KZN - Lilani Hot Springs overnighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I heard, although not confirmed, that the Weather God, his cousin the Mudmonster, the South African Weather Bureau, Eskom and a few dodgy plumbing fittings had a meeting to determine how to totally mess up our overnight trip to Lilani Hot Springs.

Did they succeed? No way! We’re WDs and not that easily intimidated when there are roads to be ridden and a good time to be had.

I had been watching the ever-changing and generally confusing forecasts for a fortnight, and I must admit that there were times when I thought that the weekend may be a washout, and it did keep us to wet tar on the way home today, but certainly the road up on Saturday more than made up for the abandonment of our gravel plans today.

So, the compulsory inventory. From BMW just one representative , BabyBeemer’s 650, from KTM Chicco’s 990 and goingnowherequickly’s 640.  Yamaha had five, Three 660Z’s – MadDog, Ray. (not sure if he has a forum name) and mine, Two lovely airbreathing XT’s with OffSide and Mrs WildSide, and one KLR with donovanpaton.  Last but not least was the humungous Aprilia Caponard with CustomCRV with his son on the back.

In addition we had a great support team. Tagging along at the back with all our beer and gear was MadDog’s better half in the Fortuner and Mrs’s babyBeemer and Chicco(lina). Already there was donovan’s buddy (Cousin?) Ettienne and Mrs donovanpaton and some cute little people.

Quite an entourage – great to have you all along.

So what was that about Eskom and dodgy plumbing fittings? We made it up in warm sunshine, but when we were in hippo mode in the hot water the first of a number of storms hit us, and a quite-violent one during the night took the whole valley’s power out, and somehow seemed to damage the place’s water supply. Not too serious a problem for the handymen among us who managed to get an old cadac stove going for our morning tea and coffee.
Not too much a problem for us, and no one seemed too concerned.

Certainly from my side a great trip – thanks to all !! So when and where we going next ?  ;D

Some picks from my helmet and pocket cameras.

The road up. We rode as a pack most of the way, but Chicco took some of the braver members on a few technical detours. 

20110123Lilani_000.jpg

20110123Lilani_001.jpg

On a bridge over the Movoti. I think Chicco and Ray were tempted to try a river crossing under the bridge, but decided against it.

20110123Lilani_002.jpg

20110123Lilani_003.jpg

20110123Lilani_004.jpg

20110123Lilani_005.jpg

20110123Lilani_006.jpg

Some rocky bits – not too bad.

20110123Lilani_007.jpg

20110123Lilani_008.jpg

20110123Lilani_009.jpg

We took a sidetrack down to the Mvoti for a few picks. I was tempted to ride through the water for a few picks, but noticed a bit of green algae in the water. Raymond decided to try it.

20110123Lilani_010.jpg

Oops – wheels in all directions on the snotty stuff and down he went.

20110123Lilani_011.jpg

MadDog and I closed in to help him, but it was tough going as our boots had no grip on the snot at all.

20110123Lilani_012.jpg

An interesting perspective on a Tenere

20110123Lilani_013.jpg

He had to walk it out.

20110123Lilani_014.jpg

20110123Lilani_015.jpg

Our great backup team.

20110123Lilani_016.jpg

Rock-Bikes

20110123Lilani_017.jpg

The very beautiful Lilani valley contour road.

20110123Lilani_018.jpg

Raymond.

20110123Lilani_019.jpg
\

Goingnowherequickly and donovanpaton

20110123Lilani_020.jpg

BabyBeemer

20110123Lilani_021.jpg

OffSide and WildSide

20110123Lilani_022.jpg

WildSide

20110123Lilani_023.jpg

CustomCRV and son on the Caponard.

20110123Lilani_024.jpg

MadDog

20110123Lilani_025.jpg

A small waterfall we hardly noticed on the way in was flowing freely after the night rains.

20110123Lilani_026.jpg

20110123Lilani_027.jpg

Out of the valley and on the tar.

20110123Lilani_028.jpg

The route we took.

I have cut out the brunch-trip to Greytown and the return trip on the wet R74

RouteMap-4.jpg

Track attached - Filtered and cleaned.

Attachments

• PostTripCleanedFiltered.gpx
    58.4 KB
Thanks to Gunda for organising this trip, the riding was fantastic and the destination was magnificent. I took a few pics on the way up and of the humble accomodation etc.

I look forward to the next adventure with the dogs, sorry for holding you all up, the Fortuner was my responsibility driving at the rear and the missus has zero offroad experience so the going was slow but uneventful.

Our arrival at Salt Rock caravan park
Arrival.jpg

My baby clean and ready for the ride ahead
BlackBeauty.jpg

All the bikes posing for a few photos
Somewhere.jpg

TheBikes.jpg

The locals liked to slide across the water like Ray's bike but they managed to stay upright ;)
Sliding.jpg

Some scenery
MoreViews.jpg

My baby not quite so clean anymore
NotSoClean.jpg

More scenery
Views.jpg

Our Accommodation
Exterior.jpg

A disposable picnic braai provided our nourishment for the evening
Braai.jpg

After dinner, we decided to sneak up to the hot pools for a quick swim, the water was fantastic after the violent storm had passed
Steam.jpg

HotSpring.jpg

The interior of our Rondawel, much larger than it looks from the outside
Room.jpg

A spider spinning version 2.0 of the world wide web
Web.jpg

After the storm I quickly snapped a couple of pics of some of the beautiful flowers around our rondawel
Flower.jpg

Agapanthus.jpg

I would go back there in a heartbeat, Lilani is a hidden gem and a wonderful place to unwind and relax as well as a magical place to ride a D/S bike.

Thanks to all who made it a weekend to remember.

So what you guys doing next weekend?

Lilani dev needs some more exploration.

1) The heat before the storm, I was kak out for not finding a bigger tree.
2) The valley
3) Raymond was firts into the water...
4) the rest followed soon
5) Sunday morning, no water, no power.....

Attachments

• IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    136.4 KB
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    127.1 KB
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    152.9 KB
  • IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    160.1 KB
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    120.7 KB
Looks like you had alot of fun!  :thumleft:

Great RR and great pics too!

Thanks Guys & Girls
Great to meet some new dogs & see some Ive already met again....
Thanks to Gunda for plotting a super route & setting the whole thing up..
Definitely need to get back up there again...
Will try post a few pics- managed to get some onto photobucket- now just to transfer them over...
(theres a thread on this I must re-read)
Looking forward to another ride soon 

Thanks to Gunda for organising, Chicco for guiding and Madodg and Mrs maddog for the backup. Was great making new friends and reconnecting with some we had met before. Will post some picks when sorted.

1) our sleeping quarters
2) Wildside and Offside
3) Me and Gunda
4) Local 4 x 4
5) Green green grass of Home

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    98.4 KB
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    96.1 KB
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    100.5 KB
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    168.3 KB
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    149.1 KB
thanks guys, i had fun. looking forward to the next one, i see on google earth there is a short cut strait over the mountain :biggrin: when we going?

donovan paton said:
thanks guys, i had fun. looking forward to the next one, i see on google earth there is a short cut strait over the mountain :biggrin: when we going?

done it before, was hectic in dry weather, dont wanna do it in the rain.....the plan was to explore it sat afternoon but we ran out of time.....

Attachments

• lilanicross1.jpg
    lilanicross1.jpg
    191.3 KB
  • lilanicross2.jpg
    lilanicross2.jpg
    219.8 KB
  • valley.jpg
    valley.jpg
    94.4 KB
Thanks for the RR. Next time....

Looks very lekker guys. Sorry I missed it. Thanks for the RR.

Chicco, that hill you came down looks ugly with the long grass, respect. :thumleft:

MadDog said:
. . . .
I look forward to the next adventure with the dogs, sorry for holding you all up, the Fortuner was my responsibility driving at the rear and the missus has zero offroad experience so the going was slow but uneventful.

I would go back there in a heartbeat, Lilani is a hidden gem and a wonderful place to unwind and relax as well as a magical place to ride a D/S bike.

Thanks to all who made it a weekend to remember.

My pleasure, and it was certainly no issue with speed of the backup - me in a hurry ?

And it was really nice to have the ladies and fandamilies along. I think it is much nicer than just a group of guys misbehaving and drinking too much !

Yup. We must do it again - maybe in winter when it cools and dries a bit. Think cold air, warm water, fires and ghluwein.

Thanks for the great pics !

chicco said:
So what you guys doing next weekend?

Lilani dev needs some more exploration.

1) The heat before the storm, I was kak out for not finding a bigger tree.
. . . .

Yup - definitely more exploring, and yes - your tree choice was unsuitable for the big pack !  :mad:  ;D  ;D

LeonDude said:
Nice one as always GG!  :thumleft:

Thanx Leon - about time you came down to visit !

goingnowherequickly said:
. . . .
Thanks to Gunda for plotting a super route & setting the whole thing up..
Definitely need to get back up there again...
. . . .

Thanks for coming along J. - yes another trip definately  :thumleft:

BabyBeemer said:
Thanks to Gunda for organising, Chicco for guiding and Madodg and Mrs maddog for the backup. . . . . .

Lekka to have Mr & Mrs along.

And a special thanks to the 650Gs for not skipping a beat.  :pot:

And see what I mean - we organize backup and trailers and they not needed. If they had not been there I am sure we would have needed them !

The Badger said:
Looks very lekker guys. Sorry I missed it. Thanks for the RR.

. . . . 

next time okay ??    :ricky:

Thanks for the ride Gunda, excelent!

Some valley pics, the gate and that waterfall.....

Cheers,
CRV

Attachments

• IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    101.1 KB
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    88 KB
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    104.3 KB
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    112 KB
  • IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    122.1 KB
Thanks for the RR. Looks like great area to ride.

chicco said:
done it before, was hectic in dry weather, dont wanna do it in the rain.....the plan was to explore it sat afternoon but we ran out of time.....

Chicco ... you just love hardship don't you

The first two pics remind me of three fences at de wilt

That last one reminds me of the roof of africa ... pure insanity