Grizz & Dozer's Ride South Africa, Ride Report Complete. YouTube Videos.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing this amazing trip with all of us here on the forum.

Have a safe trip back to Mudd Island.

Butt sore after collecting the GSA i bought in Pretoria and riding her back to East London over yesterday and today.

Lekker eina though!!!!!

spoedvark said:
Thanks for sharing this amazing trip with all of us here on the forum.

Have a safe trip back to Mudd Island.

Butt sore after collecting the GSA i bought in Pretoria and riding her back to East London over yesterday and today.

Lekker eina though!!!!!

That sounds great SV, hope we get at leasta mini RR.

I will do a full ride report once back in the UK and able to upload the 500 pics I have selected to share....... HONEST.

Aaagghhh shit, never got to phone you. Sorry. Safe trip back bud. And please remember my message to Nicola. 'Thank you for sharing Grizz with us '

grizz said:
Back home.

Thanks to Jon "Lebowski" for picking me up.

Glad you're there and safe!

Weather update.....?  :thumleft:

Mooi,  As jy jou sakke klaar leeggemaak het kan jy begin skryf.... jou tasse meen ek...  :imaposer:

woody1 said:
Mooi,  As jy jou sakke klaar leeggemaak het kan jy begin skryf.... jou tasse meen ek...  :imaposer:
Mooi man Woody, na so lang trip weg van die huis af sal n man seker maar albei moet leeg maak!!!!!! :imaposer:

Glad to have met you Riaan and Deon, good to hear you made it back home and i'm sure your ride was epic. Looking forward to reading your RR as it is always so well written. Look forward to seeing you again in the future, if not at least keeping in touch via WD.
Cheers , all the best.- Gerald

Weather. It's fine sunny windy and a balmy 10 degrees!
He's probably gone into shock hibernation.

bungycool said:

Out in shorts part of the day.

Started painting the inside of the garage late afternoon.

Sakke nie leeg.....  :(

Have selected around 300 photos to upload to Photobucket. Then start writing.

grizz said:
bungycool said:

300 sho that'll be a turner prize you're going after then?  Looking forward to it. Have you processed the insurance for your phone yet?

grizz said:
bungycool said:

:sip:

Morning Jupiter, make some more coffee....

I have a few priorities to deal with at the moment, and one is the ride report, but my neighbour Mickey and his Sprinter van are available to help me get some timber today and help me get the one garage door out and the new single door fitted and the hole boarded up.

I am also busy with this, which takes time as I have to empty parts of the garage bit by bit, moving and removing things to get to the walls, then I will fit 6 new six foot strip lights to get a very bright garage.

Nice paint-jobbie........... just make sure that you put a nice piece of carpet on the flor next to the wall. A storage area and coat hanger would also be appreciated. Let me know as soon as you are finished so I can bring my bike over..  >:D

Goose said:
Nice paint-jobbie........... just make sure that you put a nice piece of carpet on the flor next to the wall. A storage area and coat hanger would also be appreciated. Let me know as soon as you are finished so I can bring my bike over..  >:D

The next big thing will be 10-15mm polystyrene sheeting on the floor, covered by 12mm plywood sheets....... 32 of them, if I can get used ones from a building site where they have been used as "Hoarding" then run an industrial sander over it all, and seal with a few coats of clear industrial marine sealer.

I also placed an order for three more 6 foot steel cabinets from Mickey when he does an office clearance again.

UITGESORT Goose..... ;)

PS:  Another of yesterdays happenings.

My Transit packed up, off on a 500km trip to its new owner.

Stuck indoors at the moment, busy trying to get scanning, emailing and application for a security check sorted..... problem when left hand does not know what right hand is doing in one office.

Thought I would copy and paste some info, pics from Goose and my ride through Europe last year.

One of the things I instantly agreed to was radio comms as it was going to be a "slow ride" to actually see stuff, eat weird food, walk in the old quarters of cities etc.

Radios would prove invaluable in warning each other of various changes in circumstances..... stopping to take a photo, road conditions, traffic, Law enforcement and a sudden changes in direction etc.

Peter already had awesome SA sourced ZARTEC two way radios (Kenwood in disguise) with an enhanced range of 3km, so I borrowed one from a friend, and subsequently got to buy a pair plus a charger from Ebay.

Having a limited range, these robust little radios have about 15 chanels, and do not need to be licensed.

I will pus Goose's comments in italics to add his views.

I must say that it's an absolute pleasure spending time with another dude that can "Maak-'n-plan" ........   as we had 1 x Autocom system + 1 x Kenwood, 2 x Other radio's and a kak-huis full of cables.....!  

photo15.jpg

Well Autocom installed - we found that there was no way we could get the two smaller radios working - the Kenwood was ok - but powered off the Autocom - however no PTT was in the bag, so out came a set of Sharman headphones......

A quick installation of the Headset and we were ready to connect the radio.... or so we thought  
Two small 1,5mm screws were needed to allow the Kenwood to be connected via cables to the Autocom... but we had none - so off to Maplin and their wonderfully skilled Electronic experts to assist!

Hier kom kark.

I watched Grizz's stare and if he could have BLIKSEM'd the salesman - he would have..............  the DUDE insited on ïnserting" the screw himself and after 2 turns both of us could see the thread was wrong into the aluminium housing. Before either of us could blurt out a word... the bliksem forced the screwdriver and snapped the head of the screw off............   Dom twatwaffle (sorry hentie)

Fortunately.........  I'm used to working on radio equipment.. so with the salesman realising he was in deep kark......... (he would potentially be liable to replace a 70 quid radio) we were given carte blanche to open and use ANY of the tools and equipment in the store to rectify the situation!

photo.jpg

So on the Maplin counter top.........  we did a strip & repair........... but not just ANY repair... (as the old screw was totally jammed) we promptly proceeded to strip the unit, drill a new hole (check the size of the hand-drill)

photo2.jpg

..... the drill-bit being so thin & flimsy - required Grizz to stabilise it with his farmer-brown "vingers" .....

photo5.jpg

and as a first ever.... used a nifty miniature Tap & Die set to tap a new thread for our fastening screw!

photo3.jpg

Finally we were given the screws by the salesman after being more than grateful that we were not holding him liable for the stuffed screw.
Amazingly he commented on how he found it fascinating to watch us with the inhouse repair as he'd not realised what some of the tools we used were for..... - he works there... but no clue!

The Autocom connector had rust and some broken wires inside the power lead sheath... causing intermittent functionality that really screw'd us around.... but nothing a soldering iron would not sort out!

Eventually a whole rewire of the cable system was required to get it working........... using old dvd power lead (recycling's big here you know!)

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

EUREKA!!!!  Comms finally working.. a quick test and a blast up to the M25 was needed to make sure it works. (another excuse for a spin on the boney  )

Interestingly we had 9/10 reception at speeds approaching  "license threatening"  with a distance of close on a mile (1.5km) and no signs of any break-up at all.
Needless to say - we are really chuffed with the performance and this adds a new dimension to riding with your mate!

SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!  Check the LED Lights that we got on the group-buy!! Seriously NICE!!!

photo13.jpg

After the France trip I got the radios we used in SA on Dozer and my trip, but they also work perfectly fine with Goose's Zartek radio.

On about three occasins we could hear farmers talk on the ride and once I could hear a really agitated farmer telling a worker what he was going to do with the tractor...... interestingly, Dozer and I did not always listen in on the same conversations and once in the KZN rural areas we just moved up one chanel.

Goose also lengthened both our leads, this is great for getting on and off the bikes with helmets on, and more importantly, on the days we did over 600km we could stand up on the footpgs and rest our butts.

RADIO COMMS RULE !!!!!

Just try it some time.

Cant wait for the 300 pics. Gonna be lekker to see where you and Dozer travelled.

Enjoy writing the report.

Sorry. Hardly took any pics on the way home to EL from Pretoria on the new GSA!! So not even a small RR yet!

Ja Spoedvark.....

I am busy uploading but my PC hangs every time I try to load more, so its switch off, switch on and launch the next lot.

I am taking my lovely wife out to dinner and then to an American style Diner to look at some street rods and hot rods.

Hopefully when I get home I will not be too tired, and start the actual essay.

This will probably end up boring some, but I am catering for a large international audience who may not all know what Waterblommetjies are. (Not that I care at all, best part about them is Randall Wicomb's song))