Finding my feet in a foreign land (I need a garage)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtWarp

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I grew up in the sticks in ZA and moved to PTA in my 20's. Always had ample amounts of free space..

We moved to The Netherlands in 2016 and I had to start from nothing and rented an apartment for the 1st 12 Months:
HvOkSxq.jpg

Not having a garage drove me nuts.

One year later, we bought a town-house-like property, close to Amsterdam.

This had a garage but other issues, like living way too close to my neighbours. I could literally hear my neighbour blowing his nose in his shower. :oops:
Ours was one of a row of houses, sharing the same floors for each level, meaning, I could feel/hear neighbours moving around.
I never could adjust to this.
Also noticed that folks personal space is so small, in these living conditions, that if someone lives on the opposite part of the parking area, they can might as well live in another town.

Oh, we also had a shared parking area.
I hated that as I'm always concerned that someone would ding my car with the careless opening of a door. Was always a constant battle for shade, in the summer.

I could never really sleep well either. You obviously don't always realise when waking up from noise etc, but until we moved to a freestanding house, 5 years later, I only realised what must have been going on.
Sometimes I would wake up at like 2, 2:30, to the noise of what sounded like someone moving furniture about.
WTF?

I really felt like I need a freestanding house and I need a garage.