HID lights on a Super Enduro - a pictorial.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I had the honour of receipt of the best birthday present in a long time!  My good friend and neighbour, Dirt Rat (the non-poster) has given me 2 sets of HID lights for my KTM 950 Adv for my birthday!  :angel13: On one condition, I must install his set in his 950 Super Enduro as well.  No problem, I said, and set off to search on who has done this beforeâ?¦..NO-ONE!  Not on WDs, not on Advrider, nowhere.

Well, I like challenges.

Harold from BikeGear assured me itâ??s not difficult, and after payment was done, 24hrs later the parcel arrived, with the three sets of lights and his Airhawk seat.  Thanks Harold for great service!

The SE was first in line.  Firstly, we had to get the bike inside my R/C workshop.  A Super Enduro does not go through a normal door, so we had to improvise.  The forklift with a contraption of planks was used to get the bike in the other door.

Herewith the pictorial of installation of HID lights on a SE, a world first!  SCOOP!

SE-02.JPG

Bike inside

SE-01.JPG

SE-03.JPG

I started stripping the headlight unit down.  It has way too many wires and plugs to undo before you can separate the unit, so I worked on it as is.

SE-06.JPG

Meanwhile, Dirt Rat was inflating his Airhawk

SE-04.JPG

And testing it the correct way! :blob1:

SE-08.JPG

First things first.  I had to find a place to mount the ballast, as it is a fairly large unit, and the SE does not have the most space available.

SE-09.JPG

I found that it just fits between the 2 forks, between the triple clamps, but a mounting bracket would have to be made.

SE-10.JPG

A lot of testing of the fitment had to be done, but I decided to have beer first! :eek:ccasion14:

Then, I cut a piece of aluminium angle, to manufacture (or fabricate as used in â??American Chopperâ?!) ;D the mounting.  Drilled the holes and mounted it underneath the headlight unit bottom bracket.

SE-11.JPG

The bolt holding the ballast, touched the headstock of the bike, so, I turned the bracket and ballast around, aha!  Better fit!  Another beer! :eek:ccasion14:

SE-12.JPG

Here you can see the mounted ballast

SE-13.JPG

SE-14.JPG

SE-15.JPG

Another beer! :eek:ccasion14:

Now, I had to do the bulb.  The bulb has a chromed shield around it.  This must be cut off, as it only allows half of the reflector to be used.  The SE uses a H4 bulb, which has both high and low beam in one bulb.  For the HID unit to achieve this, they implemented an ingenious way of a solenoid retracting and forwarding the bulb itself.  It is absolutely amazing how this works. :thumleft:

The rubber grommet that seals the bulb must be cut to take the HID solenoid and bulb.  A small sanding drum (Dremell) in a drill press works wonderfully to smooth out the edges.  The little locking clip that holds the bulb in place is also just 0,5mm too small, and must be sanded out with the same tool. :tool:

Another beer! :eek:ccasion14:

With bulb and ballast in place, I mounted the relay switch under the top triple clamp, upside down remember, as to avoid moisture entering!

Side panel and seat off to the start the wiring.

SE-16.JPG

Power wires to the back, with fuse as close to the battery as possible.  All wires soldered, covered with heat shrink tubing.

SE-18.JPG

A beer close by, always important.

SE-19.JPG

Soldering

SE-20.JPG

SE-22.JPG

All wires done, time for testing.  Bulb goes in and out, but no lightâ?¦â?¦ :dontknow:

Have another beer! :drunken_smilie:

Phone Adventurerâ?¦.problem solved in 20sec flat.  The lead that goes into the ballast, fits both ways (mmmmâ?¦.sounds lekka :downtown:â?¦.focus, come-on, this is an installation reportâ?¦focus!)  Make sure the clips that holds the connector in the ballast, faces towards the outside of the ballast.  It has a reverse polarity safety mechanism, so no harm done, just no light!

Turn the terminal around, whala!  Light, lots of it!  PLENTY! :blob5:

SE-23.JPG

Celebrations!

SE-24.JPG

After 3 hrs, and 6/7/8 beers each, we have the worlds first KTM 950 SE with HID lights! (OK, maybe not, but hell, its sounds good!)

Thanks to Harold and Adventurer for your help and great service.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumright: This is a great product, coming from a great dealership!