Into Africa - DASKOP's 12000km drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and.............................................?

The bike is secured on the back of the bakkie. On the side stand, pulled down with my, I-am-so-happy-I-bought-them, red tie-downs and further adhered to the vehicle with a blue rope that was found in the bakkie. We tug and pull on it a few times just to ensure that it is not going to fall over.

I have checked that I have not forgotten anything. This was a very quick pack. Some of my kit is in the front in the cab as the floor of the load body has a diesel coating, which also makes it a bit slippery. The only loose thing on the back is my body armour which nearly flew off the back unnoticed during our bumpy ride on the corrugated gravel. It was grabbed just in time by one of the guys.

These manne, my rescuers, have been working hard on their thirst the whole time whilst at the Mira Chicamba Lodge, but just as we are ready to leave, it is decided that padkos is an excellent idea. So, our departure is delayed while some cold beers are sourced from Carlos' pub.

Not for me though. I am so tender, you can cut me with a butter knife.

In front is Danielle, the Zim farmer’s better half and the Moz Farmer, our driver. He is asked very nicely to please take it easy on the gravel road, which is very bad. As I said on my trip in, it is some of the worst corrugations I have ever ridden. Obviously, having the bike on the back is reason enough to warrant some caution, but the fragile demeanor and/or constitution of the live bodies there should also have contributed to a favourable consideration of the request for restraint when tackling the corrugated gravel road. Well, that is what a sane person would consider to be a fair request.

On the back, the four of us and a broken bike. And we are off, them with beer in hand, me with bike in hand.

Attachments

• Broken Bike (3).jpg
    Broken Bike (3).jpg
    132.6 KB
It has to be said that the destination of my broken bike had been discussed by my rescuers. David, a mate of theirs in Chimoio, has a mechanical workshop and that is going to be the first stop. They have tried a few times to phone him, but signal is a problem.

But firstly, we have to get to Chimoio safely and in one piece, but the way that the Moz farmer is driving on the gravel, that is becoming doubtful. One of the guys on the back mentions that the bakkie is now going faster on the gravel that it had gone on the tar coming in. Great contribution to my peace of mind, as I am hanging on and hoping that my bike stays upright while we are bouncing along on the gravel.

So, just before we get onto the tar, the bakkie comes to grinding halt and the opportunity is taken to release the pressure caused by the yeast based liquid and the constant shaking on the corrugated road surface.

They get hold of David, but he cannot help, he is taking part in a week long fishing competition on the other side of Lake Chicamba. And he is not coming back to Chimoio for anything until the competition is over. However, we can take the bike to his workshop, there will be someone to take a look at it.

So, off we go again. Half way to Chimoio, there is a roadside pub/restaurant/motel/lodge type building and we stop as the lady needs a loo and the guys need more liquid refreshments. There is a huge open air party going on outside in the fenced off garden area. With some brews and a Coke for tender old me, we are on our way again. 

On our way into Chimoio, we turn into the road where I saw the sign advertising Linda’s Lodge when I was on my way to Mira Chicamba Lodge. We drive past Linda’s until we stop at a locked gate at Auto Tech, David’s place. Hooting gets no response, so one of the guys climbs over the gate and eventually the guard is there, the gate is opened and my bike off loaded. We inform the guard that I will be back in the morning to talk to the mechanic about my problem

The guys then take me down the road to Linda’s Lodge and I get a room for the night. The two pilots explain that they live just up the road and Danielle’s office is just around the corner.

I am extremely grateful for all the help these people have given me up to this stage. The first hurdle in getting my bike has been sorted.

Tomorrow is another day……………….now it is time to get some sleep, without those screeching guinea fowl.

Attachments

• Broken Bike (2).jpg
    Broken Bike (2).jpg
    157.8 KB
  • Broken Bike (4).jpg
    Broken Bike (4).jpg
    132.3 KB
  • Broken Bike (5).jpg
    Broken Bike (5).jpg
    129.6 KB
It is tomorrow and time to face the music. What will the verdict, if any, be?

Attachments

• Broken Bike (6).jpg
    Broken Bike (6).jpg
    173.9 KB
dirtyXT said:
DASKOP said:
It is tomorrow and time to face the music. What will the verdict, if any, be?
some african ingenuity saves the day?
MURPHY said:
only in Africa !!!

I am just so glad to see that the two of you are still alive....................... :thumleft:

We started at the initial problem diagnosed. As per Alan's "hit it on the nail" reaction. Just there is the offending part.

Why did it not want to fire up with direct power supply to the fuel pump?

???

Attachments

• Broken Bike (7).jpg
    Broken Bike (7).jpg
    113.3 KB
woody1 said:
Draadloos

MEER SOOS RADELOOS.        :dontknow:

EN DIE TYD RAAK MINDER        :clock:

EN EK KAN NIE SLAAP NIE        :coffee:

The guys are trying to assure me that they will get this BMW Bike sorted. It has a fuel injection like most of the Toyotas that they work on. How hard can it be? The principle is the same.

They have long discussions regarding all the possibilities. Put the power onto the pump, it is turning, but not getting fuel to the injectors and the bike does not want to fire up.

It still does not prevent me from running around like a broody hen gathering every nut, bolt, screw and loose item that is removed from the bike, as they are stripping it and placing it somewhere safe, all together. The guys find it quite amusing.

Then the rain also came and we had to get the bike undercover with all its innards now exposed.

Attachments

• Broken Bike (8).jpg
    Broken Bike (8).jpg
    126.7 KB
  • Broken Bike (11).jpg
    Broken Bike (11).jpg
    192 KB
Fantastic RR and great pics  :thumleft:  Thanks

Can't wait for the rest  ;D

In the meantime we are sweating and worrying about this and no comms! L

WHAT IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING AFTER MONEY WHEN TRAVELLING IN UNKNOWN TERRIOTORY? COMMUNICATION DEVICE!

BikeAlanPE said:

WHAT IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING AFTER MONEY WHEN TRAVELLING IN UNKNOWN TERRIOTORY? COMMUNICATION DEVICE!

I agree, will never make that mistake again.

The bike’s injectors are taken out, power is put on the pump, the pump turns, but no fuel is emerging.

Next step, the guys decide to take out the fuel pump and strip it. So all the panels come off. The bike looks like a drenched chicken once stripped. (I was so nervous at this stage that I forgot to take photos of the innards of my bike being on the outside). Power on, still nothing.

The guys at the workshop are adament they will have this bike on the road, come hell or high water and I am swept up by their unwavering enthusiasm. We can do anything, it is just the impossible that takes a bit  longer. I will introduce them to you soon,

Nothing I can do here at the moment and the guys have some other cars that also need to meet a deadline. so one of the pilots kindly takes me into Chimoio to draw money, get a sim card for the S4, air time and also buy some provisions. Linda’s Lodge does not provide any meals and there is only a communal kitchen. Self-catering is the in thing there. Not that I have much of an appetite at the moment.

When I get back, we get the Diagnostic Tool, that Martin loaned after we met him and Jannie in Ai-Ais, linked up with a laptop at the pilots’ office and then we carry the whole lot down the road to the workshop and connected to my bike. I have comms now and we are talking to Alan during all this. The diagnostic report just confirms what Alan has been saying.

We need to now find an alternative solution to the problem. I am very nervous of trying anything else considering the bike electronics. One mistake, the electronics is in its proverbial ……… and then what?

In the meantime, as chances of a repair look more and more unlikely, we have started arranging with Alan to have a Fuel Pressure Sensor shipped from RSA to Chimoio. The fixed wing pilot had spoken to one of their logistics managers who would arrange with someone else, to pick it up and deliver it to their premises. I also met the big boss of Moz Beef, in their company workshop, and he said that as long as the value of the package was below R100, it would be able to come in immediately without a lengthy Custom Clearance and not take 2 weeks to get to me. (The boss of Moz Beef is a big man, with a big beard and short pants, not what you would normally imagine for the boss of a multi-billion rand company that is listed on the London Stock Exchange)

When it started looking like getting the sensor into Mozambique might prove to be problematic, I contacted Rhys in Malawi and explained my predicament. He got hold of a mate in Beira, that was going to send a truck to fetch me and the bike and then I was to be put on a plane and flown bake to RSA where I would be able to have the bike repaired.

Then, one of the guys comes up with an idea. While the fuel pump is now outside, stripped and in no way connected to the bike, he brings in a separate battery and puts power to the pump, but reverses the positive and negative connecting cables.

The pump comes to life and spurts a huge stream of thick black gunge from the reservoir out of the fuel line in the right direction.

The problem was that the positive and negative terminals were connected wrong way around and the pump came on, but it was turning in the wrong direction. Blue, yellow, red, black………………why do they not just stick with 2 colours, period?

We got it wrong. Red and blue or was it yellow, or black on yellow or was it blue? Or I could have heard wrong…………………………… (you know with me being mechanically challenged and all), but it seems that it was a good thing though that it happened like that, because if that gunge went into the fuel system and did its thing with the injectors etc., I would have had an even bigger problem.

Another lesson learnt. Filter the fuel as it goes into the tank.

O0

This version is subject to possible change as new info comes to light.

BikeAlanPE said:

Just as important to make sure the right instructions are there when connecting different coloured cables to create a current in the right direction ...................     

BLUE                YELLOW                  CONFUSED           
                                                                                                                                                            :imaposer:
:dink:                    :disgust:    :male:          :mblah05:  :bootyshake:                :brave:

Ai my tjom...... ek sien jou al klaar pace... ek haal my hoet af vir daai ouens wat daar was want jy was seker soos n moeder hen om hulle.... wel ek sou ook wees.

Even although it seems like we have found the problem, swopping around the wires is still not a definite guarantee that the problem is solved.

The pump is stripped (I am neurotic, seeing all the little parts that are coming off, whether they will get back together the way it is supposed to be) and thoroughly cleaned. Then the injectors are cleaned and the reassembly starts.

The bike is all back together again and not a single part is left over. A toggle switch is installed in the fairing which regulates the now direct power to the fuel pump. I need to remember this…………stop the bike and switch it off, switch on again before starting the bike.

Then the moment of truth, everything is done, I get on the bike, switch on the ignition, all the right lights come on, I flick the toggle switch and press the starter button and the bike fires into life. They did it. I was going to be able to finish my trip on my bike.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!

I have been in contact with the owner of the workshop, David Froude of Auto Tech, regarding the guys who worked on my bike. These are guys in the photo, and who remained adamant that they would get it running. The one seated on the bike is Morgan and the other is Tichaona, who was tragically killed in a car accident in December.

Even without their boss there, they did an amazing job and I will always be grateful to them.

:thumleft:

Attachments

• Broken Bike (14).jpg
    Broken Bike (14).jpg
    127.9 KB
  • Broken Bike (17).jpg
    Broken Bike (17).jpg
    106.5 KB
  • Broken Bike (13).jpg
    Broken Bike (13).jpg
    126.2 KB
dirtyXT said:
lekker I called it! some african enginuity.

THAT YOU DID MY BOET, THAT YOU DEFINITELY DID.                           :headbang:

The invoice total was 3400 MT (see attached).

Attachments

• Bike repair Inv Moz.png
    Bike repair Inv Moz.png
    71.9 KB
Bike is fixed, so I go and thank my rescuers for their help, get the bike and head into Chimoio. I have a debt to settle with Carlos. I contact him and we agree to meet at the Standard Bank in Chimoio. I draw money and wait for him to arrive. He works for a German company in town which was initially an aid company, but it is now involved in development or something.

When Carlos arrives, he greets me with a big hug like a long lost friend. This man has really been amazing in the way that he has treated me despite only knowing me for a few days.

The hand scribbled note that he gives me with what I owe him, reflects an amount that was way less than I expected. Plus another small amount for air time. That is all I owed him was his reply upon my query. So I settled with him and after well wishes we part company.

It is back to Linda's Lodge where I settle my accommodation bill, get packing as I want to leave early in the morning.

Check the Bokomo Beskuit from the Spar (I think it was a Spar) in Chimoio. The TV only had Portuguese channels.

Attachments

• Lindas Lodge (1).jpg
    Lindas Lodge (1).jpg
    198.3 KB
  • Lindas Lodge (2).jpg
    Lindas Lodge (2).jpg
    220.2 KB
  • The kitchen.jpg
    The kitchen.jpg
    104.9 KB
  • Road from Lindas to workshop.jpg
    Road from Lindas to workshop.jpg