Lane Splitting Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdventureBoy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
My wife's car has been in for repairs after an accident, so I have been relegated to the bikew to gte to work. Not such a bad thing when considering the traffic and road works. I travel on the highway from the west of JHB to Rivonia. I find that travelling beteeen the two most lanes on the right hand side of the highway is the best as there seems to be lane jumping by the cages. I have also got to the stage in my life when I do not need to prove anything to anyone about my bike riding abilities. I sometimes catch another biker and ride behind him (which is quite nice as the cages tend to open up a bit once the first bike goes past) but there are thos that travel quite a bit faster than I do.

The question is if you are in heavy morning traffic and one of the faster bikes comes up behind you do youtry to move over to allow him to pass or do you carry on and leyt him find a way past, by moving into another lane? I sense some riders, mostly on superbikes, get annoyed when you do not make way for them. I realise that my KLR is not as fast as some superbikes, the hadlebars with protectors are wider than some superbikes and my brakes are not as good as some superbilkes. I ride my bike within its and my capabilities. I do the trip in abou 30 minutes in rush hour traffic and about 25 with weekend traffic.