Kudu Encounter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FAAARK!

Sorry to hear boet....hope you heal fast. 7 screws....you beat my leg  :biggrin:

I can relate....went between two beeg ones at 100 km/h on a white farm road 30 years ago....bastards run TOWARDS noise it seems  :laughing4:

Whethefakawe said:
FAAARK!

Sorry to hear boet....hope you heal fast. 7 screws....you beat my leg  :biggrin:

I can relate....went between two beeg ones at 100 km/h on a white farm road 30 years ago....bastards run TOWARDS noise it seems  :laughing4:

One thing is true for sure Whethefakawe..................... 30 years ago, comparing numbers of screws didn't refer to orthopaedic issues!!

Sjoe! As die kudu my nie gekry het nie, sou die hartaanval my gekry het...

Sterk mooi aan DB!

Hey DB,
Now that's some internal hardware to be proud of. I hope you heal soon. Be patient with the muscle recovery after the cast comes off. It is worth putting some discipline into recovery exercises and to take it SLOOWLY.

I reckon the "what if's" in you head is part of a good post traumatic recovery. I had something similar after a (much lighter) crash. Nonetheless, I think there's something about a 'violent' incident that requires some recovery in the head . . .

I recorded some of my experience here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=73328.0

Thanks to all who expressed sympathy. I certainly appreciate it as I'm feeling rather sorry for myself. Quite a bit of pain in the arm and a longish rehab process ahead. I'm also not too keen to even think of riding right now.

That's me after receiving a handy bit of bush first aid carried out by Stephan - Baie dankie ou maat!!

1003139-a-L.jpg

Bike being loaded to be taken home. Note the missing right hand mirror

1003137-a-L.jpg

DB so was it the Kudu's head or horns that broke your arm?

chrisL said:
DB so was it the Kudu's head or horns that broke your arm?

It was the head. Cow, without horns.

We were travelling at right angles to each other; me along the road, it across the road. One split second earlier and we would have missed each other completely; one split second later, it would have been an almighty collision...............

I have kudo whistles on my bike .... do they work ... so far ... not sure I would be around to tell if they fail  ::)
In some US and Canadian States they are standard on state vehicles for elk etc.

BiG DoM said:
I have kudo whistles on my bike .... do they work ... so far ... not sure I would be around to tell if they fail  ::)

Kudu whistles? Sounds interesting. How does it look/work?

Marnus said:
BiG DoM said:

Kudu whistles? Sounds interesting. How does it look/work?

You get varying qualities - abroad you tend to get better ones as the market is more decerning.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.1 KB
  • images4.jpg
    images4.jpg
    4.7 KB
  • images3.jpg
    images3.jpg
    11.5 KB
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    8.7 KB
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn

Scientific studies of these devices have indicated that they do not in fact reduce collisions.

Op my kransgat trip het ek net anderkant Kimberley gestop hierso. Dewald1 het my gelukkig gewaarsku dit is kudu wereld. Gelukkig.
Dom stadsjapie wat ek is gedog kudus kom net in ooskaap voor. So n 100m af in die pad stap groot kudu toe doodrustig oor die pad.
Kon nie my kamera vinnig genoeg uitkry nie en toe maar hierdie foto geneem. Mens het maar bietjie hulp van Bo ook nodig op die langpad.

Attachments

• 12080204.jpg
    12080204.jpg
    197.3 KB
Eish DB! glad you're ok ish. After hitting a little duiker and moering off (he got stuck in the front wheel), I tend to ride very cautiously on roads with bush on the sides. Generally don't go faster than 70 or 80 kph. Even so... at that speed I recon if the kudu klapped you on the head or chest, you would have been a lot more eina! Get better soon bru! :thumleft:

Yoh yoh yoh!!!!
Sterkte met die herstel!  :thumleft:

Farken scary!  Sterkte met die herstelproses.

heti said:
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn

Scientific studies of these devices have indicated that they do not in fact reduce collisions.

The problem with Wiki like so much of the net is that people take it as gospel truth ... I am happy to continue my own reserach for the couple of bucks it costs. The jury is out on this one and like much research there is not always concenus:

https://www.bioacoustics.uconn.edu/reports/ARLOManuscript326%20FINAL.pdf

Had a chance to pick up my stuff that was taken back to Windhoek together with the bike. Was very keen to check out the track to see where exactly the hit took place.

Can confirm the "scene of the crime" was 56 km west of Windhoek on the C 26, towards Us Pass. Speed at impact was 121 km/h.

Route-to-Kudu-2-Sep-2012-L.jpg

Kudu whistles sound like a wonderful idea. I see there's a debate on the go about whether they work or not. I would certainly welcome more information

I know lots of people have them on cars/bakkies in Namibia and some of the guys
trucking with me there had them on BUT we were all still very careful at night at certain spots on
the B1.
I still remember many of them and you could bet money on it that they would be there.
Between Grunau and Keetmans at the farm Dassiefontein.
Just outside Kalkrand on the way to Marienthal.
Between Okahandja and Wilhelmstal.
At the farm Sukses between Okahandja en Otjiwarongo. Also Gemsbok here many a time.
Between Okahandja and Otavi in the dryseason.