F 800 GS Seized radiator fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee eS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
On Wednesday afternoon on the way home in some bumper to bumper traffic my oil and warning lights suddenly started flashing, which nearly gave me a heart attack as I checked the oil level on Tuesday and it was 100% full. I stopped and checked the oil level  and to my relieve it was still full. When I started it again everything was ok but when I stopped at home the lights started flashing again. That was when I discoverred that the fan was not coming on. The bike did not overheat or anything the temp gauge was normal but when the fan did not come on when it was supposed to the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.  On inspection I discovered that it felt like it was seized as it was difficult to turn it and it made a scraping noise. I removed the fan which is quite a mission by the way and tried to dissasemble it by pulling the fan off the motor which I could not do. It moved about 1mm and then stopped. I then pushed the fan back against the motor and walla! the fan turned like a new one and the noise was gone. I tested it and it works 100%. All I can think of is that something somehow got in between the fan blade and the motor housing on Sunday's ride and that it came out when I to remove the blades.
So check your fan properly before having it replaced if you are out of warranty like I am.