Front end troubles on the AT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
And the saga continues....

The front end of my AT feels very loose in the bends. This started after I'd replaced the steering head bearings. I did everything according to the Hayes manual including adhering to the torque settings. When I asked my local mechanic he recommended loosening the steering head nut a little. I've played around with various settings but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Then I fitted new tires - ContiEscapes. Due to a combination of a brain fart and stingyness I ordered a S rated front tyre whereas the recommended tyre for the AT is H rated. I figured the speed rating is not that important since I never travel at the speed of even an S rated tyre. The "looseness" has however gotten worse. Does the H rated tyres have a stiffer sidewall? It's a bit better when I inflate the front tyres to about 2.1 bar but the front still seems to be very easily upset by imperfections in the road like overbanding and white lines. Tonight I was travelling on the motorway at around 120-130km/h and every time I rode on the white lines or overbanding the bike felt like it was going to develop a full-blown tank slapper. Any ideas?