Calm ride turned mudslinging. What was I thinking???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
It was Thursday morning when I received an invite from Rocstompa (RS) to join him for a bit of farm scouting as he’s in the market to buy one (or two). I was not too keen to go because the previous weekend was the sleepover at Oom Gerhard’s farm in the Baviaans but I thought getting out on the bike for a 160km round trip was not that bad, considering it’s mostly gravel highways and a bit of tar. We will be back by 12:00 and still enjoy lunch with the family.

We agree to meet up at the Engen Garage. It was RS, myself and Alistair, one of RS’s friends who just bought his KTM.

6000k.jpg

Although the sun was out already, it was still coldish at about 5°c

6001l.jpg

We had to stop at the Engen in Uitenhage. RS had to fix his jacket as the zip was stripped. A leatherman and a small nip on the zipper and it closed again.

6002z.jpg

I’ve met Alistair on a previous occasion but it’s the first time I ride with him. He bought this KTM not long ago with just 14000km on the clock.

6003xt.jpg

The whole purpose of this trip was to go out and scout two farms RS was interested in, maybe a quick breakfast and be back at home before 12:00.

6004d.jpg

We took our time measuring, calculating and tried to make sense out of the GPS coordinates and what we saw.

6005h.jpg

6006j.jpg

6009a.jpg

Forgot to switch the camera off. ::)

6008a.jpg

The farms looked awesome after the rain.

6013s.jpg

6014b.jpg

6017o.jpg

6018s.jpg

After the farm scouting we decided to take a trip to Robert’s farm near Doolhof. We had to go through the same washed roads again that we rode with Hanno to get to Robert’s farm.

RS first

6019v.jpg

RS wanted to make this ride a memorable one for me and Alistair and enticed us to follow down the river bed, but Alistair and I just didn’t had the guts for it.

6021.jpg

Here’s a video clip of us crossing the washed away road. This is where RS decided that the road was too boring. He took off and went down the dry river bed.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/s4zq5QKH8EQ[/flash]

Alistair and I were waiting for RS to return from his excursion in the river bed.

6023.jpg

It was time to head home and although it was a perfect day for a ride I was glad in a way as I was away from home the previous week as well.

6025.jpg

Hitting the tar road back to PE.

6026.jpg

And that’s where my early return home went down the drain. RS told us of a short cut we can take going through “Kakkerlaksvlei”. Now just the name must have given me an idea on what to expect.  :eek:

Will post the rest tomorrow.