Hoopstad Sandmonster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Milkybar and friends put together a ride in Hoopstad / Hertzogville area - within easy striking distance from Bfn and we were keen to join in.  I knew what the terrain looks like, some good friends farm in the area too.  And us townies don't get the opportunity to ride proper sand too often.  Thank you to all involved with the planning and putting together - We were only there for the day on Saturday, everyone else please share your stories of the rest of the weekend, just add on here if you like!

We (Bees1 & myself) left Bfn early Saturday, arrived in time for morning coffee with Mikedabike who was up and sitting at the pub waiting for us.  Thanks brother!  Slowly we started seeing more signs of life around the farmhouse, and soon there was lots of activity as people started getting ready for ride.  By 7:30 the group was lined up and ready to go.  The riders briefing was short and sweet - "If you don't know sand, just go fast and sit down.  Let's go".

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Some noise (symphony :ricky:) and dust filled the fresh morning air and the sand was there immediately.  And the sand monster lives in the sand and it was quite hungry.  Looking at those 2 farm boys on the orange 950's, I think the sand monster on their farm is very hungry, it does not get fed very often.  It is a good thing that the Western Freestate is quite flat (you can see on Wednesday aslready who's coming to visit on Sunday.... ::)) , and the scenery is not very spectacular, so the only thing there is to admire is the track....  So that is where we were looking for most of the time!   The pack was getting a little bit stretched out, there was all skill levels from the vlamgat Hoopstad boere to those who have never before encountered the sand monster.

There were bikes of any shape / size, Honda NXR 125, DRZ, 250 2T, 450, 650 in various tastes - X Country / X Challenge / GS, Tenere, 950, 990, 1200 GS, GSA.  Wide selection all having fun together.  And I saw again that there is something in the club but more in the swing.....  ;)

The ride was stunning.  Once you find the rythym, you become almost immune against the poison of the sand monster.  Cruising down those sandy tracks, I saw 140 on the speedo a couple of times and I was never in front....  :eek:  Nice group of people!  :thumleft:  Here are some pics I took during the ride - pity we never stopped in the thick sand, everyone was doing such serious West FS sight seeing that nobody had the courage to decelerate in that stuff.  You could see and feel the sandmonster's teeth (or was there sinkplaatpad under the sand?  :biggrin:)

IMG_2937.jpg

Did Piet get some sand up his nose??  :laughing4:

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

Feeding the monster....

IMG_2940.jpg

Cooldrink stop - MB was following in a bakkie - handing out energy bars and cooldrinks en route.  Such luxury we are not used to.... :eek:

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

The farmers are planting maize, and the mood is good - there is moisture in the soil and things are looking up.  There is something John Deere green in the heart of any farm boy....

IMG_2946.jpg

Forum identity noticed....

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

Off we go again!  :ricky:

IMG_2953.jpg

The flying GSA - almost left behind that German cosmetic mudguard  8)

IMG_2956.jpg

More of those yummie sand tracks - REALLY enjoyed the riding!  :biggrin: :ricky:

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Back at Piet's house for lunch, some real farm hospitality as we know it - thanks boys & girls!  Awesome!

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

Off again after lunch, some more of that same stuff - lekka!  :thumleft: :mwink:

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

The sand monster leaves tracks, but not permanent ones, they wash off easily!

IMG_2979.jpg

Rural traffic takes shapes you do not see on the N1, these farmers have really nice toys... :eek:

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Another thing about this monster is that it is heavy on equipment.  I dont think it's a normal characteristic, it just had a bad day.

We had a 950 / 990 fuel pump fail, and a 1200 GS rear shock breaking out of the swing arm, and the monster chomped two of those German mud guards.  

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

We had a great day, back in Bfn safely.  Sorry that we did not stay for the braai, but we had to get back to town.  Thanks very much again to all who made this possible, we would love to come back.  Pleeeaaase!!!

Hope everyone else has a safe trip back too!

SGB said:
As Mike Vrystaat toe kom gaan dit daai naweek baie reen in Hoopstad, so Mike - die sukses van die mielie oes is in jou hande....  :deal:

Go figure.....  :imaposer:

Attachments

• WSA1.jpg
    WSA1.jpg
    12.6 KB
  • WSA2.jpg
    WSA2.jpg
    7.8 KB
Nice one All. Just a bit LEWENSGEVAARLIK--for some i see  :peepwall:

Attachments

• 800gs.jpg
    800gs.jpg
    59.2 KB
Wow!!! What a weekend....  :thumleft: :thumleft:
First off all...thanks to EVERY single guy and gal who pitched up to come conquers this monster.....It's been an experience few of them wil forget.
Wilddogs who all came from GP:
Mikedabike------thanks for the rain!  :thumleft:
Steady - You'll always find this kind of hospitality in Hoopstad. :drif:
Misty - now you can go do the Desert run!  :thumleft:
eSkaPe- Sorry 'bout the GS.  :mad:
63Magic-no more worries about the feeling of sand underneath the tyres  :mwink:
Tweetie and his two puppies - That GS now knows how to fall in sand  :eek:
Gavin and son Brandon - Sorry about the fuelpump....
GeeS and wife Ester - The 800 is NOT that LEWENSGEVAARLIK!  8)
Freetaste Wilddogs:
SGB - Wow...you can come back anytime  :eek:
Bees1- "Stille waters, diepe sand...."  >:D
Haba-real hooligan now...will have to keep a fully stocked First Aid kit hand for you!  :deal:
Local Hoopstad Boere enjoining the riding with the dogs:
Janus
Pieter
Theodorus
Edward
Herman
Burgert
Burrie
Johan from Welkom
Thanks to Pieter Labuschagne  and fiance Katy for giving 5 star accomodation and treatment to the dawgs! You and Katy rock!!! Martha and Betha who helped with the foodpreparations and cleaning up - Thank You girls - the dawgs appreciates it!  :thumleft:
Janus - I think every single person riding the routes appreciate the trouble you had in the planning of this adventure with Pieter - We are now waiting for you to join the Forum  :mwink: :peepwall: :lurk:
The following is some pics I took. The reason I did not ride and decided to rather take the Mahindra as backup is to give certain guys the opportunity to enjoy the day and not be nervous wrecks. :peepwall:

So Friday morning rocks around and I receive a sms enquiring about the weather - "nice , sunny and a lovely day"

At about 17h00 the first bikes arrive in our little town of Hoopstad - Misty, eSKaPe, 63magic, GeeS and wife Ester

Filling up the bikes for the trip on Saturday the next 2 doggies from GP pitches - Mikedabike an Steady....wonder why the bikes was trailered down?  :pot: Maybe the possibility of rain Mike?  :peepwall:

Dinner was served at about 9 and everyone had a blast of a time getting to know each other and just relaxing in the warm night air under the stars!

Attachments

• bikefoto's 019.jpg
    bikefoto's 019.jpg
    80.7 KB
  • bikefoto's 021.jpg
    bikefoto's 021.jpg
    83 KB
  • bikefoto's 023.jpg
    bikefoto's 023.jpg
    55.2 KB
Saturday morning when I arrived at the farm I found almost everyone up and ready to go find this W Freestate Sandmonster, Some nervous, others excited, Some has NEVER EVER ridden on sand in their lives...so, a quick line up of bikes, some introductions needed when the Hoopstad guys arrived and soon the bikes was fired up and ready to go.

1st pic - Gavin, Steady (ready to get going :ricky:), Misty, eSKaPe, 63Magic
2nd pic- Pieter (the host), Herman and Johan from Welkom
3rd pic - Admiring some bikes
4th pic - Some encouragment Misty?  :peepwall:

Attachments

• bikefoto's 027.jpg
    bikefoto's 027.jpg
    77.4 KB
  • bikefoto's 029.jpg
    bikefoto's 029.jpg
    80.2 KB
  • bikefoto's 030.jpg
    bikefoto's 030.jpg
    95.7 KB
  • bikefoto's 031.jpg
    bikefoto's 031.jpg
    73.8 KB
5  -  SGB setting the gps just in cas??? I wonder???  :peepwall:
6  -  63Magic smiling aal the way....very excited about this new experience!
7  -  Tweetie's girl Kayla took to her bike like a natural - never ridden sand befor in her life and this was a big first for her. She did amazing and after this Saturday's riding she should become a WD girl - she earned it!! You go girl!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:
8  -  GeeS with his stead - nice combo of dress - matches the bike! :mwink:

Attachments

• bikefoto's 034.jpg
    bikefoto's 034.jpg
    74.4 KB
  • bikefoto's 036.jpg
    bikefoto's 036.jpg
    82.3 KB
  • bikefoto's 035.jpg
    bikefoto's 035.jpg
    81.5 KB
  • bikefoto's 033.jpg
    bikefoto's 033.jpg
    83.8 KB
9 - Sorting out the route and discussing it with the local farmboys...most of them grew up here and know these roads by heart - just in case the group splits.
10 - The quicke riders briefing
11 - Getting ready.........
12 - Starting those machines...... :thumleft: Smoke everywhere......?? ;)
13 - ......and off they go!  :ricky:

Attachments

• bikefoto's 040.jpg
    bikefoto's 040.jpg
    107.5 KB
  • bikefoto's 041.jpg
    bikefoto's 041.jpg
    114.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 046.jpg
    bikefoto's 046.jpg
    79.3 KB
  • bikefoto's 048.jpg
    bikefoto's 048.jpg
    66.9 KB
  • bikefoto's 051.jpg
    bikefoto's 051.jpg
    62.3 KB
13- Misty and 63magic
14 - Burgert handling that GSA like a feather!
15 - Aha!!! Sand, glorious sand......
16 - First prey for the day...by the time I got there he was up and riding again. The experienced guys gave a hand to the one's who needed it!
17 - A lot of struggling on the 90degree corners because of dee, loose sand.

Attachments

• bikefoto's 059.jpg
    bikefoto's 059.jpg
    67.1 KB
  • bikefoto's 058.jpg
    bikefoto's 058.jpg
    61.7 KB
  • bikefoto's 055.jpg
    bikefoto's 055.jpg
    74.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 052.jpg
    bikefoto's 052.jpg
    61.9 KB
  • bikefoto's 057.jpg
    bikefoto's 057.jpg
    53.4 KB
Looks lekke Caroline !! Glad you had a nice weekend !! :thumleft:

18- long, sandy streches really tested skills
19 - Tweetie getting ready to get going again after a tumble
20 - The monsters had some snacks here... :mwink:
21 - Road conditions for most of the 280 odd km's that was done yestersday...
22 - First regrouping

Attachments

• bikefoto's 063.jpg
    bikefoto's 063.jpg
    50.9 KB
  • bikefoto's 066.jpg
    bikefoto's 066.jpg
    80.5 KB
  • bikefoto's 068.jpg
    bikefoto's 068.jpg
    103.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 069.jpg
    bikefoto's 069.jpg
    61 KB
  • bikefoto's 070.jpg
    bikefoto's 070.jpg
    83.2 KB
23 - Misty shook hands and became the sandmonster's next snack.......
24 - 63magic still going strong but I could see these girls were tired....we needed a break. They've been going non-stop for 2 hours in this thick sand. Only stpping for the 5 or 10 min regroupings at turnoofs or crossing.......when are we having something to drink?    :'(
25 - Misty's piece of farm in WFreestate...
26-At last....tar and a big old oak tree...coldrinks and snacks for everyone!!!
27- No more sand-virgins......they did a loop of 120 km in 3 hours in the most tiring sand ever! Well done girls!!!

Attachments

• bikefoto's 086.jpg
    bikefoto's 086.jpg
    62.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 087.jpg
    bikefoto's 087.jpg
    34.7 KB
  • bikefoto's 085.jpg
    bikefoto's 085.jpg
    79.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 083.jpg
    bikefoto's 083.jpg
    111.2 KB
  • bikefoto's 082.jpg
    bikefoto's 082.jpg
    36.4 KB
breaktime......

Some guys decided to do an extra loop of about 20km through farmlands and the tired ones opted to take tar back to the farm - don't blame them.....Pieter, Janus, you guys really treated these okes to the sand around Hoopstad!
Haba enjoyed that HP of his to the bone......

Attachments

• bikefoto's 090.jpg
    bikefoto's 090.jpg
    107.1 KB
  • bikefoto's 093.jpg
    bikefoto's 093.jpg
    91.6 KB
  • bikefoto's 095.jpg
    bikefoto's 095.jpg
    64.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 096.jpg
    bikefoto's 096.jpg
    53.8 KB
  • bikefoto's 097.jpg
    bikefoto's 097.jpg
    66.2 KB
Some more and on this stretch some one joined me in the back-up....wonder who it was?  :pot:

The guys rode hard and fast and at a certain stretch of road we found a few ditches in the rode that was caused by the previous rain..really nasty stuff if you go throu them a high speed.
eSKaPe went through one of these and ended up with a broken backshock.....
The skidmarks in the sand where his gs bottomed out......it was close call.....

Attachments

• bikefoto's 099.jpg
    bikefoto's 099.jpg
    37.2 KB
  • bikefoto's 100.jpg
    bikefoto's 100.jpg
    82.9 KB
  • bikefoto's 102.jpg
    bikefoto's 102.jpg
    98.2 KB
  • bikefoto's 103.jpg
    bikefoto's 103.jpg
    101.8 KB
DeonDj said:
Dit lyk blerrie nice, goed gedoen Milkybar :thumleft:

Mmmmm......dit was blerrie nice maar ons sal maar hoor hoe voel die ander honne more...... :mwink: 'n paar lywe gaan dalk bietjie styf wees?

Awwww man.  I knew I was going to miss something good!  MB, please tell me there will be another trip like this sometime in the future???  :xxbah:

Marnus said:
Awwww man.  I knew I was going to miss something good!  MB, please tell me there will be another trip like this sometime in the future???  :xxbah:

Just let me know when......Pieter and Janus ride every weekend and enjoyed the company of the dogs so much that they said ANYTIME!!! :thumleft: :ricky:

Regrouping again before heading home for a nice early lunch.....after lunch the guys went riding again but they didn't need a backup vehicle so I could spend some time withe the girls.....
Wonder if that was such a good idea guys?? :pot:

Attachments

• bikefoto's 106.jpg
    bikefoto's 106.jpg
    65.1 KB