Leo does a Courier Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Our regular “speelgroepie” is planning a ride for 2012 which is going to be somewhat technical, so we are all in the process of looking for lighter, smaller machines which will be better suited for the technical stuff. My preferred weapon of choice is my HP, so with bad influence form me, Basil has opted to get himself one of these beasts as well. A big search ensued as these machines are becoming as scarce as hens teeth, but we eventually managed to track down a bike in a reasonable condition at a fair price.
As soon as Basil OK’ed the deal, I volunteered to collect his bike down in “Die Mooiste Kaap” and ride it back to Gauteng. He was just too glad as he would have had to ride down with his “jute” and load and drive back.
With this in mind I found myself at Lanseria early Saturday morning dressed in full riding gear. Most fellow passengers thought I had lost my bike somewhere, but those who dared to ask were soon enlightened.
In Cape Town I was collected by Kobus, seller who took me to his house where we made a few adjustments before I hit the road. 

The reluctant seller
IMG_3682_.jpg

The Courier Guy
IMG_3681_.jpg

The beautiful Riebeek Valley – this is where I grew up as a kid. “Leeu wêreld” as you all know.
IMG_3683_.jpg

Crossing the not so mighty Berg River as Zonkwasdrif
IMG_3684_.jpg

Riebeek Wes from a distance. Man I’d love to move back here!!
IMG_3686_.jpg

The Mitchell’s Pass between Tulbach and Ceres.
IMG_3688_.jpg

Soon I hit the lower parts of the Tankwa Karoo and the roads opened up.
IMG_3692_.jpg

The Karoo is desolate, but in this lies its beauty. We just need to somehow stock the fracking frackers.
IMG_3693_.jpg

I read somewhere on the web about this spot – all commodities for sale, you take what you want and drop your money in a money box. “Too good to be true” I told myself. True as nannies, justice has caught up with the place in our crime ridden country as it was as closed as a Dinky Toys Exhaust Pipe. Maybe they are just closed on a Saturday, who knows.
IMG_3696_.jpg

Sutherland on a Saturday is a lonely place. Fill up, drink a coolie and get the hell out of there unless you know someone.
IMG_3699_.jpg

Not a soul to be seen on the streets.
IMG_3700_.jpg

From Sutherland to Fraserburg, where not a helluva lot more was happening. State of the art garage. The new one is being built.
IMG_3703_.jpg

Hard to stick to the legal limits when the road opens up like this
IMG_3705_.jpg

Try as I could, I could not get away from my dust
IMG_3706_.jpg

The whole of the Karoo had some bad wash a way’s. This patch of water was evident to a good rain season.
IMG_3709_.jpg

Chasing the setting sun on my way to my stopover at Van Der Kloof Dam
IMG_3711_.jpg

My office for the weekend.
IMG_3713_.jpg

5Am Sunday morning passing below the Van Der Kloof dam wall
IMG_3715_.jpg

Trick suspension Front and Rear. Does wonders for the handling of the bike. Courtesy of Martin Pedsold down in Cape Town. This was fitted last week.
IMG_3718_.jpg

IMG_3719_.jpg

Crossing a railway line somewhere in da Freestate. Love this picture.
IMG_3720_.jpg

I was arty farting around and was almost caught by this beast. Down side of riding with earplugs all the time.
IMG_3723_.jpg

Timkulu is one of the stopover spots on the Parys De Aar adventure rally. I stayed here previously, but sadly now I only rode past.
IMG_3724_.jpg

Happy new owner – ready for that pass of that Van Zyl oke
IMG_3725_.jpg

Basil thanks for the opportunity. That beast of yours run like the clappers. I manage to clear alotta noise this weekend from my head.
Cheers till the next time.  :ricky: