First Ride 2013 - And BiganDaft's introduction to the Southern Cape Wild Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
3 January 2013. And what better way to get the year going than a good old bike ride!

Just a quick day trip to blow the cobwebs out and get us going for the year. December has been busy with all the lying on beaches, late night parties etcetera. It's hard work living in this part of the world.
cheesy.gif

Early start - some riders not quite awake yet...
rolleyes.gif
*cough* Dirtcopper & Albert! *cough*!
evil610.gif

And joining us for the first time today Bigandaft on his magnificent Triumph Scrambler that had us absolutely green with envy.

IMG_2859_zpsda394f3c.jpg

The plan for today - Ride the seven passes to Knysna, ride into the Knysna Forest and have breakfast somewhere on Kom-se-Pad, cross the mountain via Prince Alfred's Pass to De Vlugt and ride West through the Klein Karoo and cross the mountain to the coast again via Montagu Pass. An easy 300km.
cool.gif

Some scenery along the Seven passes route - Kaaimans Pass:

P6220006_zps2ed7132e.jpg

Silver River Pass:

P6220022_zps97f78d07.jpg

A quick stop at the Touw River bridge.

IMG_2861_zps09625f3e.jpg

This is the last surviving iron bridge on the old road (Seven Passes road) between George and Knysna. The ironwork of the 95ft clear span was built in 1897 by Messrs Braithwaite and co. of West Bromwich, England and shipped out to Mossel Bay. It was then conveyed in fourteen wagon loads to the site over two months. The estimated cost of the ironwork was 3850 Pounds and the approximate weight of the entire bridge was 57 English Tons. The completed bridge was opened for transport in 1898.

IMG_2866_zps202e4ac3.jpg

The view from the bridge:

IMG_2865_zps31c6c29f.jpg

Another quick regroup on Phantom Pass near Knysna.

IMG_2869_zps163dd924.jpg

The day started out as a glorious day, but rain had been predicted and we could see the cold front stating to move in by the time we headed into the forest. The view towards Knysna Heads:

IMG_2871_zps89a3cf5a.jpg

First scenes as we head into the Knysna Forest:

IMG_2876_zpsdaaae18f.jpg

Breakfast stop. If you go on a breakfast run and you end up at a Wimpy or something rather than a spot like this, you're doing it wrong.

IMG_2884_zpsb369c4ac.jpg

It's good being out on my own bike again.

IMG_2882_zpsf5dde396.jpg

Another shot (one of many) of that magnificent Triumph:

IMG_2887_zps9b858f35.jpg

Next up - a leisurely ride through Kom-se-Pad *Jeremy Clackson voice* the best Dual Sport Biking road... in the world...
cool.gif

IMG_2889_zps55ba573d.jpg

Interesting tree growth next to the road:

IMG_2890_zps411f1093.jpg

This expanse of forest is huge and dense. In march 1999 a helicopter crashed in this forest and it lay undetected until it was found seven years later by a forest worker who was preparing cut lines for the harvesting of indigenous trees.

IMG_2894_zps2a62b1d0.jpg

IMG_2897_zps9b552930.jpg

Fresh Elephant dung was found on this road not more than a couple of weeks ago. Every time I ride on this road I expect to see a Knysna Elephant around the next corner. Seeing one of those elusive elephants would be a dream come true.

According to forestry records 12 elephants survived by 1920 and in 1962 only 10 were counted. After having remained static for 50 years, the Knysna elephant population decreased rapidly and in 1983 only four were recorded. Recent research, including DNA analysis of the dung, puts the herd count at around 6, with young animals present.

IMG_2904_zpsd1c3cfbf.jpg

Kom-se-pad joins Prince Alfred's Pass, which takes you over the mountain into the Klein Karoo. Just as scenic!

IMG_2908_zpsa632fff8.jpg

On the Northern side the Flora and scenery changes quickly, adapting to the lower rainfall.

IMG_2910_zps104c0fb9.jpg

IMG_2913_zpsd7d3dd80.jpg

But when the road dips into valleys you find yourself in forest area again. Albert taking a break:

IMG_2914_zps6634ed47.jpg

This was the first ride he's organized. How do you think it went?
cool.gif

in De Vlugt we make the compulsory stop at Angies G-spot:

IMG_2918_zps89b4d7b9.jpg

Lots of other bikes around, including Berm_Rooster and HP Freak.
rider10.gif
rider10.gif

IMG_2921_zpsc932e13d.jpg

The whole time we were there bikes arrived and left. Awesome riding country. And then the rain came...

IMG_2923_zps2a597194.jpg

We waited that shower out and left before the roads got too wet. This specific section gets notoriously snotty and it took me an hour to cover the 20km in the wet with my CTX200 once. Luckily it wasn't that wet yet!

IMG_2926_zpsa9d772bc.jpg

IMG_2927_zps920c6aed.jpg

Regrouping at the Langkloof road, and using some hypothermia prevention.
winka.gif

IMG_2931_zps27e466bf.jpg

Crossing the mountain into the coastal belt and the rain was really coming down. But we have a custom to stop on Montagu Pass so that's what we did. It's an awesome spot to officially end a ride. Adventure rides don't end in a Wimpy.
icon_mrgreen.gif

IMG_2932_zpscc6d4608.jpg

And a last shot on the way down, and home.

IMG_2935_zpse29e872e.jpg

Thanks for an awesome ride guys. And Bigandaft - we hope to ride with you again soon!
icon_thumleft.gif

Pistonpete said:
Man but that Triumphs SO cool 8)

PP you have no idea. 8) I find myself increasingly drawn to these old school type bikes like the Scrambler, the Ural etc.

DirtCopper said:
Thx TR nice RR :snorting: :thumleft:

:thumleft:

TR, you are a keyboard ninja. I wish I had 1/2 your talent in puting a story together.
Thanks to Albert for sorting out the ride and buns, Dirt Copper and Oom Pad for the "refreshments" along the route.
You guys rock.
The Scrambler is a lot more work than the 800XC, but as far as class, it's stands on it's own.
Thank you for the compliments.

Dis darem 'n lekker sirkelroete. Ek wens ek kon dit saam met julle gery het. Die Truimph is ook iets besonders vir my, sal heeltyd agter hom wil ry net vir die dreuning.  :ricky:

That really is a wonderful part of the WC. Nice that you guys had a Gr8 ride. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us :thumleft: :thumleft:

There are some comedians in the vicinity who like to collect poop from the Elephant park and scatter it in the forest.
Especially when the marathon is being run.

Trailrider said:
Pistonpete said:
Man but that Triumphs SO cool 8)

PP you have no idea. 8) I find myself increasingly drawn to these old school type bikes like the Scrambler, the Ural etc.

DirtCopper said:
Thx TR nice RR :snorting: :thumleft:

:thumleft:
Bru...you have no idea how much im hankering for one of those beauties.... O0

jaybiker said:
There are some comedians in the vicinity who like to collect poop from the Elephant park and scatter it in the forest.
Especially when the marathon is being run.

:imaposer:

Great pics and story Trailrider, have done that parts some years ago with my bakkie, not yet by bike (bucket list entry # 5468152).  For us Karookinders that forest is something unreal!

J Viljoen said:
For us Karookinders that forest is something unreal!

Vir ons boskinders ook. ;D

Tyd dat ons weer 'n slag in die bos gaan slaap dink ek.

Ek kan party dae nie dink ons voorouers het uit daai Oos en Suid Kaap getrek nie,  dis waaragtig mooi daar.  Thanks TR for a lekker RR and baie mooi kiekies  :thumleft:

Beautifull pictures. About time for a new year single track ride, fire up that CTX  :ricky: