Killarney Track Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
OK, Freak decided to blow a little heat into the cold wintery dogs by organising a Track Day. https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=33603.0

Have you heard of such a thing as a Track Day for Duelies ?  :imaposer:

Archangel decided that this had to be attended and turned my rubber arm (with very little opposition I might add.) Reading all the do’s and don’t’s, had me a little worried.
I had to rip off the old knobbly from the front (no knobblies allowed) and pitched at Killarney at 13h00 for registration.

Attachments

• 01SomeDogs.JPG
    01SomeDogs.JPG
    33.8 KB
After registration all bikes were ‘carefully’ scrutinized by Freak and we were all preached to about track safety.

Then it was time to "Start your Engines"  yeeehaaa

Attachments

• 02Scrutineering.JPG
    02Scrutineering.JPG
    43 KB
  • 03StartYourEngines.JPG
    03StartYourEngines.JPG
    35.7 KB
We were split into two groups, the "Maniacs" and the "Noobs"

The Maniacs sped off, making a terrible noise and scaring the wits out of the Noobs ....

Eventually they were called in and the Noobs could take to the track (mostly with shaking legs .....)

Although there was a strict "No Overtaking" rule for the Noobs, Archangel just could not let a K1200 stay in front of him   :pot:

Attachments

• 04No Overtaking.JPG
    04No Overtaking.JPG
    29 KB
Pumba the pig started off nicely at a leisurely pace, but eventually got caught up in the excitement and started flying ......  :ricky:

Attachments

• 05Flying Pig.JPG
    05Flying Pig.JPG
    28.5 KB
There was about 4 half hour sessions for each group. In the last session for the Noobs, a Black Kawasaki Superbike went down in the frist corner and the session had to be stopped. The medical staff was there on the spot and initial reports were that the rider was OK and the bike had minimal damage.

I really have to thank Freak for this initiative !! :thumleft:  The day was well organised, I had one helluva lot of fun, and I hope NEVER to do this again.  >:D  Next time I might not be so lucky !!!

Lastly, many thanks to my pitcrew (the wife) who supported the day with saamies and took all the pics  :thumleft:

Attachments

• 06Pitlane.JPG
    06Pitlane.JPG
    32.5 KB
Did you see those maniacs on the quad and blue yamaha on the side of the track?

it sounds like you guys had a great time. I would like to take the 800 on a track day before I fit DS tyres

Sheesh! What a rush! Best R250 spent in a long time. Got no pics, but i believe Briv has a few... Also Stev0's gf, Kirs10 (?) has lots... Thanks to Freak for the effort with organizing the track time!

You lucky bas.....ds  ;D

so how was it, tell us more.

and more pics please

Bus said:
Sheesh! What a rush! Best R250 spent in a long time. Got no pics, but i believe Briv has a few... Also Stev0's gf, Kirs10 (?) has lots... Thanks to Freak for the effort!
[/quote
Better than pics Bus,Here is a video and your up !You had a good race with that 1200 , overtaking him in the corners , then he you on the straights.

And DanTheMan  , you handle that 1200GS like a pro , was good waching you ride

Wooohooo! What a day!

My laptimes (compliments of our official time keeper aka Mom) was in the 1:55 region. Anyone else got some times? I have no idea where I slotted in? Slow? Fast?

I've seldom heard a big boxer motor in full song like that before.  What a sound!  Respect!  Hats off to you guys!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

This is not a deliberate stir, but ....
The biggest disappointment for me was the complete absence on the ReadyToRace crowd.  This mystified me as I thought that's why they bought the things.  I only saw 2 near the track - The new RC8 which was lent out to someone and it promptly disappeared before anyone could look at it and a little black RC4 motard thingie which looked wicked but I don't remember seeing it on the track.

Maybe the KTMs were just so fast I missed them? 

This is a pity, because I'd just been emphatically told that I needed to be separated from my Suzuki and put on a "proper bike" (orange, that is).

Not this week, uncle.

EtienneNXR said:
Did you see those maniacs on the quad and blue yamaha on the side of the track?

Didn't I see a little red Honda with a "Y" registration out there, too?

Archangel said:
Wooohooo! What a day!

My laptimes (compliments of our official time keeper aka Mom) was in the 1:55 region. Anyone else got some times? I have no idea where I slotted in? Slow? Fast?

I timed my last session, but managed to bugger it up by pressing the wrong "lap" button on the dash. So I only got my first lap.

And it was 1:37  >:D

My very last lap, I let a 800 BMW race bike come past and I chased him to copy his lines...

Think I got my time down a bit, was much smoother...

:ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

I had a lekker time yesterday...

we quickly moved up from beginner to the medium/fast  class, but found out that some of the guys can really ride!

I would like to thank Marius - Biketique for loaning me the BOXERCUP 1100S - a nice bike for a track novice.

Next time hopefully The WR450F and the DRZ motard of BUS can take on those fully prepped bikes.

Btw BUS overtaking that race bike in the one bend was awesome!

KTM READY TO RACE
BMW READY TO RIDE

My Steed for the day - BMW BOXERCUP 1100S - Forsale - Call Biketique
P1180905Medium.jpg

Check my WD STICKER BITCHerzzz
P1180969Medium.jpg

BUS in DARTHVADER mode...
P1190041Medium.jpg

Mellow -- entering the pits
P1190056Medium.jpg

The BMW and I gooing about 200kph down the straight...
P1190036Medium.jpg

Bus
P1190070Medium.jpg

Mellow
P1190003Medium.jpg

looks like fun, next time I will bring the phatgirl :D