Just a little trip .. to the Isle of Man TT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Warner

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Hi guys,
My name is Frank Warner, I?m a motorcyclist in Australia. I'm thinking of a trip next year going to the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race ? it is the centenary next year. I'm not much of a race goer but I figure it is a street circuit and most people there will be motorcyclist so it won't be too bad and it is a good excuse for a ride.

My present thoughts are to fly me and the bike to Johannesburg ? ride from there up the west coast of Africa, through Spain to England, then the Isle of Man, and return by riding back to India.

Details ? These change frequently ? with more information and the changes in the civil/political situations... however,Arive January 2007 ...

Joburg ? 1 week of allowance for stuffing around.
Then south through
God Help Me Pass, Bushman's Pass, Molima Pass, Blue Mountain Pass, Cheche Pass, Mokhoabong Pass, Sani pass (snow ? At this time of year?),
Naudesnek, Barkley Pass, Cali Pass, Devil's Bellows neck, Katberg Pass, Olifantskop,

Bavaiaanskoof, Nuwekloof, Perdepoort, Buyspoort, Ghwarriepoort,
Swartberg Pass, Hell, Huisrivier Pass, Seweweekspoort Pass, Rooinek, Kogmanskloop,
Cape L'A, Cape Town ? about 3,000km 2 weeks ? new tyres as the next set is some distance away. Bike service.
Up to Nambia. . Possibly do Fish River Gorge... 1 week 1,500 km

From there up to Angola .. visas available near the boarder? 15 day transit visa? 1,600km 1week

On to Dem. Rep. Of the Congo .. . May go around DRC depending on the situation/s .. fly or boat? I believe DRC has some rule about money having all to be changed within three days of entry .. might try to make it through within the 3 days (400km)? Visas at boarder ? 1 day wait... 3 days 400km

Congo and Gabon ? Congo visa at boarder 1,100 km 5 days
Gabon visa ?

Cameroon 2,000km 10 days ? new lyres? Cameroon visas from home

Nigeria visa .. The problem ..visa from home expires 3 month from date of issue? timing very tight.. 600km. 5 days

Once past Nigeria the time limits are somewhat relaxed. There is about 4 weeks of unallocated time so things can get expanded.

Niger 1,500 km 7 days

Mali 1,700 km 8 days Possibly Timbuktu from the souht and do a river boat to the west .. want to visit Dagon country.

Mauritania 1,400 km 7 days bugger all research here .. sorry tired of reading!

Morocco 2,900 km 14 days
Will do some of Chris Scott's 'Shara overland' routes here .. if not elsewhere... Want to see Fess, and at lest one of Ouadane, Chinguetti, Tichitt ...

From there it is Spain (new tyres and service .. and some additional locks for thief prevention) ... Prynese ... and ferry to Britain .. then on to another ferry to the Isle of Man for a week of racing? 1 June to 9 June Then a week touring ? Wales? Lakes? What ever .. until the Horizons Unlimited meeting

The rest ? well again I don't want to fly all the way back home so presently the plan is to ride through to India (Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey (more tyres, servicing), Iran (if every thing is reasonable then), Pakistan, India, Nepal, India, Bhutan, India and back home from there....

Ok ? that is the rough idea.. what I'm after is scenary. I've listed the UNs things of significance area things to get to if possible. Good dirt roads are a bonus .. defiantly not autobahns .. unless there is no alternative. The average distance is about 200 km per day .. than has to include stops of all kinds .. and is an average, so those 60 km days will have to be made up for by close to 400 km days ... it should all balance out ? So far there are 3 of us ? me on the K75G/S, a DR650 and a BM R100GS (HPN mods). Remember we'll be carrying goods and chattels for the trip .. months long .. not some weekend away .. and we need to finish intact so as to get to the TT ...

So some ideas for the south of Africa would be appreciated .. I have posted an initial thing over on Advrider, done some more reading and some of the trip reports here.

And some questions ?
Are Angola visas for say 15 day multiple entry (if we do a fly/boat around DRC then maybe 2 entries) fairly easily available in Oshakati (Nambia)?
May be possible to boat from Angola (from ? Launda?) to Point-Noire Congo? How frequently does it leave ? And where from?

I'd like to spend longer on the way up ? buy the Nigerian visa limit the time. Any one with ideas to free up the Nigeria restriction?

Very Detailed (probably too much ? things like this will change)
Joburg ? south on R57 to Kesterr, R712, R711 to Founiesburg, R26 to Ladybrant, N8 to Maseru (Lesotho),
]A3 to Mukhotlong {God Help Me Pass}, A14 to Sani Pass, R261 to Underberg (South Africa),
R? To R617 to Kokstad, R56 to ?, R? To R58 to R393 to Queenstown,
R67 to R351 to R67 to Fort Beaufort, R63 to N10 to Cookhouse to N10 to ? To R335 to R336 to R75 to N2 to ? To R331to R332 (Baviaanskloop) to R?
To R341 to Derust to N12 to R407
to R328 (Swartburg Pass) to R? (Hell) and return to
R328 to Oudtshuorn to R62 to R? To R323 to R62 to N2 to Swellendam
continue on N2 to R319 to St A Point {southern most point in Africa}
R? to R326 to R43 to R44 and on into Capetown.

Then Wellington R303 to N7 to Clanwilliam to R364 to R27 to Vanrhynsdrop
N7 to B1 (Nambia) ? To Fish River to ? To ? To C12 to Seeham
B4 to Keetmanshoop B1 to Windhoek.
B1 to Lubango (Angola) to
Huambo to

N'Dalatando, Lucala, Negage

to DRC
Ngidinga, Kisantu N1 to Mbanza-Ngungu N12 to Mindouli (Congo) N1 to Loubomo N3 to

Ndende (Cameroon?) 1 to
Lambarene 2 to Mitzic to Oyem N2 to Yaounde N3 to Douala N5 to Bafoussam N6 to
Kaladi N1 to Maroua
to A4 Maiduguri (Nigeria)
May go south of A3 due to civil strife
Kano A9 to
(Niger)
Bimi Nkonni, Dosso Niamey,

(Mali) Labbozanga
Korogoussou, Douentza, {dagpn country, Ouro Nguerou, Timbuctou

Nema (Maritania) N2 to
Kitta N3 to Aleg N3 to Nouakchott N1 to
(Morocco)
Dakhla P14, Agadir P14, Marrakech P31, Ouarzazate P31, Zagora M5 ?
Erfoud P21, Midelt P20, Fes P20, Ouezzane,
Ceuta (Spain) Ferry

Visas ? country by country as we go
South Africa ? on entry ? 90 days
Leoosto ? none required
Nambia ? none
Angola ? 15 day transit visa near boarder
DRC ? on border .. if we go that way
Gabon ? on border ?
Congo ? on border
Cameroon ? from Sydney
Nigeria ? from Canberra ? get this one last as it expires 3 months after getting it
Niger ? on boarder?
Mali ? on boarder?
Maritania ? on boarder
Morroco ? none required
Spain ? on boarder 90 days

Fine from there through to
Hungary?
Romania
Bulgaria
Turkey ? on boarder
Iran ? in Ankra ..
Pakistan ? in Ankra?