East London - Cradock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JACOVV

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My wife, Milly had to go to Germany for 12 days and being alone for nearly 2 weeks (kids are allready out of the house),  I decided that something has to be done and that is not to be at home  :biggrin:.  Well, I thought this is a great opportunity for me to arrange a bike trip.  3 routes / trips were on my mind, so I started asking around who would be interested.  Eventually the decision was made to choose East London / Katberg / Cradock.

8 Riders (Pat (Irish) – Afican Twin, Johan  – GS800, Roy – KLE500, Neville – KLE500, Petrus – KLR650, Shane – KTM950, Barry – 250 and myself – GSA1200) was keen to join, so now the planning started.  Big thanks to Irish who helped me with planning the route to Katberg.  He grew up in Stutt / East London area and he shared a lot of knowledge and history regarding the area with us. 

On Saturday, 08 May at 06h30 we all met at the Sasol (Abbotsford) Garage as they have the bast coffee.

We immediately left for Stutterheim via tar to save some time as we all knew the local gravel roads that leads up to Stutterheim. 

Here are a few photo’s that were taken during the trip – enjoy!

"Please excuse the quality of the photos as all of us used “mik en druk” and cell phones for photos".

main.php

Filling up at Stutterheim. A small town 70km north of East London, well known for the pine woods etc. It's also know for sheep and cattle farming.

main.php

On the Damwall of Gubu Dam.

The Gubu Dam, situated halfway between Keiskamma Hoek and Stutterheim, gains its name from the crystal clear stream which has its source at the foot of Mt. Thomas, and the valley in which the dam was built. Gubu is a Xhosa word meaning "drum", much like the drums used by the ancient Xhosa healers and witchdoctors who used to gather medicinal herbs from the region

https://jmol.co.za/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=453&g2_serialNumber=1

Photo 1  ???

main.php

An old prison / jail in Keiskammahoek.

Keiskammahoek lies in a basin at the confluence of the Keiskamma and Gxulu rivers below the Amatola Mountains. The name Keiskamma is of Khoekhoen origin, meaning either 'puffadder river' or 'glittering water'. Here Irish gave us all a lecture about the history of this old building.

main.php

main.php

main.php

OK - lets go . . .

main.php

The man with all the knowledge – Pat Henchie alias Irish.

main.php

Neville with Irish and myself at the background.

main.php

Roy

main.php

main.php

Filling up - Keiskammahoek.

main.php

Thanks ABSA  ;D

main.php

That way !!

main.php

On the way to Hoggsback for brunch.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Sandile Damwall

main.php

BMWPE said:
History lesson trip
or
Ride Report  ;D

Keep it coming  :thumleft:

So bietjie kultuur inbring  ;D

main.php

main.php

Barry is leading the pack . . .

main.php

main.php

Going into the woods.

main.php

main.php

Time for a snack.

main.php

main.php

Just before we entered Hoggsback - overlooking the valley.

main.php

And always a KTM nearby  8)  Nice having Shane with us.

main.php

Brunch at the Treehouse.

main.php

Dik gevreet.

main.php

Barry at the T-Junction to Seymour.

main.php

Neville & Shane

main.php

We went to Seymour.

main.php

Shane coming down Michelle’s Pass. I tried to Google the pass, but with no success.

main.php

Johan coming down - nice if you know what to do. 

main.php

At Seymour we were again looking for petrol as the next petrol would be in Tarkastad only. Is Roy worried or is Petrus more worried?

At last petrol was bought at a shack – priceless . . .  ::)

main.php

Katberg Hotel & Spa

main.php

Overlooking the Katberg area.

main.php

Bietjie rus  >:D

main.php

The road ahead.  At the front the road turns to the right and I promise you I was just concentrating not to make any mistakes.  No photos were taken during that +/- 1.5 km.

main.php

On top of the world.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Gates. The farmers in the area are well aware if somebody is in the area.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Royal Hotel in Tarkastad.

Because it was late etc etc, we decided to hit the tar to Cradock.

DAY 2

main.php

Getting ready to leave. Today we will be joined by a friend of mine, Henry.

We will leave Cradock, going to Mortimer and then to Witmos (all gravel) via the mountains. At Witmos we’ll have breakfast and then leave for East London (all tar) as some of us have families waiting.

Here Johan is thinking . . . . 10c for your thoughts Johan.

main.php

Cradock is named after Sir John Cradock – 1812. This is the Dutch Reformed Church in Cradock of which there is a replica in London – St Martin’s-in-the-Fields. When the building was completed, the builder didn’t want to hand over the keys of the church at the opening ceremony as there was still money outstanding. Within a few hours enough money was collected to pay the builder – August 1868.

main.php

Overlooking the Mortimer area.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Breakfast time  ;D

main.php

main.php

From here we were on tar all the way.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Be good.  Jaco

Some really funny comments J  :D

Who was on the KLR, Mr Booth?

Nice

Daggaboer Padstaal Is Bus's In Laws place

really enjoyable,I think I have to spend some quality time in that Gubu area with all those great dams and gravel roads to explore.
Thanks Jaco :thumleft: :thumleft:

JMOL.
You won't find a "Michelle's Pass" - It's "Michel's Pass"  ;)

https://www.hogsback.za.net/history.htm  "The fort and Michel’s Pass to Seymour were named after Colonel Michel who was in charge of the troops in Fort Beaufort."

Would love to ride that area again!
Deon

michnus said:
Some really funny comments J  :D

Who was on the KLR, Mr Booth?

Thanks Michnus.

No - it was Petrus Swanepoel also from Liberty  ;D

DeonS said:
JMOL.
You won't find a "Michelle's Pass" - It's "Michel's Pass"  ;)

https://www.hogsback.za.net/history.htm  "The fort and Michel’s Pass to Seymour were named after Colonel Michel who was in charge of the troops in Fort Beaufort."

Would love to ride that area again!
Deon

Thanks Deon.

I was planning a whole "history" thing as I grew up in Cradock, but TIME . . .

Planning to go back there for a few days in the mountains.

Latest posts