jupiter's travels - the story of a journey ( Index Post 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
                                                                   June 2009 -  The Winter Trip

We were now fired and any excuse did for a ride. During the year sofar we've been riding a lot, doing day trips around PE. I know all the main gravel roads from MTB and earlier travels and this is what I showed Lyn. For now I still preferred to stay on familiar routes. Exploring the unknown would come later.

Now here's a funny. You know how many times I've done Baviaans, three to four times a year on average... I've never taken Lyn through on the bike from one end to the other. Can't say why. Its just not happened.

While I did the Solo Trip I had already decided I wanted to show Lyn some of the Roads I did, so we took a few days off around the public holiday in June and went cruising.

Our gear was not suiteable for Winter camping and we decided we would stay in fixed accommodation, with Rushmere as our base. It would be one of the very few times we did this. Lyn loves camping and insisted we do it, although I sometimes suggest we stay a night or so in a B&B to rest up and have a break.

We set off middle morning on a cold, wet Winters day. And from now on we have FOTIES  :biggrin:

Day 1

It was justt a light drizzle and had not rained hard the night before. We were aiming for Rushmere for the eveinng and had the alternative at any time to take the N2. First I would test the gravel though.

There's a tar road the connects Humansdorp to Hankey. Just outside Humansdorp a gravel road branches off that runs around the mountains to Kareedow. We call it the Onder Kouga. If you stick straight on the road it takes you down to the Kouga River, over Guerno, with the Side Entry to Baviaans.

This is where we headed. The road was wet, but not a problem. The AT made me seem that I knew what I was doing. Its about a 80km cruise and very scenic. The weather unfortunately robbed us of the views. For some reason, then and on future rides, Lyn did not enjoy the road. Suppose its like that, some get you and some don't.

Its wet and cold and we're hungry. I pull over to get a bit of shelter from the rain.(You have to excuse that I feature in too many of the pics. At that stage I was not a foto taker, so with Lyn taking all the pics I had to end upo in some of them.)

Attachments

• DSC04936.JPG
    DSC04936.JPG
    274.7 KB
It drizzles on and off, but it does not bother us. We're warm and dry in our rain suits. As long as the wheels stay down, we're just happy to be on the bike.

Before you drop down into the kouga valley I take the left to Assegaaibos down a nice little pass. At Kareedow its time for coffee at the Sweaty Dutchman and then on to the R62, Avontuur and Prins Alfreds Pass.

At some point it clears up and we have a sunny ride through the pass and on.

Splendour

Attachments

• DSC04937.JPG
    DSC04937.JPG
    163.3 KB
  • DSC04938.JPG
    DSC04938.JPG
    222.3 KB
At De Vlugt its time for coffee and scones again so we pull in at the Tannie's place. This would become a regular stop for me in future as somehow I lost my taste for Angie's G-Spot.

Attachments

• DSC04940.JPG
    DSC04940.JPG
    287.4 KB
  • DSC04939.JPG
    DSC04939.JPG
    281.7 KB
The rest of the way is just enjoyable. At the turn-off I take Kom se pad and this now would be the first time for Lyn to do it. I always do it slowly in case i come around a corner and there's an elephant. In the first forest section we're naughty and take our helmats off. What a great feeling to ride bare head.

Gouna's drif is a compulsory stop.

Attachments

• DSC04942.JPG
    DSC04942.JPG
    168.3 KB
  • DSC04943.JPG
    DSC04943.JPG
    260.7 KB
The day come to a close at Rushmere. Annelie and Hentie stayed there for about two years while building there place further up in the hills. We enjoyed it here and visited often. There was peace sitting on the wide farm house stoep looking out over the valley with Ruigtevlei beneath you.

Hentie is a well read and knowledgable person, plays a mean Blues Guitar, and I enjoyed evenings in his company.

Tomorrow we would head for somewhere in the Klein Karoo.

Day 2

I love the Karoo and would travel it time and again on the same roads over and over, now again adding a new one. Lyn not so much. She's Ok with the Klein Karroo but not The Karoo proper. The dryness and wide open space does not appeal to her where as I can sit in it all day long. She loves the forests and mountains... me too, so I try to compromise as I can.

We're heading for Calitzdorp for the day, over Cloetes and Rooiberg passes. I had seen a road from Albertinia to Herbertsdale, suspect it might go through some nice hills and valleys, so that's where we head off to.

Its a glorious sunny Winters day and we leave midmorning to avoid the worst of the chill. This was one of our more memorable trips... a slow ride going nowhere.

Out of Albertinia, before Herbertsdale there's a river with a bridge and we stop to catch a bit of sun. I suspect its the Gouritz.

Attachments

• DSC04944.JPG
    DSC04944.JPG
    219.1 KB
Its a relaxing ride as we cruise up Cloetes pass. The AT purrs happily up and down the mountains... its also enjoying the day out  :biggrin:

I aim to stop again at Martin and Jenny at Dwarsrivier, but its all closed up. Its again a compulsory stop at the causeway on the Gouritz river and we spend some time in the beauty. Those flat rocks is where I had that very welcome brunch with the families on my solo trip.

Attachments

• DSC04945.JPG
    DSC04945.JPG
    249.6 KB
Up and over Rooiberg pass. This is the first time we do somewhat technical. Its a bit tense but goes well. The experience and knowhow is not quite there yet. When it gets tight Lyn remains seated and I stand and ride. We do OK. Its only later, when we do our pillion cousre, that we would realise how easy it can be when you do it right.

At Calitzdorp we book in at The Dorpshuis, and as its still early afternoon, we decide to take a ride to Seweweekspoort for coffee and cookies. There's a particlar spot that we like, and some may recall this is also where I did my stealth camp on the way back from Cape Town, after fetching the 600 Tenere on Bungycools Trip

There's something special about stopping at a nice place in the mountains and having a picnic.

Attachments

• DSC04949.JPG
    DSC04949.JPG
    296.4 KB
  • DSC04948.JPG
    DSC04948.JPG
    287.5 KB
klrick said:
Great stuff. Been waiting for photos of your AT for a while now. What made you sell her as a matter of interest??

It is not something I like to mention and discuss in polite company, as my head hooks out and I start swearing a lot... like FUCK ! that was a stupid thing to do.

I had an itch, which I scratced, and bought a 1200 Adventure.

jupiter said:
At De Vlugt its time for coffee and scones again so we pull in at the Tannie's place. This would become a regular stop for me in future as somehow I lost my taste for Angie's G-Spot.

Ek my self ry ook maklik verby Angie's G- Spot, niks regtig daar wat my trek nie.

Now where was I ? Talking about my AT makes me confused  :dousing:

We had a nice pozzie at the Dorpshuis where I could park my beloved bike right next to me. I enjoy staying in fixed accomodation now and again. The food was good and the quality time spent on trips with my other beloved, excellent.

Just the bloody church bell, chiming Big Ben on the quater hour drove us crazy.

Attachments

• DSC04950.JPG
    DSC04950.JPG
    201.9 KB
  • DSC04952.JPG
    DSC04952.JPG
    170.8 KB
                                                                                      Day 3

We're up a bit earlier and have a long day ahead. On my Solo Trip I missed the poort coming from the Cango valley towards Calitzdorp.
That is some of the prettiest 22km I've ever done. Many of the old cottages have been restored and clearly gets used as holiday accommodation. I would love a place in those mountains.

Attachments

• DSC04954.JPG
    DSC04954.JPG
    212.8 KB
  • DSC04955.JPG
    DSC04955.JPG
    213.7 KB
We meet this family on their donkiekarretjie and stop to talk to them. They're on their way to church. Suppose they don't have an easy life, but I do envy them the simplicity of it.

We always carry sweats and stuff with us, for these chance meetings and Lyn dishes it out to the children. Their innocent gratitude for something so negligible to us ito money value, is heart warming.

Attachments

• DSC04958.JPG
    DSC04958.JPG
    272.2 KB
We turned towards Swartberg pass and the board said its closed. We're adventurers... how bad can it be ? It was bad, not the road itself, but the wind had started blowing and as we got up the mountain it was howling. It was fearsome taking the bike up there, untill we got to the lee side and it was dead calm.

Lyn was not happy. You see, this was her first time in years to go over the pass. The first time I took her over it in a car, when she was still a young girl, she ended up under the dashboard crying. She was apprehensive and tense which did not make it an easy ride.

Some way up I stopped that we may compose ourselves.

Attachments

• DSC04961.JPG
    DSC04961.JPG
    222.3 KB
  • DSC04963.JPG
    DSC04963.JPG
    175.7 KB
Then it was up and over and we could relax, evident by Lyn now happily snapping away with the camera as we rode along. I'll just dump all the pics. Sen many times by many, but who can ever tire of it. The construction of the pass is always something to marvel at.

Attachments

• DSC04964.JPG
    DSC04964.JPG
    287.3 KB
  • DSC04965.JPG
    DSC04965.JPG
    200.9 KB
  • DSC04966.JPG
    DSC04966.JPG
    228.7 KB
  • DSC04967.JPG
    DSC04967.JPG