stunned with the beauty of the lakedistrict as the previous time I was there was winter and to cold to look at anything

943401457_nzk7X-L.jpg

This is a place where I would like to live and bring my boy up  :ricky:

943401137_zxRCu-L.jpg

I get to Windermere on time and met by a very nice chap called Andy with the bike. He goes through everything in detail explaining every possible fault there could be and the more I tell him not to worry I get what I pay for the more he tells me  :biggrin:

We get back to his offices and get a nice spot to work and check the bike over before attempting the long road back

943402488_7SLw2-L.jpg

Nice workshop space huh  :deal:

943402861_ddSK6-L.jpg

I get plied with more coffee and croissants with Andy checking every few minutes if I am ok and need anything - top bloke  :thumleft:

943403177_PfYfR-L.jpg

Epoxy metal fix, bit of metal sheet wrap and hoseclamps - ready to roll  :ricky:

943403431_bAs8N-L.jpg

A quick photo of my "new" bike

943403770_ZHvmf-L.jpg

I pack my stuff and thank Andy for his generosity and help and fire up the bike. There is a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust and still a tiny leak dripping. I think let me get some miles under the bike and decided whether it is better to phone the AA or try another fix later on, this is what biking is suppose to be like isn't it  :peepwall: A bit of an adventure else what is the point  :bueller:

Head out and a mile down the road entering Windermere again I decided to stop and fill up for fuel. Indicator on and doing about 20mph next moment an old timer pulls out of the garage straight into me pushing me into the pavement. I think damn this is not good and the wheels are rubbing on the corner stone of the pavement as I try to keep balance as he still has not seen me and just driving on. Next moment at near standstill he clips the mirror and I have to put the bike down and step off in one motion. He then notices the racket behind him in the mirrors and stop and runs towards me very apologetic. I am more upset thinking this is not a good start than I could of just been killed furios  :argue:

He apologises and I ask him to please pay more attention as he never looked left or right when he pulled out. Shook hands and no damage to the bike or myself pick it up and fill with fuel.

The route back home was all done on M6/M1/M25 and took me from 12:00 to 16:45 taking it easy. Had no idea how fast I was going as the speedo cable was broken and just kept it around 4k-4.5k rpm. Stopped every 50 miles to check the oil level and it used/leaked 2.5 liters the trip home - might as well name the bike Oil Spill  :biggrin: Luckilly most of it dripped on the exhaust and burnt away as I had hardly any oil on my boot and my bigger concern on the rear wheel.

At home I take a nice shower and try to get 20 minutes sleep before my wife and little one comes home. Jesse sees the bike and being a little baby petrol head drags me outside. He will not stop until I take him around the garden.

943404493_ENDhj-L.jpg

943404820_eF5qJ-L.jpg

I feel might happy that we got home all the way safe and the bike was extremely sluggish the first 100 miles and when we hit 200 everything just changed. It was purring like a kitten effortlesly just running at 4500rpm.

Wednesday evening my mate Lootch popped around and before he knew it he was put in charge of stripping the righ side of the bike whilst I did the left  :imaposer:

943405502_2v6eq-L.jpg

Both cylinders pulled and gaskets/o-rings/pushrod tubes ordered to rebuilt. The bodge job

943405844_KVpzQ-L.jpg

The offending hole

943406515_JrKij-L.jpg

Poor mate came to see the bike and ended up working on it until 12:00 at night  :biggrin:
Whilst we were at it replaced the speedo cable which was a right bugger as it the locking nut on the speedo seemed to have seized and had to put a hacksaw at it to break the nut off. All sorted and refitted. Now for the major cleanup operation and putting it all back together

943406812_BYo6u-L.jpg

Currently thinking along these lines for the bike

CC1980R100T-1.jpg

Porgress report to follow  :wav: