Byrne Valley to Merrivale/Hilton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy Transalp said:
Did you need to speak to landowners for permission, or are there no fences? (no fence in my mind = go for it!) Very nice Jon. :thumleft:

Thanks TT

We got permission from the guy whose farm the ride started on.

But then after we left his farm we didn't really have permission, but it was mostly timber farms after that.

JonW said:
At the top of the mountain is a really interesting place, the Minerva Motor Museum.

https://www.minervareserve.co.za/

It is owned and run by Malcolm Anderson and a few friends, a museum dedicated to engines and machinery of every conceivable type, the older the better. I had phoned ahead to let Malcolm know we were coming, and he was very happy to give up some time to show us around.

The warehouse is crammed full of engines and machinery, from sowing machines to valveless engines to a  full size jet engine. Malcolm scours the countryside for any type of old engine that anyone might have, then brings it back to his workshop on top of the mountain where he and his mates strip it and then attempt to get it running again. Malcolm welcomes visitors and is very happy to hear of old broken machinery anyone might have lying around.

Ou was murdered today by his colleague who then committed suicide RIP

Ja I was very sad to see that.

I stopped by and said hi to him about 3 weeks ago when I rode past his place on the way back from Byrne Valley.

He was a very likable and humble guy, never too much trouble to drop what he was doing and give you a tour around his museum. Also always happy for bikers to ride through his farm.

Condolences to his family.

Latest posts