Into Africa - DASKOP's 12000km drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my way to Makuzi Beach Lodge.

I stop to fill up and immediately draw the attention of some local bike enthusiasts. Photo time. That is another nice advantage of riding bike, people feel free to come and talk to you, you will not normally get people approaching you in a 4x4 in the same way.

Back on the road with some random shots. Beautiful day in Malawi.      :ricky:

Attachments

• Dwangwa to Makuzi (3).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi (3).JPG
    101.8 KB
  • Local bike enthusiasts.JPG
    Local bike enthusiasts.JPG
    144.4 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi (7).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi (7).JPG
    81 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi (6).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi (6).JPG
    86.5 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi (4).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi (4).JPG
    112.6 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi (5).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi (5).JPG
    84.3 KB
The next sequence of photos indicate how ineffective signage is if there is no on-going education in this regard and if it is not enforced. Then, there should also be an environmentally friendly alternative made available.

At this rate Africa will be treeless soon.

Attachments

• Save the trees.jpg
    Save the trees.jpg
    138.9 KB
  • What sign....JPG
    What sign....JPG
    101.7 KB
  • The sign in front of you.JPG
    The sign in front of you.JPG
    92.8 KB
  • Can't read.JPG
    Can't read.JPG
    114.1 KB
  • Blissful ignorance.JPG
    Blissful ignorance.JPG
    144.7 KB
It is an absolute beautiful day for biking in Malawi.............

Attachments

• Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach.JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach.JPG
    93.1 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach (2).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach (2).JPG
    99.8 KB
  • Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach (3).JPG
    Dwangwa to Makuzi Beach (3).JPG
    124 KB
The last section of tar to Makuzi is soon over and I turn off at the Makuzi Beach Lodge sign on the main road onto a gravel road. The gravel sections are fine. It is the periodic deep sections of sand that have me very nervous. The bike is heavy and it is HOT.

I encounter some bicycles along the way, greet the friendly locals that all come out to see this bike passing through, pull over for an oncoming truck, carry on, hit some more sand and fall over.

All caught on Gopro video, I just need to determine how to save stills from the videos in order to post them here.       ???

Fortunately, there are some eager helping hands to get me upright, but my self confidence has taken a serious knock...............and it is HOT.

The location is also not all that well sign posted, or the combination of sand and HOTness, has messed up my concentration, and I missed them, resulting in a few extra stops to ask the locals whether I am on the right road. Apparently I am going in the right direction.

After a good talking to myself, a few choice words and deep breaths, I hit the rest of the gravel and sand and eventually get to Makuzi Beach Lodge at around lunch time. Through arid sections, agricultural fields, small villages (conglomerations of huts), all looking dry and dusty, you suddenly enter a green treed, shaded, lush area, the perfect representation of an oasis. Now the Hot does not feel as hot anymore.

I meet up with Richard, husband of Lauren, daughter of Rhys Davies, parents of the "bush turkey". They are the managers of Makuzi Beach Lodge. I am shown to my accommodation. A "hut" right on the beach. seriously, how lucky can one be?

What a place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is straight from the travel brochure glossies.        Mind blowingly spectacularly beautiful......... :drif:

From here on the pictures can do the talking...................... :drif:

Attachments

• Arrival at Makuzi Beach Lodge.JPG
    Arrival at Makuzi Beach Lodge.JPG
    185.2 KB
  • Makuzi Beach Rock and Tree formation.JPG
    Makuzi Beach Rock and Tree formation.JPG
    107.2 KB
  • Makuzi Beach.JPG
    Makuzi Beach.JPG
    93.3 KB
  • Bar deck.JPG
    Bar deck.JPG
    108.9 KB
  • View from the bar deck.JPG
    View from the bar deck.JPG
    97.3 KB
  • Welcome shade in the heat.JPG
    Welcome shade in the heat.JPG
    158.4 KB
  • View from my hut.JPG
    View from my hut.JPG
    169.3 KB
  • Makuzi Beach Accommodation.JPG
    Makuzi Beach Accommodation.JPG
    186.2 KB
The "Hut" is absolutely cool. Full on double bed with mozzie net, great en-suite, the whole shebang, all beautifully finished. I do the quick unpack thing and get onto the deck to start absorbing this whole place. A cold frostie and I am ready to go and do some exploring.

Off the deck, down the beach, over some rocks, through some dense bush, via some stinging nettle type of barbed spear scratch that patch stuff, and I am on top of the hill overlooking Makuzi Beach. I just sat on that rock and marvelled at the exceptional blessing that I was experiencing at that moment.

It was Tuesday, the 16th of July. There were people working all over the world right now, but I was sitting on a rock, next to Lake Malawi, in the most amazing weather, looking at people's idea of paradise.

:eek7:

Attachments

• Makuzi Beach from the hill.JPG
    Makuzi Beach from the hill.JPG
    157.1 KB
  • Clear waters of Lake Malawi.JPG
    Clear waters of Lake Malawi.JPG
    150.3 KB
  • View from the hill.JPG
    View from the hill.JPG
    137.2 KB
  • On the hill.JPG
    On the hill.JPG
    141.6 KB
  • Feet up.JPG
    Feet up.JPG
    79.6 KB
  • Lake Malawi.JPG
    Lake Malawi.JPG
    104.9 KB
How is this for an amazing view??????????????

Attachments

• Panoramic view of Makuzi Beach (1) (Large).JPG
    Panoramic view of Makuzi Beach (1) (Large).JPG
    201.8 KB
Or this?

Attachments

• Panoramic view of Makuzi Beach (2) (Large).JPG
    Panoramic view of Makuzi Beach (2) (Large).JPG
    134 KB
OK, time to move on, plenty to see and do.

Down the hill through dense, dry, high grass, over boulders and through another stinging nettle barbed spear type nature's revenge that has me sitting on the beach, applying liberal amounts of coarse beach sand to the offending itching areas and rubbing profusely. It helped a little bit.

On the other side of Makuzi Beach, there are some huts hidden in the trees and then it opens up into another beautiful secluded bay from where the locals launch their fishing Mokoros.

There are beautiful rock formations, amazing types of vegetation, natural interactions and this background noise of the busy clear fresh water everywhere. I can absolutely live here.

Attachments

• Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (7).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (7).JPG
    159.1 KB
  • Local makoro onto fishing grounds.JPG
    Local makoro onto fishing grounds.JPG
    103.8 KB
  • Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (5).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (5).JPG
    85.1 KB
  • Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (4).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (4).JPG
    148.6 KB
  • Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (3).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (3).JPG
    170.9 KB
  • Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (2).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (2).JPG
    160.1 KB
  • Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (1).JPG
    Exploring the other side of Makuzi 16 July (1).JPG
    179.7 KB
Baie mooi fotos Marius. Skaapkop wil volgende keer saam - jy moet net bereid wees om te sukkel :imaposer: :imaposer:

Solank sy "Air Time" op is, of anders sal ek sonder ore terug kom.    :laughing4:

Hy sal maar ook moet leer om bike te ry. Op die bakkie tel nie.

Dit is ook net eenkeer in n leeftyd dat jy so n luck sal raKloop om toevallig iemand soos Rhys te leer ken

M, ry nog altyd saam. :thumleft: Geniet dit gate uit!

4 Kays said:
Baie mooi fotos Marius. Skaapkop wil volgende keer saam - jy moet net bereid wees om te sukkel :imaposer: :imaposer:

Ek subscribe sommer nou al vir daai RR  :imaposer:  :peepwall:

Jondu said:
Dit is ook net eenkeer in n leeftyd dat jy so n luck sal raKloop om toevallig iemand soos Rhys te leer ken

Dit is net so. Dit was ook nie die laaste keer wat Rhys deel was van hierdie adventure nie.

After my walkabout, I retire to the deck and have a long chat with Richard over some refreshments. I get some info for my trip further north. I also get to know the "Bush Turkey", Rhys' grand daughter.

Wonder why Rhys calls her that................ :biggrin:

Then it becomes magic time...........................sunset at Makuzi Beach Lodge. Not a good photo, sorry.

Just imagine experiencing this every evening of your life....................even bad weather will be spectacular.

I cannot believe that I only arrived here today. I have already had a senses overload. And I still have the whole of tomorrow to look forward too.

If you get an opportunity to do this, don't even think or hesitate, just do it. You will never regret it.

Attachments

• Sunset at Makuzi Beach (Large).JPG
    Sunset at Makuzi Beach (Large).JPG
    102.3 KB
BMWPE said:
Why are these Lodges ,  beaches so deserted
are there no tourists around ?
eg.  no bikini babes on the beaches  ;D

It was wonderfully quiet. It is supposed to be winter. But, it is really the best time to go, no rain (he says now), no mozzie swarms, not overwhelmingly hot and most of all (for me), not over run by Germans in short socks and sandals. (No offence meant.)

There were some people who I will tell about in the next posting.

17 July 2013

I am up early. Excited to go and see more of this amazing place. These are SUNRISE pictures (just for those who may have seen the previous posting before I picked up on my photo mistake).

Note to self..............don't try to sort photos whilst still half asleep.

Attachments

• Sunrise at Makuzi (2) (Small).jpg
    Sunrise at Makuzi (2) (Small).jpg
    92.9 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (3) (Small).jpg
    Sunrise at Makuzi (3) (Small).jpg
    99.5 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (4) (Small).jpg
    Sunrise at Makuzi (4) (Small).jpg
    100.5 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (5) (Small).jpg
    Sunrise at Makuzi (5) (Small).jpg
    127.7 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (8) (Small).JPG
    Sunrise at Makuzi (8) (Small).JPG
    136 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (9) (Small).JPG
    Sunrise at Makuzi (9) (Small).JPG
    75.8 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (10) (Small).JPG
    Sunrise at Makuzi (10) (Small).JPG
    95.9 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (11) (Small).JPG
    Sunrise at Makuzi (11) (Small).JPG
    81.6 KB
  • Sunrise at Makuzi (Small).JPG
    Sunrise at Makuzi (Small).JPG
    81.8 KB
OK lets get the sunrise pictures out of the way so that I can get onto my walkabout.

Attachments

• Makuzi Beach Sunrise Panoramic (Large).JPG
    Makuzi Beach Sunrise Panoramic (Large).JPG
    102.5 KB

Latest posts