Graaff-Reinet 2 Nieu-Bethesda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerrorSA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
It was an absolute pleasure to ride the Karoo dirt roads with DeonDJ, he lived in Graaff-Reinet for 16 years.
Our 200km trip took us 8 hours, now that is what I call 'Lekker Kuier".
We stopped and said hi to every farmer that we saw, and DeonDJ knew them all!

Our trip started up the Oudeberg Pass.
Outride1.jpg

We turned right and crossed the Bloukrans River. One of few places where we saw water.
Outride2.jpg

BloukransSmall.jpg

At Nieu-Bethesda we stopped for tea and a 'Plaas Scone'.
Nieu-Bethesda1.jpg

DSC02587Small.jpg

Owl House was full of tourist as usual.
Nieu-Bethesda2.jpg

A layer of water surprised us both as DeonDJ had to control a slide or end up in a dam!
Slimebridge1Small.jpg

OutrideSmall.jpg

Went past my father-in-law's old family farm Highlands.
Outride6Small.jpg

Stopped at my wife's cousin's farm Blaauwater for an unplanned visit and were immediately invited for lunch.
Blaauwater.jpg

Our trip back past Koloniesplaas took us past Sheep sharing and a stop with some local DS riders.
DSC02598Small.jpg

MeetingLocals.jpg

This area offers excellant riding and there is plenty of accommodation on the local farms.
Outride5Small.jpg

Great ride. 8)
This is one of those rides that quite a few wild dogs will come on if
some one would envite us on. ;)

Lekker area to ride that.

Be warned about those wet cement crossings. they are covered in slime with two tracks where the bakkies ride. Miss those tracks and you slide. Had two bikes go down on the way to the Dolphin last year.

Mr.T said:
Great ride. 8)
This is one of those rides that quite a few wild dogs will come on if
some one would envite us on. ;)

Pity you missed the invite. Met a farmer that can accommodate 20 of us with ease. I am planning on going again soon. Will post under Planning a Ride again.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=23260.0
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=22121.0

That looks like some really great riding country

Yes this trip was a nice memory trippie, I used and still know that area very good, the farmers, the farms etc, if ever you guys want to make a trip to Bethesda and you are between 20 - 30 riders there is a very nice guest farm Ganora, owned by Hester and Jan Peet (Rooi Peet) Steynberg, they cater for this kind of thing, can have their farm as HQ and then do routes around Compassberg, btw if you do something like this I also will come down and join.

Yes the bridge crossing, I nearly went swiming, it was slippery as hell, I walked back to have a look and nearly again went for a dip!
Nice foties Terror, Terror nearly had gemeenskaap with a sheep that ran infront of him, we saw lots of Kudu, Fallow deer, springbuck and mountain reebuck, average speed for the day was about 70 k's ph.