Greetings from San Diego, CA USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Was told that this was the place to talk about Africa over on Advrider.com.  As the subject suggests, I'm from San Diego.  I'm kicking around the idea of exploring a bit of Africa.  I have six to eight weeks of vacation to use some time in the next 18 months.  It will either be a big loop of US and Canada or an Africa adventure.  The latter sounds like much more exciting; lots to learn if that's going to happen.  Initial thought is to fly into Johannesburg, buy a small cheap bike, ride it to Kenya, and leave the bike with someone there.  I work with a guy who's family is there.  A bit of reading makes it pretty clear that it's a lot more complicated than initially thought.  Reading a bit about carnets, visas, invitation letters, registration, etc.  comfortable camping anywhere in North America but have a sense that everything in Africa will kill you.  More about trip planning in the appropriate thread.

Have had a collection of bikes over the years: XL185s, XR400, CM400, XR500, FJ1100, DRZ400, Aprilia SL1000, Super Hawk, K1200S...right now just an XR450R.  Here's my mug in the summit of Mt Whitney at 14,500ft.  Hope to get to know everyone a bit.

MtWhitney017_zpsd2f03e09.jpg

Latest posts