DR650 or DRZ400

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorse

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Yes, another of those "which bike" threads... ???

I have a DL650 which is a fantastic bike, almost impossible to fault. However for a while now I have known that I want to rather get something that is more suited to dirt roads and offroad riding. Although the Strom handles the flat dirt well I am not happy on it when it comes to sand, mud or rough terrain. Feel way too sorry for the bike, cant bare the thought of dropping it.

Eventually decided that the DR650 would be a good option and made peace with the fact that I would be giving up some on-road comfort for the offroad ability. Went into Suzuki with the intention of trading the DL for a DR only to be told that perhaps I am making a mistake going for the DR, should rather consider the DRZ400.

Reasons they give, better suspension, newer technology etc.

Remember these guys had a sure DR sale on their hands and are still trying to get me to change my mind....

My question to you guys as follows:

I know the DRZ400 is a great offroad bike, good engin and suspension and perfect for all day offroad riding, but what about longer trips?

Will it be able to handle my rather heafty bulk, with camping gear, on a 900km trip to a bash?

Am not interested in high speeds, happy to go along at around 120km/h, and 2 bikes not an option at this stage.

Any advice appreciated...