Honda XR125L - a couple of comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varadero

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Having recently bought a little XR125L to be used as a delivery bike and general run around here’s a couple of impressions for anyone considering buying their youngsters / wives / delivery guys / etc, one;

I rode the bike for 60km one afternoon and then the next day headed off to Pretoria to join blazes on one of his small bike runs.  Now I’m definitely not the smallest person around so I wasn’t expecting too much fun on the run from Jhb to Pretoria.  Well the little XR ran like clockwork and really didn’t disappoint – just remember that it is a 125 so don’t expect to see 120km/h on the clock.  :biggrin:  I just took it nice and easy and actually cruised along quite comfortably at about 80 - 90km/h the whole way.  Both the seat - with a very comfortable seat height of 825mm, and riding position are comfortable and after spending most of the day and some 305km’s on it I really wasn’t tired and sore – so a big plus there. 

On dirt roads and tracks (of which there was about 150km for the day) the little 125 handled perfectly; it’s well balanced, predictable and had enough clearance to get over everything we rode on the day without bumping or scratching. There’s a 19 inch wheel up front and a 17 inch at the back.  Combine all of the above with a relatively low dry weight of 120kg and you have a bike that’s easy and forgiving to ride, whether it’s on tar or gravel. 

The bike is insanely quiet when idling, so quiet in fact that when I first rode it I kept thinking that it had cut out! 

So far I’ve actually really enjoyed riding the XR and will probably alternate between it and the Vespa for my daily commuting purposes.  It certainly performs way better than I thought it would and combined with its comfortable riding position, ease of use, and R13999 price tag you really can’t go wrong.  Horses for courses so don't expect the performance of a 990 or the offroad ability of a Husky.  Oh and there’s a free Honda Offroad Training Day included in the price  :thumleft: