GNCC Racing Holiday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from my first GNCC race. Left speechless. Something that one has to experience oneself. Everything is bigger, more impressive and unfortunately also harder. I cannot imagine doing this every second week or even wanting to do this for a living.

I have seen a little of Kenny's life and I think that I would not last long. My next race already feels too soon, let alone trying to ride these things competitively.

We arrived on Friday night at Steele Creek, Morganton to a traffic jam. Motorhomes as far as the eye can see. They are really easy to set up. Park, level and start the generator. Luxury in motion. The weather was cold but the RV was heated. Had pizzas which we picked up on the way.

It was freezing the next morning. Dressed up like an Eskimo. Quads raced on the Saturday. Had a chance to walk the course which was a mission in itself. The climbs steep and decents suicidal. What had I let myself into? This was not going to be much fun. Doing one lap looked like an achievement in itself. Was told that I had to do three laps. Well, all I could do was try.

Saturday night was spaghetti provided by one of the competitors mothers. Made for some interesting conversation. Was told how dangerous bull riding is. No kiding. Dirt bike riding seemed prity dangerous to me.

Sunday morning arrive too soon and I was on the start line ready to "go GNCC racing". Kenny helped me with the dead engine start. The announcer yelled - "ten seconds" and my heart was pounding. The flag dropped and off I was. Was last through the holeshot - managed to keep my position throught the race at least!

The track changed dramatically thoughout the race. Ruts became canyons, tracks became woops and hill climbs a parking lot. Bottle necks were minimal except for on my last lap, the climb became so cut up it was just about impossible to get up.

Dave looked after the pits and look a few pictures. I did refuel and get some additional water, otherwise it was race, race and race. Did manage to get thrown off by missjudging a woop - some low flying. Nothing broken but a serious close call. Slowed down and concentrated on the terrain.

Did do three laps which was a surprise. Not sure what I am going to do the next race. It was a long way. May not be that brave again. Need to get some more riding time in. Should help.

Steph did well with a nineth place in his class on four laps. More enthuisatic about the next race, maybe even doing the afternoon class.

Kenny was amazing to watch and to see the pits in operation. The pros are just insane. They have no sense or fear of danger. They rode down decents on the gas flying the woops. Just cannot fathom how they do it. Kenny got a twelth place in his class.

Cleaning up bikes and kit today. Two days preperation for a two hour race.

My admiration and respect to all competitive racers. I have been at this for a week and just cannot imagine how I am going to survive another two weeks of this.

Attachments

• DSC02046.JPG
    DSC02046.JPG
    87.4 KB
  • DSC02058.JPG
    DSC02058.JPG
    94.5 KB
  • DSC02026.JPG
    DSC02026.JPG
    93.4 KB
  • DSC02046.JPG
    DSC02046.JPG
    87.4 KB
  • DSC02026.JPG
    DSC02026.JPG
    93.4 KB
Had Susan's famous hamburgers and sweet tea last night. Good stuff and watched some Super Cross. Went to the movies and got some popcorn and butter. Really good stuff. Went to Knowing. Not bad.

Doing some trail clearing today. Bikes not on the agenda - still resting.

Figured out what happened on Sunday - was beat up bad. Did not see the guy who did it but he must have been the mother of all bouncers.

Splash said:
Figured out what happened on Sunday - was beat up bad. Did not see the guy who did it but he must have been the mother of all bouncers.

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Good luck for the next race  :thumleft:

Last night was our first meal at home. Kenny showed off his cooking skills. Survived to tell the tale. Made spaghetti mince which was not half bad. Otherwise, would have had a long walk to Susans house.

Woke up this morning to rain. Been lucky with the weather so far. Decided to give riding a try anyway. Did not last more than five minutes. So slippery. Could not get up anything. Dropped the bike for just about no reason. Decided to call it a day. Not feeling that strong or confident. Need a little more recovery time. Kenny went off and was enjoying himself. Next Sundays race may be muddy. Not sure how I am going to cope. Am here so I had better just give it a go anyway.

May go for a swim this afternoon. Should feel better. Tomorrow is another day.

Glad to see you having fun.  U should have rain/showers for the next 3 days.  Well we do in Atlanta so you shouldn't be much different.

Raining cats and dogs today. Went to the gym and had a good workout. Not keen to go riding in this weather. Should get the practice, but boy is it tough. Will see what this afternoon looks like.

Got two DVD's last night - Transporter 3 and Columbus Day. Fell asleep halfway though. One seems to have the best sleeps infront of the TV.

Yesterday afternoon turned out to be more interesting than I though. Helped (watched) Kenny replace seals on front forks and oil on a shock.

Another day racing - what a life. My desk does not seem such a bad place after all.

X Banana Boy said:
Glad to see you having fun.  U should have rain/showers for the next 3 days.  Well we do in Atlanta so you shouldn't be much different.
The ground is wet and slippery. Hoping it clears up a little sooner.

Went to Hooters last night. Got a phone number and a signed t-shirt. Went with Dave, did not have to watch what we ate. Kenny got the night off. Had beer, chicken and ice cream.

Did some stationary cycling yesterday afternoon. Raining and raining. Not brave enough to climb on a dirt bike. Weather forecast is rain for the next two days. Should be clear on Sunday.

Plan to do a regional race on Sunday - going to be a mud bath. May not be a good idea but have a bike and will ride it I guess.

Still raining. The local motorcross has been cancelled. The race we planned has been cancelled (Mid-Eastern). Looking at doing a North Carolina race now. National Enduro (New Orleans) also cancelled.

Not sure that is going to happen tomorrow. May go for a ride in the woods if all else fails.

Things getting a little boring. The weather is unusual. What can one do. Global warming has struck.

Went to Yamatos last night and tried to go bowling. Could not get a free lane. Not the only ones with that idea. Went to the cinema instead - watched 12 Rounds. Not bad.

Got up this morning to a beautiful day of sunshine. Cold and the wind is blowing but it is not raining. Need to get onto a bike.

Had dinner at Broncos last night. Did a session at the gym.

Not sure yet what we are going to do today. The trails are still wet.

One week countdown to the next GNCC race.

Had Susans famous burgers last night. Excellent home made food. Watched Supercross on TV. Got to bed early - body rebelling.

Got to do some riding yesterday. The trails still a little wet and slippery. Feel that I cannot ride a bike and out of breath. This is hard riding. Took it easy but still ended up in a tree. The bike is fine. No damage yet.

Another beautiful day - sun shinning and no rain. Went to gym for a short workout. Have been told that I need to continue training when I get home. May not be able to keep that promise. Definately getting fitter.

Sundays race is too soon. Need more time to practice. Now that I know what I am in for, I am nervous, very nervous. The next race is going to be a faster track than the previous one. More risks.

Kenny off this morning to fetch three pallets of tyres. Racing is not a cheap exercise.

Links to two videos (not mine):

https://www.williamsonracing.com/downloads/justin_team_southafrica.wmv

https://www.williamsonracing.com/downloads/Ians_House.wmv

Had a great day riding yesterday. Vance went out for a ride, wrist in cast and a little cautious. His son, Evin rode with. Got to see some more of the forest. Also rode the new trails we cut. Good stuff.

Getting better and feeling more confident. Forests are not easy. Managed to drop the bike on a log - bit ambitious and the bike slipped out. Needed to get square. The trails are dryer and traction is good.

Had Subway's foot long last night. Watched a movie on TV and stayed awake. Was a challenge. I love my bed.

Went shopping this morning at Walmart and planning to ride Robbies turn-track this afternoon. Rain forecast for this evening. Sunday should be dry at least.

Enjoyed tearing up Robbies turn-track yesterday. Started off slowely, not confident. Ended the day getting a feel for the track and bike. Managed to get out of first gear and let it rip. The terrain is challenging. Felt satisfied with the ride. A good day.

Rained again last night. Not so sure about getting on a bike today. Will see later.

Had a good session in the gym this morning.

Attachments

• DSC02112.JPG
    DSC02112.JPG
    90.1 KB
  • DSC02115.JPG
    DSC02115.JPG
    81.2 KB
  • DSC02145.JPG
    DSC02145.JPG
    88.4 KB
  • DSC02150.JPG
    DSC02150.JPG
    60.8 KB
  • DSC02155.JPG
    DSC02155.JPG
    82.8 KB
More

Attachments

• DSC02158.JPG
    DSC02158.JPG
    83.8 KB
  • DSC02176.JPG
    DSC02176.JPG
    84.1 KB
  • DSC02157.JPG
    DSC02157.JPG
    83.7 KB
Rained again, what is new. Did not ride yesterday. Went to gym and had a swim. Should do some riding today.

Got on the bike yesterday and shat myself - slippery does not do justice to the track. Confined my riding to a short muddy loop. Managed to get some control. Man, my arms hurt. Just touch the gas and the bike swings around. Tiring. Getting more confidence. Cannot wait to get back onto a 2T.

Hooters on the menu - had a great time. Do not ask how I managed to end up on a table. Someone thought it would be funny.

Getting bikes prepared today. Sunday is looming.

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    86.1 KB
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    98 KB
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    93.4 KB
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    93.9 KB
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    92.2 KB
What's with the Rabbit food on your plate A.? Are you on a diet.  ??? :peepwall:

blazes said:
What's with the Rabbit food on your plate A.? Are you on a diet.  ??? :peepwall:
You should be proud of me. It is actually all Kenny's fault. Only ate hamburgers when he was not around. And no chocolates for three weeks. What one has to do to race a bike.

Being my second GNCC race, it turned out to be a great success. Still basically finishing first from the back. Was much more confident and relaxed and ended the day happy and not broken either.

The weather was good and got a bit of a suntan. This was a change from the previous race when I looked like an Eskimo. The terrain was easier with no major hills. They made up for this with some tight forest tracks. One’s handlebars felt too wide trying to navigate between trees and missing bikes. No rain and no mud as well.

The track was not far from where we stayed so we left late Saturday morning. Got to watch the pro quads racing at 1:00pm. This gave us a chance to walk part of the track which is always a good idea. The quads disappeared for long periods of time. We presumed they were on long trails. Actually, they were in first gear trying not to climb up trees.

Had my first accident before making it to bike inspection. The bike stalled and fell over. Could then not get the bike to start again. I had to push it back only to discover that I had forgotten to turn the fuel tap on. By this stage the electric start had also given up. This was an hour before the start of my race and panicking. The KTM team came to the rescue. With some fiddling they discovered that the start button was full of mud. Some cleaning and a new fuse for just in case no more excuses not to race. I would have been disappointed.

The start went well and the bike being familiar. My strategy was to relax and pace myself. I started with the First Year Racers which put me at the back of the start, allowing time to get into a rhythm. This was good advice. Was easier to keep up with the pack. Unfortunately, this did not last long. I was lapped at the end of my first lap – riding at half the pace of the leaders. How they ride forest trails fast and not crash is a mystery to me. They have awesome bike control but also seem to have a sixth sense for getting out of trouble. A look at race photographs shows some interesting riding and bike positions.

Racedaypix.com took some good pictures and I got one enlarged to poster size. A good memento for the trip.

I managed to complete two laps which was disappointing. Had expected to at least do three. Could stand once I got off my bike at the end. The track was technical and would have hurt myself if I was any more ambitious.

GNCC races are addictive and exceptionally demanding. Anyone doing these races every two weeks would fast become competitive. Not riding flat-out but having good bike control. I think the GNCC team have a good formula and see why they attract large fields every race.

I watched the pro riders in the afternoon. Can only describe them as “chaos in motion”. Flat out through woops, ruts, around trees and through creeks. If insanity came in a bottle, these guys have overdosed. The riders race relatively close together keeping the race alive. One of the “lite” riders (250cc class) was near the front and must have given them a good run. Should be interesting the day he moves to the pro class.

The day ended with a trip to a Steakhouse and some good food and great company.

Three weeks have just vanished. I trip of a lifetime and not only have I gaining some riding skills but a whole lot of new friends.

Thanks to all for making my stay the “best times of my life”.

Attachments

• DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    68.6 KB
  • DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    66.5 KB
  • DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    92.7 KB
  • DSC00151.JPG
    DSC00151.JPG