HARDCORE BORDER DASH + VOLCANO RUN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR350
That went well with some Hardcore weather and wind thrown in for good measure and to test character

Day 1 Mafikeng - Bray 257km
DR350, DRZ400, LTZ400 Kwat

Started hard and fast - stayed that way... all the way.

Having done this run twice before I had decided to pack very light and leave most of the creature comforts behind.
Gave the Rookie on the Kwat a list of stuff we thought were nice to have and said nothing more.... he made assumtions and his credit card was smokin' - pots, pans, cookers, bags - alles  :pot: we didn't need to take much at all - and anyway he had far more packing space than we did.

Cannot wait for the pics. This is such a nice area to do adventure riding in  :thumleft:
I know nothing about  kwats would imagine a kwat will slow the group down  or is a kwat fast enough in that type off terrain?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB
Waited till 02H00 for the looonnng promised pics and RR ........    :xxbah:

:lol8:  Just joking  :ricky:

Dealing with the pesky controls on the GoPro

The day was very windy and muggy - dust was the order of the day.
Offloading the Kwat at Ramatlabama

The Gruff-ster ready and waiting...

We were all a little nervous as we started engines and started rolling, the variable factors on any of these off-road rides providing some early signs of apprehension.

It was immediately apparent how dry everything was, fortunately the wind was quite strong, clearing the dust rather quickly.

It was unanimously agreed (by Chris and myself) that the Kwat stayed behind us and did not spew it"s dust on our clean bikes.

I was leading and tried to maintain a fairly brisk pace, the dry conditions allowing for some frisky power-slides in the corners. The lack of moisture however made the sand trickier than normal - zero cohesion.
The first section to Pitsane went off without glitch and the guys all got into their own rhythm. We stopped for a brief re-fuel and straps check - all was good.

The next section +- 80km was to have everything gnarly - sand, rocks and thorns.
Our pace was good and the quad was keeping up very well, managing to maintain speed and power slides through the sandy corners better than the bikes could.
At one particularly rocky section we belted up a little quicker than is safe to do, the front wheels threatening to wash away at the slightest lack of concentration.
The ground clearance of the quad a little concerning but Rob expertly negotiated his way up without any damage - or so we thought.

We hugged the fence line moving relaxed  and enjoying the terrain, riding and just the "lekkerness" of being out on our bikes instead of stuck in the office.

We pulled up to our lunch/re-fuel point only to notice that the left front on the quad was deflated and was causing Rob some steering issues.
All the tyres on bikes and quad were covered in thorns, the quad obviously collecting more than it's fair share.
We rolled the offending wheel and noticed a slight leak from one thorn embedded in the tyre - out comes the tyre plug kit, brand new and shiny, little CO2 cylinders and all.
Unbeknown to us the sidewall had taken two nicks in the rocky section and the tyre was losing air at a constant rate necessitating a stop every 20km for us each to have a pomp in the heat and the sand and the wind.

WHERE IS THAT PUNCTURE KIT???!!!

IT'S IN THERE SOMEWHERE ROB....

HAPPY FACES AFTER THE FIRST OF MANY POMPS FOR THE DAY...

OUR VERY DELICIOUS HEAD COVERINGS - necessary for the sand being blown all over. I had bent down to check the offending flat when a gust of wind had half-filled my ear with sand - gritty  :lol8:

Next stop - Bray 100km

:patch:

Why did the RR just stop in the middle of nowhere  :xxbah:

Gooi the rest    :ricky:

Stevie said:
We were all a little nervous as we started engines and started rolling, the variable factors on any of these off-road rides providing some early signs of apprehension.

It was immediately apparent how dry everything was, fortunately the wind was quite strong, clearing the dust rather quickly.

It was unanimously agreed (by Chris and myself) that the Kwat stayed behind us and did not spew it"s dust on our clean bikes.

I was leading and tried to maintain a fairly brisk pace, the dry conditions allowing for some frisky power-slides in the corners. The lack of moisture however made the sand trickier than normal - zero cohesion.
The first section to Pitsane went off without glitch and the guys all got into their own rhythm. We stopped for a brief re-fuel and straps check - all was good.

The next section +- 80km was to have everything gnarly - sand, rocks and thorns.
Our pace was good and the quad was keeping up very well, managing to maintain speed and power slides through the sandy corners better than the bikes could.
At one particularly rocky section we belted up a little quicker than is safe to do, the front wheels threatening to wash away at the slightest lack of concentration.
The ground clearance of the quad a little concerning but Rob expertly negotiated his way up without any damage - or so we thought.

We hugged the fence line moving relaxed  and enjoying the terrain, riding and just the "lekkerness" of being out on our bikes instead of stuck in the office.

We pulled up to our lunch/re-fuel point only to notice that the left front on the quad was deflated and was causing Rob some steering issues.
All the tyres on bikes and quad were covered in thorns, the quad obviously collecting more than it's fair share.
We rolled the offending wheel and noticed a slight leak from one thorn embedded in the tyre - out comes the tyre plug kit, brand new and shiny, little CO2 cylinders and all.
Unbeknown to us the sidewall had taken two nicks in the rocky section and the tyre was losing air at a constant rate necessitating a stop every 20km for us each to have a pomp in the heat and the sand and the wind.

WHERE IS THAT PUNCTURE KIT???!!!

IT'S IN THERE SOMEWHERE ROB....

HAPPY FACES AFTER THE FIRST OF MANY POMPS FOR THE DAY...

OUR VERY DELICIOUS HEAD COVERINGS - necessary for the sand being blown all over. I had bent down to check the offending flat when a gust of wind had half-filled my ear with sand - gritty  :lol8:

Next stop - Bray 100km

One of the golden rules for me on adventure biking is to never "style" out in the bundu.

Now that you mention the thorns (pendoring) that section from Miga till Makgobistad is best ridden with eyes wide open looking for thorns and avoiding them where possible. First time I went through there the thorns was a big worry. Think I have done that bit 6 times with luckilly no punctures. Very pretty piece off road.

Apologies Subie, in the process of changing jobs and not quite focussed on the RR like I need to be. Away this weekend, will re-open the Dusty Diaries when I get back next week - weereens baie jammer  :p

Stevie said:
Apologies Subie, in the process of changing jobs and not quite focussed on the RR like I need to be. Away this weekend, will re-open the Dusty Diaries when I get back next week - weereens baie jammer  :p

Thank you Stevie. I thought some of our comments might have offended you perhaps. I were so looking forward to this RR  . Take your time friend when you ready. Changing jobs is no small matter.
:thumleft: