Exploring Oribi Flats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Despite the name, Oribi flats are actually quite hilly. As is most riding in KZN.

Spent the last week or 2 beating my bike back into shape, quite a few things bent and buckled after some mishaps in northern cape, was time for a ride again.

Met up with wannago, and headed off for some roads that I knew, and some that garmin said sounded interesting. It has been raining quite a bit this last week on the coast, but inland the rain has just settled l the dust and turned the scenery green, roads mostly in very good condition!

We started on the beautiful tar road through Oribi nature reserve, and then headed out on district roads down to the bottom of the gorge. Some kids came to admire the bikes, good to see the rivers running full!

643wad.jpg

29dtvti.jpg

Following a leisurely stop, headed further inland. Occasional standing water in the roads, not deep enough for any impressive splashes though... We tried

13zy3ki.jpg

The roads climbed up out of the valley again, some beautiful views of the river. You ride mostly along the crest of the hills, so ground drops away either side, makes for pretty photos.

2v2i1pv.jpg

71tmdf.jpg

Garmin did not disappoint - it seems most rides some little road that garmin says is in great condition, isn't! This little twee spoor led down an eroded hill, to a concrete drift with a 1/2m step onto the drift. You couldn't go around. The X-challenge was easy enough to lift onto the drift, but the poor 650GS, had to lift front onto bash plate, scrape along until could lift onto centre stand mountings, then eventually got back wheel to find the concrete.

Some easy single track to another drift, and then a very eroded up hill. I climbed the embankment and road up the side, wannago went straight up the middle (though needed some pushing through the ruts where the rear couldn't find traction)

14wg46q.jpg

2q3zl2a.jpg

After followed some lovely sweeping high speed gravel, great views, occasional animals, and a blind corner meeting an unexpected taxi... Luckily we both managed to skid to a halt!

The roads slowly dropped back to sea level, some more great scenery to ride through

awpzpf.jpg

All in all, a very relaxing and very enjoyable morning spent out getting some fresh air! Only 160km, relaxed pace, lots of stops... Now back to Basecamp and google earth, get some more tracks going. Until next time  :thumleft: