It started as a great saturday ride, until.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRyPH

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
It was a great Saturday morning, just a few clouds in the sky, and in all a perfect day for riding.
I grabbed all my gear and headed off.  The plan was to go through the Montagu pass near George then off to Oudshoorn via the road less travelled.

02052009451.jpg

Everyone that has done this route will agree that its a great ride.  From Oudshoorn I headed in the direction of the Cango Caves, and the plan was to take the gravel route from there leading to Calitzdorp. I heard of a “port festival ‘ held there and I thought it a stop worth checking out.
But on my way to the gravel road I got sidetracked when I saw the “Swartberg pass” leading towards Prins-Albert.  I decided to ride to the top, turn around and then after continue to Calitzdorp. A decision I was later to regret.
The pass itself was a great ride, and the view from the top is great

02052009452.jpg

02052009453.jpg

“The view from the top”

On the way down I came across about 20 odd DS riders on their way to Prins-Albert, and I wondered if there were any dawgs in the group.
This was turning out to be a great day. However! And here it turns nasty. On my way down from the pass I came to this sign

02052009455.jpg

And realized that I was coming to the corner a little to fast. Without getting to technical, small adjustments were made and the turn became no problem.
Until, that is, I saw the headlights of a Passat coming from the opposite side! There was no way of getting out of the way of the car and the result is not a happy one.
Needless to say a head-on collision was made and even more needless to say is that the day turned fowl real fast!
Lucky for me neither I nor the Passat was travelling fast as the turn itself doesn’t allow it but the impact was still hard enough to send me rolling over the bonnet and windscreen of the car.
I was also wearing full ATGATT and thus escaped any major injury (left with just a few small scrapes and bruises.

02052009456.jpg

“Sceneof accident”

After the accident 4 riders also came past again and I could not mistake the paw print on the back of the helmet of the guy that stopped to ask if I needed help. . I didn’t catch your name and its a pity we had to ...uhm ...” meet” under such circumstances. Thanks again for asking if help was needed.

It was great to see the amount of people that was willing to stop and ask if we needed any help. From riders to cagers alike.
I am now awaiting the quote to see what my damage will be to fix the AT. I am HOPING that it will not be too much!
One thing is for certain. I will never deviate from the plan again.

hmmm  fixed

sorry,  first time photobucket user.  just had to sort out the kinks

Glad to hear you're not injured. Don't worry about the accident, you'll have them wether you deviate or not. Take the adventure!  :thumleft:

Ag no! And such a beautiful bike. :-\

Hope you get sorted soon! We should take a ride some time :ricky:

ja, those 4 bikers was us.
Me- Bonova, Koos (John Juan) my girlfriend -Jeanne (footloose) and Jan-
glad you ok dude - the guy who stopped was Jan (i dunno his forum name how bad is that?)
The Old lady that was in the car gave Jan an earful about riding slowly ;D
I was at the back, and you were all loaded up and pretty much leaving. At 1st i thought it was just a bike getting trailored somewhere and a broken down car (on a tow truck), then i looked in my rear view mirror and saw the car's windscreen pushed in. We stopped just further on and Jan said you were fine, so no need to turn around to check.

those corners can be deceptive.
Glad you fine, and hope the bike is better soon!

its great to put names to the uhmmm...  bikes. (cant really say I saw your faces hehehe)
The old lady gave you a earfull and the worst is that I didnt even ride fast!
Its just one hell of a deceptive bend.

The guy with the towtruck that picked up the car said, its nothing unusual for them anymore. apparently they get called out to that pass almost every weekend for a bike - car  accident.

Im still waiting for a quote on the bike, and im really starting to worry that it might be a write-off. I really hope that is not the case though because I love that bike.

Yep. Lets hope it's not a write-off.
hope.gif

Bonova you from George as well?

Youre a lucky man. You can buy another bike. Your body is what counts.

Damm Phil!! dit was baie naby!! Bly jy is ok man!! En di AT - ?? ???
Sterkte da......!! :thumleft:

That's my worst fear when out on the road - almost got realized going over Swartberg pass on easter: Coming around a corner and seeing a car coming for you on the wrong side of the road.

Glad you are fine, but very sorry for the damage to the bike.

Scrat said:
Damm Phil!! dit was baie naby!! Bly jy is ok man!! En di AT - ?? ???
Sterkte da......!! :thumleft:

wag steeds vir n quote, sal seker in die week nog by my uitkom dan sal ek laat weet.
Wat my pla, jy weet self, AT parte is nie juis vollop nie en dit maak my bekommerd.
hoop ma nie dit hardloop te hoog nie.

Eisbein said:
That's my worst fear when out on the road - almost got realized going over Swartberg pass on easter: Coming around a corner and seeing a car coming for you on the wrong side of the road.

Glad you are fine, but very sorry for the damage to the bike.

thats a great pass to ride but quite dangerous. the bends really are deceptive for bikes and cars alike and i can tell you its definitly not fun seeing that car coming round the bend on your side of the very narrow road to begin with.

chrisL said:
Youre a lucky man. You can buy another bike. Your body is what counts.

thats what I say as well. the most important thing is that no-one was hurt.( there was a child in the cage as well so Im glad they were also good)

Latest posts