J-dog's Winterberg Race! *Now the Blue Horizon Enduro!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I did a three hour solo ride in terrain similar to the Winterberg. Most of the riding I do is in sand. This was quite different: Mud, rock climbs and rivers. Interestingly, although technically it was quite a challenge, it isn't nearly as tiring as dune riding. This gives me hope for my fitness next weekend. Here are some pics:

Here I got stuck in the mud climbing a fairly steep hill. My mistake was to underestimate the sogginess of the mud. In fact my boot got stuck in the same trench, and I had to remove my foot to get the boot out!

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 248
This is me after pulling the bike onto its side and dragging it several meters to the right on its side to get it unstuck.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 248
This hill defeated me twice. I rode up it 3 times after that to conquer the hill and hone my technique. By the 5th climb it was easy :)

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 250
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 245
looking back down.

The second pic is another hill I attempted just once and then gave up. If I wasn't riding alone, I may have tried again.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 251
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 249
Lots of water everywhere!

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 237
Getting all the kit organised for next weekend. It's quite a bit of work. Not a matter of paying 300 ronds and pitching up on the day and asking where the start line is...

Tomorrow We'll be going back to the same area and doing another three hours. Same on Tuesday.

I'm told it is important to give up the Whisky and fags at this stage. I'll give a bash tonite, but I don't hold up much hope. In fact, I might have a small tot of Taliban Jew right now to fortify myself before I wash my bike.

Till the next post.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 235
Would like to try some tracks like that. Looks like fun!

You might need a bottle of 'medicine' for after the race  :biggrin:

axehead said:
Would like to try some tracks like that. Looks like fun!

You might need a bottle of 'medicine' for after the race  :biggrin:

And a few tots before I start - medicinal as you say  :ricky:

What pressures you running ? you can drop the rear to about .7 to .8 and front .8

J-dog™ said:
looking back down.

The second pic is another hill I attempted just once and then gave up. If I wasn't riding alone, I may have tried again.

DAMMMMMMMM...... that sure is a steep hill. Respect for you Buddy. :thumleft: :thumleft:

is that ford test track area?  looks lekker, maybe i shoudl bring my WR for some fun

Knucklhead said:
is that ford test track area?  looks lekker, maybe i shoudl bring my WR for some fun
looks more like back of westering

Looks like fun. Its gonna be harder when you do the real thing, but that seems like good prep.

Take it easy from Tuesday on.

KTMjedi said:
What pressures you running ? you can drop the rear to about .7 to .8 and front .8

I am running around 1.2. Is it ok to drop the Mitas that low? Seems like they are quite "stiff" so prolly ok.

Wolweseun said:
Knucklhead said:
looks more like back of westering

Ja. It's behind the old Hypermarket. I'm not sure what the area is called, but there are plenty of different types of terrain as you can see. I went alone, but after watching Carte Blanche last night, it seems it's better to ride together. Also of course, in case of mishap or injury.

J-dog™ said:
KTMjedi said:

I am running around 1.2. Is it ok to drop the Mitas that low? Seems like they are quite "stiff" so prolly ok.
1.2  :eek:...thats way way to hard for that tyre....max .9...I ride .6 to .7 with Tubliss! Your tracktion is about to go up 25%!

KTMjedi said:
J-dog™ said:
KTMjedi said:

1.2  :eek:...thats way way to hard for that tyre....max .9...I ride .6 to .7 with Tubliss! Your tracktion is about to go up 25%!

yeeha! Even more much needed help from the tyres  :thumleft:

Latest posts