First ever ride - First ever ride report!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirata

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
So I decided to go recce the Vlakplaas route. Took me a while to figure out the map and my GPS so ended up riding around the R511 a but eventually found my way.
The route was a little shorter than I anticipated, but a good first attempt at a proper gravel trip.
In fact I did find the ride a bit too easy, but seeing I was on my own it was probably better in terms of safety.
The area has a few informal settlements nearby but I didn't feel intimidated. I don't know if I would recommend a lady to do this solo though.
There was also a farm stall selling fresh milk, but I didn't have time to stop as I had to rush off for another ride mentioned in another forum.
I'm looking forward to this weekend now!

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    105.1 KB
  • IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    113.4 KB
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    114.6 KB
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    131.7 KB
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    131.7 KB
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    126.7 KB
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    130.5 KB
BEN TEN said:
wat was jou indrukke van die fiets opdie grond pad

Eish!
My afrikaans isn't too lekker!
I'm guessing you're asking on some type of behaviour about the bike's gravel handling?

pirata said:
BEN TEN said:

Eish!
I'm guessing you're asking on some type of behaviour about the bike's gravel handling?

Yes, he wants to know how the bikes handles on dirt.

Nice RR, we should get together for a ride sometime, wanted to do this route on Youth Day, but decided to just explore the area.

Well on the flat pack gravel it was awesome. I was totally confident. I got up to 100KPH for a short stint.
The down hill was a breeze too. I think going up may have been a bit more slippery, but I wasn't in the mood to try and possibly fail seeing I was there on my own. Not that I don't trust myself!
I even messed about with the TC settings and the bike just did its thing without any fuss.

I'm doing the N00b run with Malibu this weekend DJ. You should join.

glad to hear that you have enjoyed an awsome bike it was born on a dirt road

pirata said:
BEN TEN said:

Eish!

He's asking why you did'nt invite us to ride along

He's asking why you did'nt invite us to ride along
[/quote]

HAHA!
Multiple reasons!
I was reccing the route to coax my wife back on a bike.
I preferred alone so I could embaress myself in private (which I managed not too!)
I'm a 12 year roadie, so didn't want to bore anyone with my first excursion!

Thanks for the RR  :thumleft:

So now you are n Stof DONKIE!!!  :ricky: :ricky:

Welcome!  :biggrin:

alwyn_gs said:
Thanks for the RR  :thumleft:

So now you are n Stof DONKIE!!!  :ricky: :ricky:

Welcome!  :biggrin:

Thanks! Yeah it was lekker. I wish I wasn't so pressed for time for my other ride, otherwise I'd have explored some roads I saw in the distance.

I know that route...i do it when I need some stress relieving or annealing on me after a soul hardening week.

Good to see that the henops is down and the bridge can be crossed. I have had to turn around at that point a couple of times before.

Nice bike... ;)

MillionMiles said:
I know that route...i do it when I need some stress relieving or annealing on me after a soul hardening week.

Good to see that the henops is down and the bridge can be crossed. I have had to turn around at that point a couple of times before.

Nice bike... ;)

Does that bridge get hectic?

Thanks!

Glad to see you took this route, told you it would be nice...

The bridge overflows very bad when it rains for more than a few days...

Next time you decide to take the route again, PM me, I live a few km's from there... if you would like some company

PS.

The last time we went there, they had some weird kinda ritual of some sort just over the bridge where the cars are parked...
There was a guy covered up in robes, and people shaking things... totally freaked me out  ???

I didn't want to stay and find out what it was... so just got the hell out of there

Attachments

• Weird_001.jpg
    Weird_001.jpg
    79.6 KB
EmuL8 said:
Glad to see you took this route, told you it would be nice...

The bridge overflows very bad when it rains for more than a few days...

Next time you decide to take the route again, PM me, I live a few km's from there... if you would like some company

Absolutely!
I was just so short of time and confidence that I went solo and ended up flying through it!

EmuL8 said:
PS.

The last time we went there, they had some weird kinda ritual of some sort just over the bridge where the cars are parked...
There was a guy covered up in robes, and people shaking things... totally freaked me out  ???

I didn't want to stay and find out what it was... so just got the hell out of there

I also noticed something going on in that exact same place by the river. I also very quickly took my pictures from where you did and high tailed it out.
I will say though that everyone on foot I passed waved and smiled.

yes, when i passed over that bridge they were also busy christening people there..u should stop and watch, its quite interesting!
thanks for the report...i know that route , did not know it was called the vlakpaasrooute, its not very long , but its a goodie...

If you look at Emul8's last pic...i was standing there where the wet marks end thinking should i? shouldn't i?....

Im glad I didnt...cause that river can flow thick when it wants to...

KLR+ME=175+90=265kg on that concrete (slippery) in above knee height water? Im sure I would be telling this story without a bike.

Nic RR :thumleft: :thumleft:
Thanks for sharing your experience. :ricky:

Latest posts