Garden Route Toy Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
This is a Ride Report with a difference (for me anyway). I joined the annual Toy Run in the Garden Route, a charitable event for unprivileged children. Not much you can report on on an all tar ride, but I did see some interesting machines and the ride from George to Plett along the Garden route is not too shabby either.

ToyRun.jpg

From the Toy Run website:

"This goodwill “ride” has grown into an incredible motorcycling phenomenon that has to be seen and experienced to be believed. The event has become known, far beyond the motorcycling world, as one of Southern Africa's most significant charity initiatives. It's an awesome motorcycle procession and the biggest biker gathering of the year, but primarily, it is the day when the country's loudest group opens their hearts to its most unheard."

The Toy Run is the largest Motorcycle charity event in the world with over 50 000 motorcycles participating in South Africa. It is the largest combined service club event in Africa.

It's early Saturday morning and the bikes start to gather at the rendezvous point near George:

PB280002.jpg

Some Dual Sport bikes around. I would notice the GS on the left again later carrying more than just toys!

PB280003.jpg

Some Wild Dogs on the ride too. Lemac:

PB280027.jpg

Lots of Beemers on the ride too and only about 3 KTMs.

KTW.jpg

Some in-ride shots. All photos in this report were taken by Asterix. We rode East (into the sun) which was not good for photography, but he did well none the less.

PB280033.jpg

Just Cruisin'
cool.gif

Cruiser.jpg

PB280035.jpg

This is the GS I referred to earlier. Look closely - a Jack Russel is riding with!
biggrin.gif

PB280039.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja: "Supabikes" are not the most comfortable bikes for a pillion. Check out the high heels.

Ninja.jpg

This is more like it! Check out this beauty.
cool.gif
The pillion is also much more comfortable than the pillion in the picture above.

PB280064.jpg

Another cool bike - the new Yamaha Tenere!

PB280067.jpg

The Legend: Honda Africa Twin:

PB280075.jpg

Cruising past the Buffalo Bay turn-off.

PB280077.jpg

What a beaut!

PB280081.jpg

Closer to Knysna. Check the Can Am approaching in the background.

PB280085.jpg

The Can Am powered my a 990 Rotax:

PB280102.jpg

PB280104.jpg

500cc scooter:

PB280105.jpg

BMW HP2:

PB280114.jpg

Some of the weird and wonderful in the parking lot:

PB280124.jpg

PB280131.jpg

Not quite a Can Am
icon_mrgreen.gif

PB280132.jpg

PB280136.jpg

Another Honda legend:

PB280137.jpg

The mass ride through Plett:

PB280145.jpg

PB280167.jpg

PB280180.jpg

At the gathering the toys were collected and thirst could be quenched. Spoke to quite a few Wild Dogs. Wave Rider, Lemac, LGF, GrysAlp, Saaykie - nice seeing you guys
icon_thumleft.gif

LGF, Wave Rider and I decided to hit some dirt on the way back home. More pics courtesy of Asterix:

PB280218.jpg

Wave Rider:

PB280223.jpg

Asterix wanting to exchange the pillion seat and do some riding of his own
icon_mrgreen.gif

PB280225.jpg

LGF took us on a nice loop through the Knysna forest. This is so much better than the tar N2!
cool.gif

P9010155.jpg

P9010130.jpg

Unfortunately our camera's batteries died and we have no more pictures after this. Wave Rider, Asterix and I had Pizza and a cold one in Wilderness before heading home. Thanks Guys. Another good one
icon_thumleft.gif

image001.gif

Sorry to have missed this one. Had visitors. Joined a small group from Swellendam and Heidelberg this morning.
Donated some toys at the hospital in Riversdale.
Nice pics Asterix.

Really sad to mis this one.

Why stand on tar?  Is the HP2 Seat that bad?

Very sad I missed it in the end! 

Hoe het die helmet cam toe gewerk?

Die cam werk goed. Die HD is fantasties, maar my laptop sukkel bietjie om so groot file te hanteer ;D Ek het op die run die SD setting gebruik wat obviously nie so goed soos die HD is nie. Sal so bietjie later links gooi.

I love those Can Am's, if ever I wanted a road bike, that would be it. That other DIY Can Am looked pretty fun from here. Wonder what the story is behind it.

Looked good. I missed it as I'm in Natal and my bike in Port Elizabeth.

Happy trails.

Smidty said:

Cracked myself for the HP2 rider  :imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:

What an asshole!  :ricky:   :pot:

Hey smidty
thats not a nice thing to say he is actually a great guy
you might meet him one day at Mountain Pastures  :deal:

The DIY "Can Am" had a little scooter engine and back wheel.

There were more HP2's than I expected (just like there were lots at the EC Bash). They seem quite popular.

We only saw one 800GS and that was for sale at the venue. ;D Also didn't see a XT660. Go figure.

BMWPE said:
Smidty said:

Cracked myself for the HP2 rider  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

What an asshole!  :ricky:  :pot:

Hey smidty
thats not a nice thing to say he is actually a great guy
you might meet him one day at Mountain Pastures  :deal:

Sorry!!
Would like to meet him, and will apologise in person  :imaposer:  :pot:

Enjoyed the ride - something different!!! Sorry missed you guys at the school, had to move coming back!! 40 mins  :pot:

Pistonpete said:
What happened to the helmut cam?

I cant embed video on this forum (lets hope we can when the forum moves to the new setup).

Hang on, I am working on a plan!

GRyPH said:
Hoe het die helmet cam toe gewerk?

Pistonpete said:
What happened to the helmut cam?

I'm still working out how everything works and things will look a lot better as soon as I can get a hold of Trailblazer, but, I have embedded some clips in the RR on my blog.

Looky here: https://trailriderreports.blogspot.com/2009/11/2009-toy-run.html  :deal:

Helmet cam footage will ad a whole new dimension to Ride Reports in future 8)

ek like die helmet cam shots!  Dit lyk great!  :thumleft: :ricky:

Latest posts