Khomas surprise - Sunday morning ride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayneh

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BSA (all models)
Thought I'd go visit the Khomas Hockland and checkout some of the roads marked on the GPS. Ended up learning some very important facts... 1. The GPS is not always right  :deal: (specially when navigating the less travelled roads); 2. A innocent looking straight line on the map is often anything but  >:D ; and 3. The Namib roads are great for losening bolts... And stress induced knots.  :mwink:

Left home at 8.30am... pretty late by Cape Town standards (Andy660 & I were usually rocking by 7am most Sundays), but Windhoek is much slower to roll out the town roads and wake up the street robots - I stopped at the intersection of Independence Street (the main road through the city center) and for the three minutes before the robot changed there wasn't a sign of a car from ether direction.  :eek:  ;D
I had plotted a short (for Namibian) route on the GPS from Windhoek along the C26, onto an interleading trail towards the D1983, hook up with the D1412, and back on the C28. About 220km of major and mid-type dirt roads... And roughly 20km tar.
7km out of Windhoek the C26 (heading towards Solitaire or Walvis Bay) becomes a dirt highway. One could probably fit 4 lanes of cars and the surface is impressively smooth.
DSC02640.jpg

A nice looking mountain range follows the road on the right.
DSC02639.jpg

Passed the D1982 heading further south east.
DSC02641.jpg

These roads stretch towards the furthest horizon.
DSC02642.jpg

The only other vehicle I saw on the C26 (there were more Baboons & Warthogs than people along the entire trip... Isn't that amazing)
DSC02643.jpg

Eventually the GPS said turn right now... Huh, but that's surely a simple farm trail?!?  ???  ::)
DSC02645.jpg

But hey, if the GPS says it's a road then it's gotta be. Right!
DSC02644.jpg

Three farm gates in just 5 km... This is gonna take a little time (specially since my side stand was missing-in-action).
DSC02646.jpg

I eventually bumped into the local farmer - well, almost. This interesting character came flying around a corner in a old MK2 Landrover (with no roof or doors) and about ten small dogs hanging onto different parts of the cab and rear storage section, narrowly missing me and came to rest in a cloud of dust. Fred bounded out of the dust and came straight at me with his pack of hounds diving of the Landrover behind him. A huge grin appeared on his weathered, tanned face and Fred greeted me like I was his long-lost son returning from the war  ;D. After much talk and some laughter, I was updated with the reality that the trail simply lead to his farm and hadn't served as a public road since 1963.  ::)
O well. Back through the farm gates and retraced my steps back to the D1982.
Noticed the change in the make-up of the dirt road.
DSC02658.jpg

The Khomas hills to my right.
DSC02659.jpg

Right onto the D1412... This road looked like nothing that interesting on the map. Just 34km of dirt in order to connect into the C28 back to Windhoek. Eeish... Was I totally wrong. This was 34km of mind-blowing dirt heavon.
DSC02661.jpg

The road twists through and over a huge belt of hills.
DSC02662.jpg

Average speed of about 30km/hour due to the hundreds of steel descents & climbs, with numerous hairpins (usually directly after cresting a raise).
DSC02663.jpg

One of the dry river beds... this one was very wide.
DSC02664.jpg

A large troop of baboons were very upset with my arrival... Tried catching a phot of them up they seemed to be way too quick.
DSC02665.jpg

And connected with the C28.
DSC02666.jpg

This road is even better than the C26. Surely the C28 is good enough to rollerscate.
DSC02667.jpg

Noticed this interesting looking house on a hill about 40km out of Windhoek. The whole top section is made of metal and has impressive slotted windows.
DSC02668.jpg

Found out later it was the Von Fancois Fort.

4 hours of great fun.

:thumleft:

Eish! Khomas Hochland.

A must do when one is in the area. 8)

Next time do the Gamsberg Pass and post pics please?  :deal:

And then Spreetshoogte?

hehe. I must get down there and go do those passes myself. :biggrin:

Greetings, Wayne.  Lekker riding almost anywhere in Namibia, with more miles of the best gravel roads of any place there is.  Thanks. 

One day I'll get back there ....

Hi Wayne there are some super rides in and around Windhoek , is that not the Liebig haus? Thank you for sharing , hoping to get up there in September ?? :thumleft:

JourneyMan said:
Eish! Khomas Hochland.

A must do when one is in the area. 8)

Next time do the Gamsberg Pass and post pics please?  :deal:

And then Spreetshoogte?

hehe. I must get down there and go do those passes myself. :biggrin:

Did those passes in March this year and they are awesome !

Nice Wayneh,ons praat sommer van die spookhuis. Khomas is op sy mooiste in April. Thanks vir die fotos.

Thanks for sharing Wayne. I see on my map your D1983 is D1982. Nowhere is there a D1983 on my map. I would like to do the D1412 though. That whole area is full of hills. Any gates on the D1412?

chrisL said:
Thanks for sharing Wayne. I see on my map your D1983 is D1982. Nowhere is there a D1983 on my map. I would like to do the D1412 though. That whole area is full of hills. Any gates on the D1412?

Hi Chris. Yep, ya right there... it is the D1982  ;) 
The D1412 has about five-six gates along its 34km. As you get closer to connecting with the C28, the farm boundries feature cattle-grides across the road (soooooo much better).
Also... what is great about the D1412, was the lack of a fence on ether side of the road - makes the trail feel like it simply carves its way through virgin bushveld.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Sjoe WayneH the Khomas Hochland is very different from last year on the Desert run.....very dry now

It was a feast on the eyes in April last year ...must say that brings back some pleasant memories..

Nice riding out there..... you have to admit.... :thumleft:

Nice one wayneh. Do me a favour ang go explore these roads. They're just north of Windhoek. You can get to them either by following Robert Mugabe Ave and then take the gravel road towards Brakwater (see map) or you can follow Omuramba Weg and then take a left to follow the river shortly after you've hit the gravel. They've held the 4x4 Vasbyt Challenge (I think) in this area and there are loads of single track roads all over the place - should be ideal for that KTM. I've attached some screen shots from Google and a pic from our shakedown run in the area just before our Kaoko trip. The second pic should show some roads just to the north of the first pic. Be careful of that grey patch at the top of the second pic. In places it's a fine powder which gets everywhere and it can hide some nasty rocks and tracks. Hope it helps.

Edit: Directions amended and map added

Attachments

• Windhoek1.JPG
    Windhoek1.JPG
    79.5 KB
  • Windhoek2.JPG
    Windhoek2.JPG
    46.4 KB
  • DSC01543.JPG
    DSC01543.JPG
    68.5 KB
  • Windhoek Kaart 1.JPG