KZN - Teneres in the Mist - Katooms and Beemers in their garages.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Every ride I have ever been on, no matter how bad the weather, and no matter what mishaps came along to try to spoil it, will leave one or two memories that made it worth it.

Yesterday’s memories were riding the open grassland to the edge of the Msilili gorge, and watching the surreal view of mist and light drizzle swirling about below us. Occasionally the mist would open up enough for us to see the gorge below us, and I was hoping for a gap to make the falls visible to MadDog and our cameras, but unfortunately that never happened.  

But it was great being out there anyway, and big thanks to MadDog for getting very wet in the name of riding and for keeping me company.

The objective of the day was to get a few additional shots for an “under construction” register I am putting together for a “KZN waterfall register” for this forum. The “planning” thread indicated that we would have a pack of five bikes but these woosies who ride KTMs and BMWs took one look at the rainy weather and went back to bed leaving the party just MadDog and myself on colour un-coordinated pair of Teneres.

Unfortunately the waterfall photography was not that successful. We took very wet tar through the Mgeni valley and then up towards Bruin’s Hill, and then a Km or so of muddy side roads before riding the open grass to the gorge.  I must admit my E07s did better in the mud than I expected, but the general  rule of the valley is that mud high up is not as slippery as mud down in the valleys, and neither of us suffered any side stand incidents or tumbles.

But there is good news. We stopped and chatted to helpful group of locals and a guy told us that it is possible to follow paths to the base of the Msilili falls. He mentioned that there is a dam (I suspect natural pool) where he used to go and play as a kid. He said it is quite a lot of walking and intimated that I may struggle as I am a “madala”, but he said it is doable if you give yourself time.

So this is advanced warning that I intend to try one day and will be looking for a team to join me with walking shoes and some spare time.

But, a couple of pics to show we were really out there.

Bikes in the mist.

20110327NagleArea_00.jpg

20110327NagleArea_01.jpg

A nice view of the falls mist.

20110327NagleArea_02.jpg

20110327NagleArea_03.jpg

Dunno what these flowers are, but they sure are pretty when wet.

20110327NagleArea_04.jpg

There were hundreds of these spider webs in the grass. I am sure they would have been invisible without the mist.

20110327NagleArea_05.jpg

A small gap in the mist.

20110327NagleArea_06.jpg

Never mind the weather....... as long as we ride together.... :thumleft:

Nice one GG and Mad Dog.

Thanks GG for a great ride as usual, didn't mind the rain at all and enjoyed the extra challenge of wet sand/mud/gravel and grass :)

Count me in for the follow up ride, those falls sounded fantastic through the mist, i could only imagine how fantastic they must look.

Here are my few pics I managed to snap without getting the camera too wet..

5568059567_f02b259de3_z.jpg

5568648842_99194d3421_z.jpg

5568649618_796ec435af_z.jpg