Hysterical run - now with more pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groenie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Not so funny, but F-en cold......

I left my camera and most of my other stuff at home, so no pics.... No GPS also means I have no tracks.

C'mon guys, post pics and the gps track please. We did some great roads and I want to go visit a few of the people we met on the ride

Thanx to the organisers for a lekker run

Attachments

• 28-06-09_1016.jpg
    28-06-09_1016.jpg
    62.9 KB
  • 28-06-09_1017.jpg
    28-06-09_1017.jpg
    59.9 KB
  • 28-06-09_1557.jpg
    28-06-09_1557.jpg
    44.8 KB
  • 28-06-09_1015.jpg
    28-06-09_1015.jpg
    54.5 KB
:ricky:

Attachments

• 28062009082.jpg
    28062009082.jpg
    50 KB
  • 28062009084.jpg
    28062009084.jpg
    34.5 KB
  • 28062009085.jpg
    28062009085.jpg
    39.3 KB
Where's the pics of flying AT?

Not sure what happened to my first post?
Thanks to all for helping get the AT back on the road after my "offroad excursion". Got it home without any further farming and thankfully very little damage considdering the size of the farm I tried to plough with my top box? myself - a little or maybe a lot stiffer today compared with the old body before yestardays ride? I am still looking for the train that got in front of me to remove my sensable brain and replace it with a doff one with no brakes???

wil add my stuff 2morrow,,,i promise,,,also have the somersault AT pics,,,

unfortuanately the landing not the flight ???

Sorry i was a little late and had to play catch up, it was good to meet all the guys.

It was bloody cold but it was worth it . A great ride and a great bunch to ride with. Thanks to our tour guides Robin[Paul Kruger look alike!!!] ip and everyone else that contributed to a fun day out!! Paule i am glad you are ok after your big off-man were you lucky to have missed the donga ,metal sign post and tel.pole. Helgaard thanks for the co. home .See you all soon and safe riding###

following the footsteps of our ground fathers,,,,,,

damm it was cold (but amazingly great and crisp and quiet),,,

and to everyone who obviously got up at 6 and was on the road by 7 to be at magaliesburg hotel for 8,,,,great stuff dudes,,,

ok so first we had to find our tour guide,,,of we went to the historical museum in magaliesburg and went through the museum that Robin and the historical society are putting together,,,what a great bunch of people,,,befitting the part we found our goblin like de la rey lookalike Robin,,,,our guide for the day

a well versed and extremely knowledgeable man and living proof that historians are fun guys,,,real party animal and also just a man,,,

anyway the museum was well stocked and interesting with various articles from washing machines, coffee grinders and more,,,what stood out for me was the exhibit of Hartley who was renowned for having shot 1200 elephants,,,but according to robin some reports said the magaliesberg valley had elephant herds as big as 300 while others reported that there were no elephants at all,,,maar ja,,,we know how stories can grow,,,

so off we went not even 15 kms from magaliesburg and stopped at some farm where de la rey's brother was buried,,,this valley mainly belonged to the Krugers, Hartleys, De La Reys and nogga english man whos name eludes me now,,,,

the boer tradition allowed a man to take himself a farm ,,,in fact two farms,,,one for grazing and one for cultivation no bigger than 6000 acres and obviously not bigger than your dads which lived next to you,,,,,so ja,,,everybody had 2 farms,,,in fact Retief who died in Natal only had daughters and they were given each a farm at the olifantsnek pass side of magaliesberg with the understanding that if a daughter gets married the husband must take the surname Retief and thus keep the surname going,,,,wtf

so ole oom paul had 2 farms and it was just off where we stopped at de lareys graveyard that the young kruger shot a rhino and his gun (2 pounder??? shark???) exploded in his hands and his thumb was shot of hanging by some skin,,,unperturbed the young kruger flicked open his buck knife and cut it of leaving a stump,,,,he immediately nursed it with turpentine but by 2 weeks the gangrene was creeping up his arm,,,he then commissioned a sangoma who made him slaughter a sheep and made his stick his injured hand into the warm intestines of the goat,,,ja ja ja,,,,whatever,,,he was healed within 2 months,,

the current farm owner is called the "italian stallion" and i remember him from a previous bike ride where splash had a puncture and blazes and everybody spent some timefixing it,,,it was the same guy who came down and gave us beers and offered malibu and cg some expresso,,,anyway its the same man and once again he made everybody some expresso and we had some brandy in it,,,,and then we greeted and trekked further,,,,

next stop was noupoort and the ghost house of a steenkamp??? where the commandos of all the directions would come together and decide strategies against the british,,,the commandos would come from mafeking, jozies, klerksdorp and pta,,,,imagine the jol,,,the place has a nice waterfall but we werent here for the nature,,,although it was beuatifull...we were on our wy to the battle of nooitgedacht when we stopped at the foot of olifantsnek where he showed us the Retief farms,,,smokebreaks and talking kak with the police we decided to go rather to breedtsnek where we were told we were stopping for homemade lemonade,,,jajaja we knew what was coming and away we sped away arriving at our host who was gonna relinquesh our thirst of the dry dusty gravelroads,,,lo and behold we were offered real lemonade,,,very very refreshing,,,even groenie had some,,,but next time someone must bring the gin,,,we were at the foot of breedtsnek looking up at the remnants of a blockhouse,,,

pics:
1, de la reys family grave yard
2. noupoort ghost house where the commandos had their bos beraad

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    58.3 KB
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    86.2 KB
so away away we flew,,,,kilroy and myself playing sweeper ,,,when we came around sharp corner we saw,,,ohoh  here comes trouble,,,somebody went down,,,,you could actually see the spoor of the tyre tracks just miss the corner signboard,,,then just miss the electricity wood pole,,,then just missed the anchor cable (phew??) and go straight through a bush,,,by the time i got the camera out everybody had helped the boer and the horse up and were pushing it out of the brush,,,,,

aparently the bike flipped head over heels and the rider landed on his back,,,but no real damage,,,thank goodness,,,in fact i shudder to think of all those possible crashes he managed to elude,,,i suppose me still being paranoia about falling of my AT makes me rather over sensitive,,,,

pics.
1, everybody helping to reftrieve our bolted bronc and his boer rider
2. paule and the AT ,,,all well,,,thank goodness

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    61.9 KB
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    80 KB
drinking lemonade with another friendly farmer at the foot of breedtsnek

yes,,,its real lemondae,,,,who's bringing the gin next time

o hja,,,except groenie,,,but then he did take a sip

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    61.3 KB
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    65.9 KB
on top of the familiar breedtsnek but this time we see the blockhouse remnants on the otherside,,,see pic,,,

also for plottie and  the jameson raiders i inlude a pic where there raid was thwarted by the boere shooting over the hill as indicated on the pic at the british on the other side,,,,

also pointed out was wolhuterskop, the birthplace of the tribe big chief who now owns all the mineral rights for platinum

the british decided to finish the war for once and ever after the defeat of bullers men,,,,they imported thousands of troups and according to history also 30 000 horses from england on the ship and then by train to the magaliesberg area,,,,this time they also brought the kakiebos seeds (black jacks),,,,but they then started building these 8 000 blockhouses all the way from mafeking right across to the jozie side of town to try and stop the boers coming throuigh,,,in between these blockhouse the spanned 3700 miles of barbwire fences and according to the numbers they had a british soldier looking after every 24 feet of the boundary,,,the klockhouses were connected telegraphically and where it wasnt possible they had line of vision and used heliographs or just plain morse code waving a flag,,

i wanted to see a complete blockhouse from close by and off we went to bartons folly,,,another friendly farmer opening his bar to us and treating us with hospitality and more stories and quips from Robin,,,,what an entertainer and what knowledge he has about this area,,,,

pics
1. remanants of a blockhouse at breedtsnek
2. the area where the boers shot volleys over the mountain thus stopping the jameson raid..
3. bellow bartons folly blockhouse,,,another friendlt farmer feeding us drinks and just being friendly and hospital

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    52.5 KB
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    35.4 KB
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    41 KB
ok,,,by this time it was way beyond lunchtime and everybody was hungry,,,the decisions was made to go to thatchhaven where the worlds biggest hamburgers are made and eaten,,,

for me,,,i had to go,,,some of the other commando's had left already and some bittereinders stayed longer,,,,so we greeted and spat in our different directions,,,,me included,,,,i still have a huge fear paranoia of riding my bike after my chain saw massacre

to db9,,,thanx a lot dude,,,and especially to Robin ,,,what an interesting person,,,a living treasure,,,,,i would love to have more excursion around his stories,,,,plse thank him dearly from all of us and maybe we should arrange another ride soon,,,this anglo stuff has defnitely captured my imagination,,,,

there are still thousands of stories around harties,,,the time the boers managed to break through the barb wire and blockhouse cordon and steal the wagon full of xmas presents,,,,the hunting stories,,,the jameson raid and the way they blew up trains and tracks,,,how they sneaked through and dont get me started oh jozie,,,

jozie,,duiwelsdorp as Oom paul called it with its 97 brothels of various countries,,,apparently lots from usa and england,,, about 10 german brothels, 5 polish and even 2 russian brothels,,,drinking and debauchery and sins of our fathers,,,

im obviously very into the Kruger stories as its my family,,,oom paul is another story for another day and ride,,,then there are the de la reys, the stories of baden powel, arthur conan doyle, churchill and ghandi,,,,,all of them scrounging around magaliesberg,,,all of them just looking for adventure,,,net om die draai,,,

the last pic is one of the train bridges that made it and wasnt blown up and also wanted to show yous the chain saw massacre on my bike,,,thanx to advmx for fixing her,,,all that is left is the stukkende numberplate that i might leave on for a while

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    98.2 KB
Thanks for the organisation and the lekker ride. Hope you are feeling better Paule after your off. The gods were definately watching over you! Sorry, no photo's to post.