Classic G/S riders, the Sutherland trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malibu said:
I love the effect...

:thumleft:

But then I figured out a while ago you are something of a genius with that camera of yours! 

Next morning, this is now Sunday the 26th of October, we all gathered for a good hearty breakfast at round 8:30. All of us except for Lorenzo and Rikus who decided they are leaving early on the highway to Cape Town with Lorenzo in the pillion position. Lorenzo was not comfortable traveling with the old XT in the shape it was in. I don't blame him for some of the places we traveled through on that day was really remote and doing n bike recovery from there was not going to be fun.
Our first stop was the new telescope at the observatory. Ockert one of the engineers also a keen adventure rider was going to show us around.
Let me tell you one thing, nothing that you think you know about telescopes or observatories can prepare you for what this telescope looks like and the way it operates, it is incredible. just the shear magnitude of the mirror and the mechanics involved to operate this thing. My pictures do not do justice but there will be some professional guided tours at this telescope from around December. Once I get the information from Ockert I will post it here.

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004788_1_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004788_1_1.jpg
    135.4 KB
  • Mirror_1_1.jpg
    Mirror_1_1.jpg
    114.8 KB
  • Sutherland Trip-004769_3_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004769_3_1.jpg
    122 KB
Awesome trip. Dustdevil, fantastics pics - they really capture the vastness. Also, for organising the route, maps etc too.

Lorenzo, you should have seen dustdevil's eyes light up when he realised he had to chase you down - I witnessed some enthusiastic wrist action as he pulled away. I think he was just dying for an excuse to put the HPN through it's paces. I still at a loss for how you managed to gain 20 mins on us over the last 20 km's to Sutherland - the NOS was on Marcus's bike! You definitely gave everybody a good lesson in how to superheat an XT500 engine! hope it's recovered now.

Howard, don't give up! Don't dump the G/S yet. Next time, I think the whole group must just take more spares in case you break down - I'll make space for a spark plug or two - any volunteers for a frame and forks?

Mike, thanks a mil for noticing the bag that fell off my bike - I vote you for sweeper on the next trip.

Anybody know of a map-reading course - Manfred is looking  :pot: (I shouldn't talk - I was just following the crowd) - next time ride back ::)!

This was the first trip for my new toy and it loves the dust and bumps! Thanks to all for making it a memorable one.

MellowYellow said:
That is a very rare R100GS PD Clasic (which was not sold in Africa as far as I am aware)

I've only had it a few months, and love it - I'm the 4th owner. There are a few around Cape Town - I have seen at least 2 others in the past 6 months. I know that the PD Classic was not originally sold in the UK because of the plastic tank, which UK law prohibited until '97 IIRC (according to www.motorcyclespecs.co.za). I think it might have been sold here, but it's still quite unusual.

Wow what a report.  :thumleft:

Love the effects with the pics and you capture what like enjoy so much of the Karoo and Cederberg.....the wide open spacers.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I will have to come back and read this again.

Oh My Marcus, thatâ??s not very nice, I was actually following you and once I didnâ??t see you (for the XTâ??s mirrorâ??s start to vibrate so much around these sound barrier speeds, I felt like Chuck Yeager) â?¦.. I thought that maybe I overtook you as these great XT 500â??s occasionally do to 1200GSA in these wetdreams.!  :biggrin:

I didnâ??t think that my miscalculation into the wrong direction would cause such a delay.
Riding through these landscape with no-one around creates quiet a sense of calm for the soul, so my sincere apologies to whoever felt delayed from my moment of pleasurable riding. 
Not that our time schedule was top notch to begin with, but then again riding through the Karoo, time is usually not the no.1 priority. Good to know dust devil got an opportunity to really sample the beast heâ??s riding and to really pick the fruits of his labour. Needless to say, the excitement burns bright, knowing what awaits once that my frame returns someday :drif:.

Once again , great ride with all itâ??s ups and downsâ?¦..till next time.

PS-Next time Iâ??ll be wearing my blue suit. :ricky:

Chairman Meow

Attachments

• dakar_1979.JPG
    dakar_1979.JPG
    139.4 KB
After the telescope we set of for Ceres via Oubergse pas. A few k's from town we hit the dirt road and live is beautiful, the morning air was crisp and clear and the road just awesome as it winds its way through the farms. Mike was behind me, a place I prefer him to be as I will not get stranded on my own again. Some distance down Bruce and Manfred was parked in the middle of the road. The way Bruce was fiddling with the two loos straps on the back of his bike made it clear that he is missing is luggage. I did not see anything in the road so I became doubtful if will find it again. A short while later Mike palled up with the bag over his shoulder. He barely noticed part of it showing on the side of the road.
Manfred decided to meander on ahead while Bruce is strapping his bag in place again. This is where things started to go wrong. Manfreds meander was maybe a bit faster than he anticipated and he ended up so far in front that we did not catch up to him before the next turnoff. Bruce being in front as the rest of the group his by now way ahead of us did not see the clearly marked sign reading "Ouberg pas". He did see me stopping though and turned around but the question arise, did the rest of the group saw the turnoff?
We decided to head on for the pass as we agreed the pass to be a collection point. As we reached the top of the pas there was not a soul in sight and I started panicking already. The guys was waiting a short distance down but Manfred was not with them. We waited about 20min and then Marcus went to see if he could find him. My logic was that when realising his mistake Manfred will turn around to where he last saw us and he will see the turnoff clearly coming from the opposite direction.
The other problem hampering our recovery was the fact than cell reception does not exist here for miles around.
Marcus returned after a while with no luck finding him and with no real solution to find Manferd again we decided to continue.
My next logic was telling me he will find the town again and take the highway back to Cape Town witch was exactly what he did. He did try and draw our attention by placing some familiar items on road signs where he waited. Broblem is if you do not know where someone is you also won't find their marks either.
Going down Oubergse pas was spectacular and very steep. Mostly you were dragging you back wheel cautiously going down in 1st and 2nd gear. Some of the hairpin bends is real tight so you do not want to pick up to much speed here.
Down it the valley we crossed some rivers that were badly washed out by recent rains and you can easily bottom out a bike with standard suspension. The HPN's suspension did not think much of this type stuff though and I could just roar through with a light blib of the throttle to get the front wheel floating over the heavily rutted sections.
The landscape here is unreal and one river crossing was truly amazing.
The roads started opening up and soon we were settling in a cruising rhythm on the wide Karoo highways back to Ceres.
In Ceres we had a final stop and drink at the Spur and then did the last section back home through the spectacular Slanghoek valley.

Thanks for a great ride; from to left to right Manfred, Marcus, Larry, Fanie, Bruce,
Altus & Mike in front and for Howard, Lorenzo and Rikus not in the photo.

Lessons learned -1 Check your equipment before starting your trip.  :'(
2 - Stick to your buddy pairs.  :-\
3 - Know your route and where you are in relation to your maps.  ???
4 - If lost always return to the last place you saw other riders.  :xxbah:

:ricky:

Attachments

• Sutherland Trip-004786_2_1.jpg
    Sutherland Trip-004786_2_1.jpg
    132.9 KB
  • Oubergse pas2_3_1.jpg
    Oubergse pas2_3_1.jpg
    133.8 KB
  • Oubergse pas3_2_1.jpg
    Oubergse pas3_2_1.jpg
    111.1 KB
  • River crossing_1_1.jpg
    River crossing_1_1.jpg
    124.6 KB
Hi Guys

Thanks Altus for arranging the trip it was great, one thing I have to add is that I read the map correctly and the rest of you followed MARCUS...
Ha Ha Ha
* One thing I can say is that dirt road is less stress full than tar road *

cheezy i definately need lessons in this posting stuff and including pictures etc, maybe some clever young gay i mean guy can send me a userfriendly manual on this. also when i log on i can't find the thread ??? i think its time i go for another ride.
see you later.. :deal:

I will still have to teach some of the riders how to post their images but for now here is some images by Marcus and Mike.

Attachments

• DSC02783_1_1.JPG
    DSC02783_1_1.JPG
    79.4 KB
  • DSC02790_3_1.JPG
    DSC02790_3_1.JPG
    58.2 KB
  • DSC02789_2_1.JPG
    DSC02789_2_1.JPG
    40 KB
  • DSC02821_4_1.JPG
    DSC02821_4_1.JPG
    110 KB
  • DSC02862_6_1.JPG
    DSC02862_6_1.JPG
    84.1 KB
This is entering Sutherland and then a portrait of Marcus who contributed these images.
The last one is of myself, thanks Marcus its a great pic.

Attachments

• DSC02868_8_1.JPG
    DSC02868_8_1.JPG
    64.5 KB
  • DSC02849_5_1.JPG
    DSC02849_5_1.JPG
    95.2 KB
  • DSC02865_7_1.JPG
    DSC02865_7_1.JPG
    66.8 KB
This next series of images was contributed by Mike.

The 1st image shows me and Howard hopelessly staring at his bike seen as it is the second trip in a row that he was having trouble and had to turn around prematurely.
It seemed like a electrical fault especially as it was intermittent and only happened when the bike was driven for a few K's.
It turned out that the fuel tank breather hose shoved down the centre of the steering stem became blocked by grease that someone must have applied to the inside of the steering stem. I though the grease was only necessary on the steering bearings!!!
The problem was tough that this spoiled Howard aka "Espresso's" trip and we spend some time swapping out coils and ignition control units before we could figure out where this problem came from.

Attachments

• IMG_1841_1_1.JPG
    IMG_1841_1_1.JPG
    86.7 KB
  • IMG_1858_2_1.JPG
    IMG_1858_2_1.JPG
    62.1 KB
  • IMG_1865_3_1.JPG
    IMG_1865_3_1.JPG
    62.6 KB
  • IMG_1871_4_1.JPG
    IMG_1871_4_1.JPG
    72.2 KB
  • IMG_1878_5_1.JPG
    IMG_1878_5_1.JPG
    140.9 KB
More of Mike's images; come on Mike, at least write a comment about your pics!!

- The guys waiting for Lorenzo me and on Gannaga pass, this after Lorenzo decided to take his own route and made me chase him for 15km.
- Stopping in the shade at Middlepos.
- Two donkey town?

Attachments

• IMG_1900_6_1.JPG
    IMG_1900_6_1.JPG
    109.8 KB
  • IMG_1907_7_1.JPG
    IMG_1907_7_1.JPG
    77.1 KB
  • IMG_1923_8_1.JPG
    IMG_1923_8_1.JPG
    45.8 KB