Is a Royal Enfield perhaps the best Adventure bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umko

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
On way to the "Roof" last year, we came across a slogged out bike parked on the side of the road in the Golden Gate national park. The rider was sitting on a rock enjoying the view and eating a sarmie he'd picked up in Clarens. (One of the great pleasures of adventure riding?).
His name was Richard and he'd spent 18 months riding his 1955 Royal Enfield down the east coast from the UK - much of it with his chick on the back! He was en route to Cape Town and contemplating riding up the west coast back to UK.
When he heard where we were headed he said, "I'm going into Lesotho tomorrow and out via Sani Pass. Will my bike handle it?" It was on the tip of my tongue to say, "You crazy Soutie - you can't ride Sani on a 50 year old British road bike!" when I remembered where he'd already been and just nodded.
Those of us ancient enough to know what dreadful pieces of cast iron 1950's British bikes were can only marvel at this feat. I wonder what his oil consumption was and whether he is in fact on his way back to the UK - which would explain the oil demand bubble and the increase in the price of crude. ("Crude" describes old British bikes and the oil they spread on the road and the rider's legs)
How's this compare with Charlie and Ewan (and the latter's hideous wife!) with their team of mechanics, doctors, fixers and 4X4s?
Did anyone else meet him?