Classic G/S riders, the Sutherland trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Although anything on two wheels is welcome to join, the classic G/S riders is made up of a group of airhead GS riders.
We try and do at least one 2 day ride a month and the focus is to get on dust as much as possible.
The weekend of the 25 and 26 October was scheduled for a easy ride and a visit to the observatory. This because I met Ockert, one of the technicians for the new telescope, at the GS Challenge in September and he invited me to come visit when I am in the area.
Our choice of routes was to get lost in the absolute starkness of the Tankwa Karoo landscape, the roads in this area is big, wide and really smooth. I can them the Karoo highways because it is like riding the highway, you can easily do speeds of up to 200km/h on these roads.
We also wanted to include two mountain passes, Gannaga on the way to Middlepos and on the way back we will go over Oubergse pass.
Some new members were joining us for this trip and it was important for them that the routes must be easy. Boring I can hear most of you say but when you travel through landscapes like this you have to slow down all the time to have a look around. Sometimes you get the feeling you are driving through a scorched part of earth as there is no vegetation and all the stones are black as if burned. Sometimes you are floating over soft hills with the most amazing desert vegetation making you feel you might be on another planet. Sometimes you get closer to the escarpment and the incredible mountains start to pull you in and you can't stop staring at raw beauty of it.

We met at 7:30am on Saturday morning at the N1 1-Stop on the way to Paarl.
We were 10 riders all together with 7 being older GS's, one 1150Adv, one 1200Adv and one XT500 (the owner of this bike have asked me to strip his G/S to send the frame to HPN for convention)
At the briefing Howard mentioned that his bike stalled on the way there and shortly after we left the 1-Stop his bike stalled again.
We found a loose coil lead but about 3 km down he was having the same problem and after checking the spark which seem to be very week he decided to quit and go home because it looked like a troublesome coil or ignition control unit.
We all felt very bad for his sake has this is the second trip in a row where his brake would brake down and send him home before the excitement really started.
Our route took us over Bainskloof to Ceres where we filled up with petrol as the next stop will be Middlepos about 230km away.
We left town along the R355 to Calvinia and it was not long before we were on the dirt and I was as happy as n pig in mud. Funny I have never owned a road bike and have always been bored out of my scull on tar roads, the moment your tyres hit the dirt and I can feel that looseness of the bike slowly wiggling left and right under me the excitement start to come on.

We agreed to stop at the turn off to Middlepos to make sure nobody miss the turn off. Roadworks made this section of the road a bit more interesting as one mayor obstacle was created when the contractor was in the process of resurfacing some sections. It looked like a ploughed field with big stones everywhere and on top of that they were wetting the soil creating a slippery sludge.
Everyone made it through okay with Marcus and his 1200GS deciding that they should go around, not realising there was no detour and found himself bashing through the bushes on the side of the road.

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004580_2_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004580_2_1.jpg
    153.1 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004615_3_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004615_3_1.jpg
    89.8 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004618-2_4_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004618-2_4_1.jpg
    88 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004625_5_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004625_5_1.jpg
    96.3 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004577_1_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004577_1_1.jpg
    143.1 KB
The best screen resolution to watch this thread will be1280X1024. All the pics are cropped in a panoramic format and will perfectly fit on your screen at this resolution otherwise you will have to scroll them over to see the whole image but you will loose the effect of the panoramic format.

Rest of the story to be continued!!

We stopped under the cool shade of the thorn trees at the Tankwa Karoo national parks head office and reflected on the last stretch of road. It was clear that as we approached the escarpment there was less traffic on the roads and in some areas the roads became very washed out because of a lack of maintenance. For the unsuspecting rider this can send the the good old blood pump into overdrive as the bike starts bucking and reeling underneath you as it hits the sand and corrugated sections. This especially since the rest of the road is good enough to safely travel at speeds of up to 110km/h.

Leaving the park buildings, two riders missed a crucial turnoff and send me rocketing of to try and catch up. Manfred being new to this was easy to catch on his 1150GS but Lorenzo riding the XT500 was going like a man on n mission. The road became more of a track and speeds over 130km/h was near impossible on the weathered road, it took 15km before I could get next to him to indicate that he should pull over.

The rest of the group was waiting at Gannaga pass with its extraordinary vistas.

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004633_4_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004633_4_1.jpg
    239.7 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004666_3_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004666_3_1.jpg
    149.7 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004671_2_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004671_2_1.jpg
    159.4 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004679_1_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004679_1_1.jpg
    149.4 KB
Ha Ha!, nice one dustdevil!

â?¦â?¦â?¦.although the XT decided to cut the trip short around 40km from Sutherland in a landscape reminiscent of the 1977' classic "The hills have eyes", it was Bruce who came galloping passed on his steed (which happens to be a beauty of o R100gs)  to the rescue with his tankbag of XT knowledge, being a closet thumper lover and owner himself, she was nursed back to life keeping her head high with pride for having run puuurfectly with those mighty twins all day.

Having always been a fan of the XT500 and similar vintage machines from around that era, it never seize to amaze that these bikes, itâ??s design and original suggested porpoise that the manufacturers (judging from the original ads) only hinted too, would not only still be around today, but still be able to share in the spirit that is brought on by these types of rides,  truly showing that a bit of two-wheeled adventure is available to all, regardless off your budget.

Was it not for the delays, myself and some of the rest might not have experienced the beauty of the last section
as the sun slowly set and cast a wide shadow over the landscape with only dust in our rear view mirror......awesome.
As for my XT, it was courier time back from Sutherland a week later for proper repairs and so to be ready for the next mystery trip.
I got lift back from my riding partner for the day, Rikus, and I swear I could faintly hear a mumbling of curses from inside his helmet as we took the tar road back and in the event having to miss the next dayâ??s intended ride. Thanks again Rikus.

(Note: Try not to get stuck in Sutherland, as courier companies develop a grin where you mention your call of distress, comfortably tightening their grip on your family jewels for picking up a bike from this specific outpost)

To all on the trip, thanks for a great ride, and to dustdevil for all the arrangements.

To Howard, my sincere sympathies, it seems that we both had purchased our lucky charms from the same dodgy dealer. As long as we are never paired in any future rides we should be fine, as I shudder to think what chaos our combined luck could create.

Till next meeting���. :ricky:

Chairman Meow

Attachments

• Tankwa_beauty1.JPG
    Tankwa_beauty1.JPG
    182.3 KB
After all the hassles that I have had with my G/S,  I have decided to change brands.  Can I use my new scoot for the next trip????????????? :pot:????????

Attachments

• 03apestoriarm3.jpg
    03apestoriarm3.jpg
    85.8 KB
From Gannaga pass it was a short run to Middelpos where some of us desperately needed to fill up with fuel, I was already on reserve due to chasing after Lorenzo over the "Karoo vlaktes".
I took some final images on to of Gannaga pas and ended up being left behind, something that should never happen as we ride together in buddy pairs and buddies should always look out for each other.
As I started to catch up to the rest of the group I realized my front tube was going soft on me and desperately trying to draw the attention of Rikus right in front of me became futile as I could not go faster with the flat front wheel and was forced to quit. There I was stranded with the spare front tube and tire levers speeding of in Mike's toolkit.
Fortunately I had the foot pump and being a slowish puncture the only thing left to do was to pump the tyre and see how far I could get.
About 5km down I could just see the guys disappearing over the next hill in front when the bike was all over the road again with some local farm folk on their "donkie kar" staring at me as I try to wrestle the beast to a standstill without having the front end wash out from under me.
While accompanying me pumping the tire for the second time they explained to me that town is just over the next hill and that I should make it before having to stop for another pump session.
Middlepos is a real one horse town or maybe no horse at all. The dusty square is surrounded by a few scattered buildings which includes the Hotel and some petrol pumps. The petrol attendant had to be called from home and while waiting I borrowed a "fix a flat in a can", I never take these things with me because they can only fix one flat and sometimes they don't work and you will still need to replace the tube with a new one when back in civilization. None the less I was not in the mood to take of the replace the front tube in the souring heat so a few convenient seconds later the tire is rock hard with a filled with a can, compliments of "Vinnige" Fanie.
After filling with fuel wasting some valuable time working out a small change problem or rather the lack thereof, we set of for the last 80km to Sutherland. Oh, and I almost forgot; just as we finish up the filling Red Adventure came flying into town on his back-wheel scattering all the chickens! >:D What chickens? did you see any chickens?
20km out of town my front wheel was flat again and it happened just as we passed some blue-gum trees so I decided the shade will be a good place to replace the tube this time round. The puncture was only a small hole so it confirms my pessimism using these "fix a flat in a can" solutions.
The area had good rains and insect life was abundant so it took only seconds before we were being attacked by vast swarms of horseflies, and these f*k*rs were relentless, I noticed Bruce becoming thinner by the minute being so skinny already. Problem was that even though you can easily brush them off, battling to get the valve back in through its hole you have to bear the pain of about 6 to 10 of these biting you everywhere till you get the nut on the outside first otherwise you have to start all over again.
On the move again and another few kilometers we came across Lorenzo and Rikus sitting by the side of the road waiting.
At first I thought one had an off from all the tire and drag marks in the dust but as we stopped by them Lorenzo pointed to the XT informing us that it's not going to reach town.
While the rest of us were standing around admiring the lowering sun over this amazing landscape, Bruce pulled out his bag of tricks and got the XT running in no time.
Lorenzo went of and the rest of us followed expecting to catch up to him nursing the XT slowly to town. We arrived at the Sutherland Hotel about 20min after him just missing the end of the Curry-cup final.
Koos the hotel owner set up a braai for us, serving lamb rib chops like you can only find in this part of the woods, or should I rather say "bossies".
Most of us were real knackered and although there was some talk about getting to know the locals at the bar we were only getting to know the creaking of our spring mattresses.

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004699_6_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004699_6_1.jpg
    91.9 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004712-2_5_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004712-2_5_1.jpg
    130.9 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004747_4_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004747_4_1.jpg
    154.3 KB
Great stuff guys, keep those airheads running! Unfortunately my airhead is of the on road variety. 
What went wrong with the XT, normally you can fix it with pliers and a wire coat hanger?  If XT's are welcome I would like to join you guys.

The XT's points was welded together and would not open anymore. Bruce had some sanding paper so we refaced the points and set the gap. The timing was completely out and I am sure this was the cause of the points failing. The bike was not perfect after our field repair but good enough to get to Sutherland.

I shot the images in RAW and before processing them I opened up the exposure to give it the overexposed, washed out feeling, then I increased the contrast and moved the saturation bar way over to get the dull unsaturated feeling. Due to the rain the landscape was very green and the pics was to colorful and did not reflect the starkness of the landscapes combined with the heat of the Karoo sun.
The desaturated, washed-out images give I better reflection of what to expect when visiting this area.

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004687_1_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004687_1_1.jpg
    133 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004679_1_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004679_1_1.jpg
    149.4 KB
espresso said:
After all the hassles that I have had with my G/S,  I have decided to change brands.  Can I use my new scoot for the next trip????????????? :pot:????????

Ja, for sure, bring that one along next time then we can load all the broken down bikes on the back.

Magic pics, we have been up Ganaga Pass twice this year and posted reports, but your pics are really special !!

That is a very rare R100GS PD Clasic (which was not sold in Africa as far as I am aware)

A special thanks to Altus for all the organising and baby sitting, but i think next time your buddy keeps driving for a half an hour without seeing a soul he should maybe stop or even better..... turn around  :laughing4: