Friday ride in Southern Cape with pillion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walletjies

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
I posted my planned route and Trailrider gave some valuable input.

How many things can go wrong on a trip, none of which is bike related?

First, the day started later than planned as we had to take the kids to Oudtshoorn.  Then I had to change my route as I planned to start from le Roux station.

I saw a route just outside Oudtshoorn, I wanted to do gravel to Herold and then tackle the first pass for the day.
At the turnoff was a roadblock, that was the easy part as everything was in order, but this greeted as across the Bakenskraal road:
(Image taken from Google earth!)

GOPR0002_zpsb61f44a6.jpg

The reason why I had to take a google earth image -
The GoPro was still in the car!

OK, the road is closed in any case let's go back, get the camera and then hit the tar to Herold to get the trip going.

Flew past the roadblock after we got the camera, the GPS suggested a road to get back to our planned route, I obeyed and was grateful because it was a delight to ride the road to Heimersrivier.

GOPR0003_zpsd9325c5c.jpg

Why an image form Google earth?
Well, we did not take a picture there.
(The rest will all be our own pics!)

As I said, I enjoyed the road, the next pics was taken from the turnoff to Herold.

GOPR0004_zps926238df.jpg

GOPR0005_zps0ce25528.jpg

GOPR0006_zps0e1c6981.jpg

GOPR0009_zps1991922f.jpg

GOPR0019_zps83945e9c.jpg

GOPR0023_zps5f3a5f0b.jpg

GOPR0028_zps7d21f627.jpg

GOPR0032_zpsbdf0ddc6.jpg

GOPR0033_zpsfdbd6459.jpg

R50 van ABSA vir die persoon wat kan sê wat die poort se naam is tussen Heimersrivier en die N9.
I write this in Afrikaans as I don't know what a poort is in English!

It is always nice to ride a road for the first time!

My wife was clicking away, I am trying to post only the best.

Ek kon nie die naam onthou nie, maar skuld jou!

Ingeskryf. Wag vir die res.  :thumleft:

Terloops,  die pad wat gesluit was het n detour verby die proefplaas wat daar by die eerste garage in oudshoorn uitkom. (Vanaf die geslote hek So 500m na 1km terug dorp toe, Net voor jy oor die klein bult-bruggie gaan)

Dankie GRyPH

Die spietkop het so iets genoem, ek was bietjie gestres oor tyd en wou nie weer êrens verkeerd ry nie.

GRyPH said:
Ingeskryf. Wag vir die res.  :thumleft:

Terloops,  die pad wat gesluit was het n detour verby die proefplaas wat daar by die eerste garage in oudshoorn uitkom. (Vanaf die geslote hek So 500m na 1km terug dorp toe, Net voor jy oor die klein bult-bruggie gaan)
Daai pad is gesluit omdat daar n lekke swemgat op die pad is en die drol wat oorkant hom woon nie
van die geraas gehou het elke keer as iemand bo van die krans afspring nie.(veral die girls se volume)
Ek was gelukkig om nog daar te kon swem en afspring.

Ek het jare terug op Oudtshoorn gebly, maar nooit van sulke lekker gate geweet nie!

Walletjies said:
Ek het jare terug op Oudtshoorn gebly, maar nooit van sulke lekker gate geweet nie!
Ja maar ek praat ook nou van 19honderd83!! :imaposer:

chrisL said:
Walletjies said:
Ja maar ek praat ook nou van 19honderd83!! :imaposer:

Shoe.  Dis amper amper voor my tyd.

Ek het altyd gewonder hoekom die pad gesluit is.

Waar die res? :deal:

Die pad is gesluit want hy is uitgekalwe onder. Jy sal nog daar ry dan ry jy IN die swemgat! :D

Moes inderhaas terugkom Kaap toe.
Nie nou lus vir rekenaar, sal môre res doen.

Waar was ons ...

Years ago I worked for Telkom in Oudtshoorn and while the Outeniqua Pass was under construction I went over the Montagu Pass in a bakkie, but this was my first time on two wheels and very special to do it with my wife.

Herold side of the mountain.

GOPR0058_zpsf9e1b59a.jpg

I was warned about GP traffic in the pass, we did encounter a couple of them and also some bikes.  They were all on there best behavior, often it is the locals that think they now the pass that comes flying past and again it happened to us with a CAW bakkie that was driving way to fast.

GOPR0059_zpsb76b5325.jpg

GOPR0071_zpsa5d38a20.jpg

GOPR0077_zpsf8811031.jpg

Going down the other side

GOPR0080_zps1b86f7e7.jpg

GOPR0082_zpsa6af2064.jpg

GOPR0083_zpsdbea32b5.jpg

20121228_094043_zps41cd878c.jpg

20121228_094114_zps9f39c1cc.jpg

GOPR0107_zpse871fa4f.jpg

GOPR0109_zps77a0532c.jpg

Then the next hickup - the GOPRO started to give trouble, locked up so bad that I had to remove the battery to get it going again.
I did this twice, the up-side is that we will have to do this trip again to take more photos!

Through George and then it was the pleasure of doing the four passes road to Knysna for the first time.

GOPR0155_zpsfe77facc.jpg

GOPR0156_zps70802756.jpg

20121228_102724_zpse2fcb8bc.jpg

20121228_102733_zps167eeb84.jpg

GOPR0158_zpsed320ab8.jpg

GOPR0169_zpsc61d930e.jpg

GOPR0178_zps57963eda.jpg

GOPR0187_zps6d70ab5e.jpg

GOPR0192_zpsecf0918d.jpg

The vegetation changes dramatically from the Klein Karoo where we stated to here close to the coast.

GOPR0225_zps88ae6ee4.jpg

Our first visit to Karatara

GOPR0237_zps17270448.jpg

If I have to retire here, this will be the spot for a runway to do my other passion - model planes and helicopters

GOPR0244_zpsfe837e0f.jpg

This is my beauty ...
Extra with 30cc petrol engine

IMAG0003_zpsaa672fc2.jpg

Driving into Knysna the road was very busy, I was looking forward to get to St. Francis pass.

GOPR0251_zpsefd8c4ce.jpg

We stopped at the same restaurant were we ate last year when we did St. Francis pass from Avontuur side.

GOPR0256_zps693a956b.jpg

We sat down to order, out came the phones to catch up on messages, when we got the news -

Dante, our Miniature Pincher, ran away looking for us.  We left him with my mom at le Roux station.
My wife said that there is no way that she will sit and eat while she don't know where Dante is.

Now, Dante is probably the most photographed dog in the world, all complements of my wife.

IMG_7510_zpse3fa6685.jpg

When Riebeecker had the skaapkop braai earlier in the year, Dante got the left-overs!

IMAG0004_zpsc3e27646.jpg

So, there goes my St. Francis pass, we rushed back to Oudtshoorn on tar and then to le Roux station.
I hope there is no photos coming for me in the post!

After half an hour's search, he came out of the vineyard at the back of the house!

All's well that ends well, now I have to do that trip again to get some photos of St. Francis pass.

Prince Alfred's Pass.

Nou kry ek ook R50? :biggrin:

Nice ride!

Trailrider said:
Prince Alfred's Pass.

Nou kry ek ook R50? :biggrin:

Nice ride!

Maandag blues.

Ja, kom haal gou!

Beautiful RR, and so glad that you found your dog  :thumleft:

MissM said:
Beautiful RR, and so glad that you found your dog  :thumleft:

Thanks, I can't image going to bed and not knowing where he was!

:thumleft:    Lekker!