Hogsback meander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edgy said:
BMWPE said:
Awesome
Where is the MX Museum ?

It really is that easy.....coming into Hogsback continue past the Armenel Lodge,take the 2nd left,immediately take the next left and carry on into Robs yard!

Thanks will remember for next time
did not know the MX Museum is in Hogsback :-[

awesome trip guys. :thumleft:
EDGY you forget my cell number,dam I was vegitating at Zuurberg and missing a great outing.

Nice 1 Guys :thumleft:
Looks like a lekka ride.
Drazil, we will have to do this when I get my new Ride later this week :drif: CAN'T WAIT :ricky:

DRAZIL said:
awesome trip guys. :thumleft:
EDGY you forget my cell number,dam I was vegitating at Zuurberg and missing a great outing.

No I did`nt buddy,I had seen you had a ride already planned!

Kally and I joined from a very cold, early start in East London, so cold that I even donned my rain-suit pants to cut some of the wind. We all met at the Fish River Diner and it was good to meet up and link faces to forum names. Thanks Milkman for the invite and the others for a ride in an area we have not done yet.
Soon after leaving the R72 we turned left onto gravel. I decided to hang at the back a little as the KTM boys were amped and pushing the envelope. There are names like 'Throttle-Jockey" etc and not for nothing. This must have pissed Turkey off a little to be trapped behind me in my dust so started a passing manoeuver which saw him over-cook a corner and go farming.

The highlight for me was the Robbie Wicks MX museum. Most collectors restore road-bikes of variuos types, usually German or British but very few collect vintage MX bikes and this is the best collection that I have seen. For me the most desireable bike was the 1960s BSA 500 single all in polished ally. Rob must really love this bike to polish the entire thing to that speck. Next would be a pair of awesome Maicos which were the first bikes of the modern era. Longer swing-arms and long-travel shocks etc. If you did not know that they were 1976 models you would have thought that they were the latest offering.
Rob Wicks is not the Robert Wicks who authored a few books on dual-sport motor-cycles. I put my foot in it telling him that I had been given one of his books for Christmas and had enjoyed reading it.
Unfortunatey quite recently he had his left eye jabbed by a stick while riding and the retina was detached. At this point it is unknown whether the eye will recover. There must be an ATGATT lesson here somewhere.

We had lunch at the Kings Lodge and then parted ways. Kally and I stayed on at Away with the Fairies. We are researching a future trip which will visit some of the better old English forts in the Fort Beaufort region. More on that later. The Fairies always attracts some characters and it did not diappoint this time either. After watching rugby, the fire was lit and every now and then people would disappear and come back giggling. Later in the evening after they had sussed out that us old ballies were cool, the mountain cabbage was being sorted on the dining room table openly. Kally and I were just hoping that there wasn't a police raid that night as we would have had some explaining to do to family and friends.

The following day Kally and I met with Gordon and Lynne Johnston who farm berries in Hogs. They have a wealth of knowledge on the history of the area and we came away with pamphlets and information over-load on our future trip.

They suggested that we return via Amatola Basin. Never heard of this place so we went. You go down the tar pass past the big dam on the left. Take the first turn left and go through the 'lallies'. Then the road becomes harsher and the area more remote. Once in Amatola Basin you head up-hill, seriously up-hill through the forest and back onto the Wolfridge road joining just as you enter the forest if you were coming into Hogsback. A loop well worth doing. It is very technical on big bikes and Kally bought a piece of prime state forest but no harm done to bike or body. From there it was Keiskammahoek for cokes and then Dontsa pass, Gubu Dam, Khologha forest, Stutt and home James.

Thanks to all involved for an awesome ride.

It was a well organized great ride by the Milkman and Mervin, thanks to all. It was my first long ride out on the Mistress and she did not disappoint. I had three warnings on the ride. 1. Overshot the corner that Mark went down in. 2. nearly got taken out in Hogsback by a local on the cuttings on my side of the road. 3. I hit a cow (last seen running down the main street 40 km away as the crow flies in Peddie). My battery gave up as I got home. I still have a smile on my face and like all Mistresses cant wait to get back on her. Hope to have a long relationship with this one.  ;D

Hi Edgy, thanks for the pics, great stuff, we must do some more rides in the area, easy eneough to organise and I think the guys enjoyed it.

Andrew

How da moer did I miss this one.  :mad:  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Hogsback is on my doorstep and Port Alfred is a piss far away.  Can't we rewind the clock.

So by the way, nice RR and phodies.  :thumleft:

Vis Arend, pm me and I will ad you to our list of riders, we have approximately 55 riders in GHT and PA and will be planning more in the future, you are always welcome. ps we did advertise on the forum about three months ago! I am also linked to the Midway Bike Club in PA ( road bikers), they do plenty and the intention is to communicate all activities to everyone.

Cheers