Land of the Silver Mist - Magoebaskloof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cane Rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
Every 3 months or so, when I have to opportunity to visit civilization, I make a point of making good use of the time, by spending as much time with the two most important things in my life.. My wife and my bike. Fortunately for me, the missus is very keen on biking so there is never any argument about the mode of transport for a breakaway.

The planning normally takes place while I’m here in Angola and then ma has to run around and organize the accommodation and whatever else that needs to be organized for the trip. We try and do a different area every time and this time Limpopo was on the hit-list and more specifically the Haenertsburg/Magoebaskloof area (Also called the “Land of the Silver Mist”). I was last in that area when I was still in primary school.

So we decided to do it over the Easter weekend. Most people thought we were crazy going to that part of the woods at the same time as Zionist meeting at Moria.

We left the Tuesday before the Easter Weekend and ma took the cage with the daughter up to VDBP. She was going to visit grandma while we were taking a break and the cage would stay there.

We left the Thursday morning for Haenertsburg and I opted to take the road over Groblersdal, Marble Hall and Roetan. At the Middleburg tollgate we saw some DS riders. One TA and one AT and also a guy on a GS. All greeted and I wondered if they were dogs. We did not stop to chat, so I will probably never know.

First stop was Groblersdal where a guy came up to us and warned us against taking the road that went straight to Marble Hall.

Apparently there were about 3 sections where they were working on the road and we would spend about 20 – 30 minutes waiting at each. He suggested a detour, which we took.

The road was good and we travelled well.

Somewhere between Marble Hall and Roetan.

We reached Haenertsburg in the afternoon and booked in to the Pennefather.

These cottages resemble the original miner’s cottages that were used during the gold rush in the area. Each one is named after a person that played an important roll in the history of Haenertsburg. They are not cheap, but at least they are neat and comfortable.

Haenerstburg is a small village and I would dare say that there are a lot of people that does not even know about its existence. If you don’t know about it, you would drive by without even knowing it was there. It is however one of those places, much like Clarens where everybody knows everybody and nothing is a secret. The people are extra friendly.

The weird thing about Haenertsburg is the cemetery..........

The people in Haenertsburg love their cemetery. They say it is the friendliest cemetery in the country. The locals often take a bottle of wine and glasses and then go to the cemetery to relax. They also have picnics there quite often.

To be quite honest, I could understand why, after a visit to the place. It is right on top of the mountain and one has the most fantastic views from up there.

It is also neat as a pin with lots of very old graves. Some are so old you can no longer make out the writing on the headstones.

There are “Restaurants” in the village. The Iron Crown Pub & Grill which also caters for biker’s breakfasts and the Red Plate Restaurant. They even do cooking classes..............

The locals recon the owner of the latter is the best chef in the country. I would not really go that far, but it is quite pleasant to sit on the deck and watch the locals go about their business.

More to follow.....................

That little town were in the latest WEG magazine. Looks like one can stay for a couple of days and just relax.

Looks Good.
Tell me, Cane Rat, working in Angola, are you in Construction?.
I am. Currently in Madagascar and Maaaaaybe Mozambique next month. Hopefully, as this contract is finito.

Ian said:
Looks Good.
Tell me, Cane Rat, working in Angola, are you in Construction?.
I am. Currently in Madagascar and Maaaaaybe Mozambique next month. Hopefully, as this contract is finito.

Nope, I'm in Power generation, but there is a hell of a lot of construction going on here. Mostly Chinese and Brazilian companies though.

Wynand

Thanks for the comments. I'll try and get this on as and when my internet connection allows me. Its not very reliable and I battle to get the photos uploaded, but here goes.

On day 2 (Friday) we headed out to Duiwelskloof (Modjadji’s kloof) via the Magoebaskloof pass. This is an awesome piece of road with nice twisties.

Stopped at The Wheelbarrow for breakfast. Interesting place. It started of a simple farm stall many, many years ago and has grown into this. (Restaurant, Deli, Plaas winkel, Nursery etc). Had the best Peri-Peri chicken livers ever at this place.

Also stopped at the Magoebaskloof dam for a piccie.

Duiwelskloof is not very spectacular, well at least not from what I can remember from 40 odd years back, but ja, things had changed a lot since 1994…….

On Saturday, we headed out to Louis Trichardt (Makhado) via Pietersburg (Polokwane) and the N1. I did not really stop for photos as I was planning to do so on the return, but then we took the R36 back and missed out on quite a few nice photo opportunities. Only snapped this one in the ride,

and these on the way back.

dsc00007apz.jpg

dsc00014edited.jpg

We went via Tzaneen and the Georges valley road and turned of at the Ebenezer dam for a photo there.

More later..................

Cane Rat said:

Where is that pic taken, looks like the section of river on my Farm, just off the georges valley road, about 3-4km before the ebenezer dam wall.

Mike

Hi Mike,

No I don't think it was there because, when we travelled that road, we only stopped at the dam. This was on the road from Duiwelskloof to Tzaneen. I'm not sure if it is at the Polisi River or further towards Tzaneen where you cross a section of the Tzaneen dam.

You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Wynand

Thanks for the nice comments. It is my first ride report although we have done many trips. It always seemed to boring to share. Here goes the next part.

Sunday was the time for dirt roads. We left for the Debengeni falls where the local gate guard told me that bikes are not really allowed, but since the Capo is licensed, we could go in. It would cost 20 bucks and we could pay when we came out. I think that 20 bucks went straight into his pocket.

The falls seem to be very popular and much loved by the locals. We saw quite a few miniature gravestones (or whatever you call them) stuck against the rocks and trees.

Even a little wooden box, once containing someone’s ashes.

I believe quite a few people had lost their lives there, so this could also be the reason for that.

From there we headed further into the forest. The road was challenging at times and at then again sometimes very good. We wacked the bottom of the bike (Main stand) a couple of times over some really big rocks, but fortunately never damaged anything. We saw some amazing views and the trip was really worth the while.

Dap Naudé Dam

More to follow............... Need to Skype with the Boss now.

Here we go again.

Only bummer is that we never took anything to eat or drink and by the time we reached this little plaas winkeltjie, we were really, really thirsty.

The local “guard dog” did not even lift his head when we stopped. Ma was glad to be off the bike for a while as her backside had taken quite a beating on the rough road.

From there we headed back to Haenertsburg. We spent a while at the local Kiwi Festival (Exactly 5 stalls big) and bought some preserves to take home.

There was still enough time left in the day for another excursion. We headed out towards the Wolkberg Nature reserve. Once again some really lovely views and really worth the while.

O die donkie is ‘n wonderlike ding……………….

We never reached the reserve as it was getting late and I did not want to get caught on unfamiliar roads in the dark.

Pumping tires for the black top.

Monday morning came to quickly and we headed back to VDBP. This time I chanced the highway as the local said that most of the Zionists had left on the Sunday already. The road was busy and I felt as if I was back in Angola. It seems the “Keep left, Pass right” rule does not apply anymore. The tollgates were a nightmare with very long lines. I was reluctant to lane split as the Capo with the 45 liter panniers are is quite wide and I sure didn’t want to scratch my panniers. I any case, the taxis don't really make way for one in such a situation.

Trying to stop at the One Stops or Ultra Cities on the way was also not possible. They were filled to capacity and only when nature started screaming in our ears, did I venture into one to answer the call.

Got back to VDBP in the afternoon after spending way too much time at tollgates and returned to Richards Bay the following day.

Total distance: Just shy of 3000 K’s. Missus did about half of that on the bike and the other half in the cage.

Petrol consumption: Between 16 to 18 K/L (I try and stick to the speed limit and enjoy the ride)

Note to self:
• If you have a Hydration pack…..USE IT!!!! Don’t go off into the bush without something to drink and eat.
• Stay away from national roads and tollgates when you know they are going to be very busy.
• There aint no medication for stupidity!
• Avoid Standerton at all cost in the future. (Got fined by the same guy, for the second time in this town and to top it all, they stopped me on leaving the town to check my license.)

So, now I’m back in dark Africa and reminiscing about the trip while already thinking of where to go next. I told the missus we should stay home the next time I’m there so I can catch upon some things around the house, but shucks that is so boring!!!!!

Fluit - fluit,my storie is uit.........

Tomorrow I'm off to Sumbe to explore some caves and waterfalls.

Wynand

Excellent Wynand, thanks so much for sharing the nicest place in the world. That Wolkberg road is a lovely one, ends at Serala, a beautiful place over looking Ebenezer from the top.

Latest posts