jupiter's travels - the story of a journey ( Index Post 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:sip:

Attachments

• DSC04970.JPG
    DSC04970.JPG
    391.4 KB
  • DSC04971.JPG
    DSC04971.JPG
    375.5 KB
  • DSC04972.JPG
    DSC04972.JPG
    284.3 KB
  • DSC04969.JPG
    DSC04969.JPG
    180.6 KB
At prins Albert we take a welcome break with a cup of coffee

Attachments

• DSC04974.JPG
    DSC04974.JPG
    203.8 KB
We enjoy the sweep through Meiringspoort and stop at the waterfall where we had not been for some time.

Attachments

• DSC04975.JPG
    DSC04975.JPG
    214.7 KB
  • DSC04977.JPG
    DSC04977.JPG
    380.2 KB
  • DSC04978.JPG
    DSC04978.JPG
    234.5 KB
  • DSC04979.JPG
    DSC04979.JPG
    379 KB
As always its pretty up there

Attachments

• DSC04980.JPG
    DSC04980.JPG
    370.3 KB
  • DSC04983.JPG
    DSC04983.JPG
    228 KB
  • DSC04984.JPG
    DSC04984.JPG
    351.9 KB
  • DSC04986.JPG
    DSC04986.JPG
    375.5 KB
More

Attachments

• DSC04991.JPG
    DSC04991.JPG
    328.6 KB
  • DSC04990.JPG
    DSC04990.JPG
    395.6 KB
  • DSC04989.JPG
    DSC04989.JPG
    401 KB
  • DSC04987.JPG
    DSC04987.JPG
    357.6 KB
In De Rust we have the obligatory cup of coffee and stock up on some supplies for a picnic lunch. I know where I want to go. I had last been to the waterfall at rus en Vrede, on the Ou Muragie road, in my army days and wanted to show it to Lyn. Its a bit of a hike but well worth it. rates right up there with any of the slendid falls you can think of.

The surroundings make for a perfect setting on a day that was filled with highlights. Revisting old roads for me, but mostly new to Lyn.

Attachments

• DSC04993.JPG
    DSC04993.JPG
    327.5 KB
  • DSC04992.JPG
    DSC04992.JPG
    356.6 KB
  • DSC04994.JPG
    DSC04994.JPG
    317.5 KB
XT JOE said:
Nice, hoe lyk jy soveel jonger in daai fotos... :biggrin:

Ek was ! Nou kamoefleer ek my maar agter die baard  :imaposer:

In Oudtshoorn I go to the Arbitoire and get some ostrich steaks for the evening. Besides many else, Hentie is also an excellent cook.
We take some more back roads to Sedgefield and end the day late afternoon and evening with an most enjoyable braai.

At last I get to show you Rushmere. A beautiful old colonial farmhouse looking out over Ruigtevlei. I enjoyed the many occasions we stayed here, just about as much as I enjoy Hooggeveldt. Its a different setting with its own rustige atmosphere.

Attachments

• DSC04996.JPG
    DSC04996.JPG
    236.1 KB
  • DSC04995.JPG
    DSC04995.JPG
    319 KB
                                                                                  Day 4

We wake up and its raining. Not what I had planned, but we will not be put off. On with the rain suits again. The plan was tar home and that's the way we go on the N2, but with some stops in between. I also don't miss the chance to ride Grootrivier and Bloukrans passes, but we're disappointed as Grootrivier is closed with road works.

Back and around to Bloukrans. A splendid ride.

Safe home just before dark and what an enjoyable trip. It was our first extended ride and a success. Lyn had seen more of the yonder and wanted more.

We don't waste much time before the next trip. I say the word and she's on the back of the bike. What more can you ask. I'm a happy man.

Jis ou Jup, ek kan nie verstaan dat jy so maer man is nie. As ek sien dan tand jy. Op amper elke 2de foto.  :imaposer:

Vintage_Mania said:
Jis ou Jup, ek kan nie verstaan dat jy so maer man is nie. As ek sien dan tand jy. Op amper elke 2de foto.  :imaposer:

:lol8: Ek kyk nou deur my foto's en sien min van as ons ry. Aan die begin lyk dit ons het maar net gery en min gestop om foto's te neem. Wanneer ons stop is dit om te eet of koffie te drink en dan neem ons foto's.

Dit raak darem later beter.

Jup op daai een foto waar julle gehike het na die waterval, sien ek julle het julle helmets saam gedra.

Ek weet dis nou al n hele paar jaar later, maar as jy nog nie het nie kry vir jou een van daai fiets slotte/kettings.

Kan lekker helmets en selfs baadjies (ryg kabel deur die moue) op bike vas sluit as jy so n breek vang van die ryery  :thumleft:

Attachments

• images (15).jpg
    images (15).jpg
    4.5 KB
Ek het so ding, net te lui om hom saam te dra.(Lees vergeet gewoonlik.)

Training - September 2009

Early in September we did our pillion training with CountryTrax. It added a whole new dimension to our riding.

Styling. Second and third foto is the slow race. We smoked them.

Attachments

• DSC06154-new.JPG
    DSC06154-new.JPG
    252.8 KB
  • DSC06153.JPG
    DSC06153.JPG
    221.6 KB
  • DSC06154.JPG
    DSC06154.JPG
    196.5 KB
                                                            The Karoo Trip - September 2009

The September long weekend used to be reserved for the Karoo to Coast mountain bike race, but our biking changed a lot of things. Its been yeas since I've done some of the Karoo roads and many Lyn has not seen, so I planned a trip.

We left late Thursday afternoon in a howling Westerly gale to sleep over in Grahamstown, that we could get on gravel early the next morning, making the trip seem longer.

Check out the "GPS" Sort of road book, that would stand us in good stead for a few years. I still only use hardmap.

Attachments

• DSC05417.JPG
    DSC05417.JPG
    320.7 KB
                                                                              Day 1

Its a short piece tar out of Grahamstown and you get on the R344 to Adelaide. Its now a couple of hundred kilometers ov gravel for the rest of the day. Past Adelaide and over Springvalley to Tarkastad.

This is and area rich with settler history and if you want to read more about it get the books of Bartle Logie. Its one of the reasons I enjoy traveling the Eastern Cape. To see the places where our history was made. One of my big interests, sadly neglected over the past years.

Sadly at this stage of our riding we are not focussed on stopping and taking pics when we see pretty , and pretty it is. A beautyful winding road through the mountains and a must do if you ever in the area. Its only about two years later that I will do my first RR and learn the need for foto's.

But we do get some pics when we stop for picnic brunch. Tastes so much better in the veld.

At Tarkastad we take the road below Kommandodrif dam to cradock and see this big lizzard thing on the road. We scare him before a nice pick can be taken, but snap him as he scurrels up the cliff. Can you spot it.

Attachments

• DSC05418.JPG
    DSC05418.JPG
    366.4 KB
  • DSC05419.JPG
    DSC05419.JPG
    372.7 KB
  • DSC05420.JPG
    DSC05420.JPG
    297 KB
We camp at the municipal spot. Very neat and tidy. Evening meals, if we did not braai, would alwys be something different and interesting. We enjoy experimenting with recipes when facilities are limited. Of course I can't remember what it was.

Once dark there is of course not much to do, but we take great pleasure lying in the tent, listening to the night sounds and just being with each other. This is where being best friends becomes important.

Attachments

• DSC05422.JPG
    DSC05422.JPG
    381.8 KB

Latest posts