Long way round to Middelpos, a night rider and wet wet wet!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello there to everybody.

It seems that I have a knack of organizing quiet rides that turn out eventful.

I wanted to go see Middelpos, and chatted with Buzz Lightyear about doing a trip there. He convinced me that we must go via Merweville.

With the help of just a few mapping programs, I came up with this route: https://maps.google.co.za/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211489569151504177549.00049b13be666cc8ed28d&ll=-32.907262,20.313721&spn=3.749095,4.938354&z=8

Thanks to Buzz for putting it in electronic format.

We all met at the Engen outgoing at 8 for a breakfast. Then I get a call from Krag Kris (aka Mark) that his bike is not starting. (maybe the bike knew what was coming!) At 830 he arrives, and quietly tells me one side that he forgot to put fuel in the bike  :imaposer:

We had 2 support vehicles. 1 Landy (and no it did not break down) for pillions that got scared,  and 1 bakkie for the pannier bags  :mwink:

We also had bikes. Buzz Yamaha XTZ, Rubicon KLR, Geoff with pillion Wee Strom and Mark with Pillion V Strom. (Roost aka Shredder with very brave pillion on his KTM joined us later)

First day was via Baines kloof to Ceres, and then all the back roads to Merweville. On the last pic you can see the few pannier boxes on the bakkie!  :peepwall:

Attachments

• IMAG0423 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0423 (Large).jpg
    99.6 KB
  • IMAG0424 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0424 (Large).jpg
    52.4 KB
  • DSC02168 (Large).JPG
    DSC02168 (Large).JPG
    142.1 KB
  • IMAG0422 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0422 (Large).jpg
    105.6 KB
Still disappointed to have missed out, although I've been hearing reports, regarding the 'Strom... Eish. Looking forward to further installments, though!

We took the Ceres to Matjiesfontein road, and the turned off before the N1 at the junction on pic1.

This is where the fun started. Every now and again the road followed the little riverbeds that run along there. And they were full of sand. At the second one, Mark's pillion jumped off, and said no more! Mark is an old biker, but no off road experience, let alone sand riding. He was all over the road, and had to stop to pull his pants out of his backside every now and again. At the 5th or so sand stretch, Geoff's pillion jumped off, and said no more! Geoff has motocross experience, but the heavier Wee strom was a different story.

After another 5kms, Rubicon had enough of making the guys look ordinary, and I had to relinquish the back up bakkie, and get on the KLR  :biggrin:

From there on, the sand got worse, and Mark eventually dropped his Vstrom in one of the wider river beds. Luckily only a pannier box in pieces, and no other damage. His nerves were about gone by then.

I did not expect such a rough stretch, and it was basically all the way from Matjies fontein to the other side of Laingsburg.

Not pillion friendly, and not Newb friendly.

But Buzz and I had a ball!  :biggrin:

Just before the Merweville road, Buzz, Mark and Geoff decided to hit the N1 for the last stretch, and I decided to give the last stretch a go. Not a good decision.

The road alternated between sandy riverbeds, and rocky climbs and drops. 5kms of this, and I get to a locked gate  :mad: (if the farmer don't want you through there, then put a Private sign at the turn off FFS. I don't think he is allowed to lock the access roads anyway) So back I went, and into the setting sun. Could not see a thing, while trying to negotiate the sandy sections. Now that was fun!  :ricky:

We then eventually all ended up on the Merweville road, and had a quiet cruise to Sprigbok lodge, which we reached at about 19h00.

10 hours to do 380kms. Tough going.  :ricky:

Attachments

• DSC02174 (Large).JPG
    DSC02174 (Large).JPG
    138 KB
  • DSC02176 (Large).JPG
    DSC02176 (Large).JPG
    136.3 KB
  • DSC02178 (Large).JPG
    DSC02178 (Large).JPG
    128.1 KB
  • DSC02180 (Large).JPG
    DSC02180 (Large).JPG
    122 KB
I was a bit worried about our average speed (about 40kph including stops), so I tried my best to get an early start on the 1st. My worry was that we were cutting it close, and we would be in trouble if there is a break down. (as we found out!)

But first there was fuel to get pic1 , breakfast (which was huge @R45 per head) pic2, and a church to photograph. There was also a loose chain guard on the V strom.

Our original route was via Karelskraal to Sutherland, but Buzz wisely advised against it.

The plan was to go via Rammelkop pass to Sutherland, top up then run down the tarmac pass towards Matjiesfontein, then hit a right at the bottom of the pass. From there we follow the escarpment, and go up Ouberg pass. From there all the back routes to Middelpos.

Attachments

• IMAG0429 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0429 (Large).jpg
    103.4 KB
  • 01052011219.jpg
    01052011219.jpg
    131.9 KB
  • DSC02228 (Large).JPG
    DSC02228 (Large).JPG
    84.3 KB
  • DSC02226 (Large).JPG
    DSC02226 (Large).JPG
    117.2 KB
Nice one, thanks.
We also, just recently, spent a great evening at the Springbok Lodge.

Looks like Capetonians are having all the fun.

Here are some pics from Rammelkop. This is a truly magnificent view over the Karoo all the way to the swartberg mountain ranges.

The road was good, but the ever present wash outs and ditches kept everybody on their toes.

My back up diesel bakkie just made it up there is first gear. Very steep, and a heavy load of pannier boxes!

Attachments

• Rammelkop 2 (Large).JPG
    Rammelkop 2 (Large).JPG
    42.1 KB
  • DSC02240 (Large).JPG
    DSC02240 (Large).JPG
    114.9 KB
  • Rammelkop (Large).JPG
    Rammelkop (Large).JPG
    44.3 KB
  • DSC02242 (Large).JPG
    DSC02242 (Large).JPG
    117.4 KB
From Sutherland we went down the tar pass, and swung a right at the bottom.

Spectacular road, and Ouberg was stunning as usual.

Unfortunately Mark's pillion has a serious fear of heights, and was in tears on the back of the bike. Mark had no idea, until he stopped at the top. He looked at her and asked: "What?"  :imaposer:

From there on he was alone to Middelpos!  :biggrin: (maybe a good thing)

Attachments

• DSC02249 (Large).JPG
    DSC02249 (Large).JPG
    124.5 KB
  • Ouberg 1 (Large).JPG
    Ouberg 1 (Large).JPG
    83 KB
  • Ouberg 2 (Large).JPG
    Ouberg 2 (Large).JPG
    91.2 KB
  • 01052011224.jpg
    01052011224.jpg
    140.5 KB
  • DSC02263 (Large).JPG
    DSC02263 (Large).JPG
    129.5 KB
From top of ouberg, Murphy raised his head.

First the Wee strom would not engage the starter. We gave it a push start, and Geoff then could not switch off until Middelpos.

Buzz missed a turn off, and I was not sure if he took it or not. So I stopped and waited. Rubicon came back looking for me, and gave me good lashing for going missing. At least she could tell me that Buzz went straight, so I followed the detour.

It was getting late (40kph average again) so I said that everybody can take their own pace to Middelpos.

Mark decided to stick with Rubicon. She goes slower, but does not slow down at any of the wash outs. The Vstrom took a beating through those ditches.

About 25kms from Middelpos The Vstroms windscreen bracket flies off, and we stop to pick it up. Mark smells oil, and remembered the big rock he hit a small way back. I look, and there is a puddle of oil under the bike.  :eek:

It looked serious, so we decided to rather tow the bike in. (too many pannier boxes on the bakkie!)

I sent Rubicon on, to let the other guys know that we will be late. Between the 2 of us, we have never towed a bike before, but I have read about it somewhere.

After some trial and a few errors, we got it down to the following: Wrap the rope around the footpeg from underneath, and from the inside to the outside. Only 2 wraps. (the 3 wraps did not let go when Mark needed it to :biggrin:) When the towing vehicle got rid of the slack, pull away briskly, otherwise the bike is too slow to balance, and the free foot is on the wrong side.

Anyway I pulled him up a hill, and he would free down the other side. I would then tow him up the next hill, and so on. Took us almost 2 hours to get to Middelpos.

When it got dark, the trip on the bike, apparently got downright frightening. I would not know, I had lights in the bakkie!  :imaposer:

Geoff luckily showed up to help, and could cast some light for Mark at the back.  :ricky: 

The night rider.

I just setlled down by the fire, and Mark had a few strong ones, when I get a phone call from Roost (Shredder previously).

Him and his fiancée had nothing to do, and decided to come join us. He wanted to know where we were staying for the night. This was now at 19h30, and he was calling from Ceres.  :eek: :eek:

I told him to rather go home, but of course, hoor is min! At least he decided to klap some tar to Sutherland and from there to Middelpos.

He arrived at about 01h00 on Monday morning. Giving the KTM some freedom. His pillion got off quite sleepily. Apparently she was nodding off on the back on the last gravel section!  :imaposer:

No fear that one!

I like the pink goggles Roost! :peepwall:

Attachments

• DSC03709 (Large).JPG
    DSC03709 (Large).JPG
    48.1 KB
  • DSC03725 (Large).JPG
    DSC03725 (Large).JPG
    89.6 KB
  • DSC03737 (Large).JPG
    DSC03737 (Large).JPG
    117.5 KB
  • DSC03738 (Large).JPG
    DSC03738 (Large).JPG
    77.7 KB
  • DSC03750 (Large).JPG
    DSC03750 (Large).JPG
    85.3 KB
Next day broke nice and early with the weather forecast not looking so good.

The previous nights repairs to the Vstrom sump did not seem to be enough, so we had to have a go again.

Petrol was topped up, Bakkie loaded to the top, and ready to go.

1. Buzz with some breakfast
2. The house we stayed at in Middelpos. (next to police station)
3. Repairs to Vstrom
4. Main road middelpos
5. Fuel

Attachments

• DSC03756.JPG
    DSC03756.JPG
    27 KB
  • DSC03772 (Large).JPG
    DSC03772 (Large).JPG
    128.7 KB
  • DSC03771 (Large).JPG
    DSC03771 (Large).JPG
    102.8 KB
  • DSC03753.JPG
    DSC03753.JPG
    43.9 KB
  • DSC03768 (Large).JPG
    DSC03768 (Large).JPG
    122.3 KB
Then the rain came down  :eek: :eek:

And we had about 200km of gravel to Oppi berg.

Out came the rain suits, and after a chat to Oom Koos at Middelpos, it was decided to tackle Ganagga down to Tankwa. He warned us that the section to Ganagga was extremely slippery. Very good warning indeed.

At this point, it was decided to rather let Liewe Heksie and Kim get into the vehicles, as the road conditions looked a bit dicey.

Roost's teacher bokkie decided to stay on, as the previous night ride was apparently too rustig! (I am sure she was having us on!)

1. You want to go where in this rain? (teach' Fourie)
2. Krag Kris and Liewe Heksie on the Vstrom
3. Geoff and Kim on the Wee strom
4. The rest with rain suits

Attachments

• DSC03767 (Large).JPG
    DSC03767 (Large).JPG
    131.1 KB
  • DSC03778 (Large).JPG
    DSC03778 (Large).JPG
    99.3 KB
  • DSC03781 (Large).JPG
    DSC03781 (Large).JPG
    115.9 KB
  • DSC03784 (Large).JPG
    DSC03784 (Large).JPG
    146.7 KB
It was at this stage that having Buzz in front proved priceless! He's been there, and done that.

He very correctly recognized the snotty spots, and stopped the whole group at these spots.

Very much appreciated by the newbs, and ample warning for Roost to get ready fling some mud in all directions. Finally getting teach to start looking for a gap in a car. (sorry, all filled up!)

And it gave all the vehicle spectators time to watch the antics!  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Unfortunately there are no pics of these antics, but Buzz and Rubicon was boring. No slips or slides, and riding as if on tar.

Geoff duck walked sideways, and Mark measured the road's diagonal three times while going 20m forwards. Now that was something to see. How he managed to stay upright, nobody knows. His pants were back up his bum again  :imaposer:

Buzz tried to warn Roost, but I told him he should not waste his time :mwink: As he hit the mud, the front swiped left. As teach grabbed on for a fall, he opened the taps, and got the back to go the other way. Teach was looking south, then north, then south, then north again, with mud flying everywhere, and the front going straight for the exit.  :biggrin: :biggrin: He did not even look over his shoulder, and just buggered off again. Buzz could only shake his head.  :imaposer:

Roost and teach took some of these pics backwards while riding through the mud.

Attachments

• DSC03790 (Large).JPG
    DSC03790 (Large).JPG
    90.7 KB
  • DSC03785 (Large).JPG
    DSC03785 (Large).JPG
    120.2 KB
  • DSC02269 (Large).JPG
    DSC02269 (Large).JPG
    67.1 KB
  • DSC03795 (Large).JPG
    DSC03795 (Large).JPG
    98.8 KB
After the slip and slide above Ganagga, the guys and one girl were a bit apprehensive of going down the pass. But the conditions were not too bad.

Pity about the clouds that obscured the view a little. At the bottom there were a few ditches to remind the faster guys to be careful.

Once we entered the Tankwa park, the road surface was absolutely brilliant. It was wet with no dust, but no slippery spots. :ricky: :ricky:

Attachments

• DSC03824 (Large).JPG
    DSC03824 (Large).JPG
    127.4 KB
  • DSC03841 (Large).JPG
    DSC03841 (Large).JPG
    66 KB
  • DSC03832 (Large).JPG
    DSC03832 (Large).JPG
    121.3 KB
  • DSC03809.JPG
    DSC03809.JPG
    43.5 KB
  • DSC03806.JPG
    DSC03806.JPG
    30.5 KB
Although it was quite wet, lots of fun was had by all.

Check how Liewe Heksie tells Krag Kris not to go so fast!  :imaposer:

Attachments

• DSC02311 (Large).JPG
    DSC02311 (Large).JPG
    104.8 KB
  • DSC02321 (Large).JPG
    DSC02321 (Large).JPG
    123.9 KB
  • DSC03845.JPG
    DSC03845.JPG
    32.6 KB
  • DSC03858 (Large).JPG
    DSC03858 (Large).JPG
    124.6 KB
  • DSC03860 (Large).JPG
    DSC03860 (Large).JPG
    122.3 KB
Then just for a last good one, we tackled Katbakkies before taking a lunch break under the garage canopy at Oppi berg.
Then it was a wet road back, with Rubicon eventually giving me another go on the bike. (The tar got too boring for her  :mad:)

Cheers Roost.

I still like your pink goggles!  :peepwall:

Attachments

• DSC02357 (Large).JPG
    DSC02357 (Large).JPG
    120.4 KB
  • DSC02367 (Large).JPG
    DSC02367 (Large).JPG
    95.3 KB
  • DSC02371 (Large).JPG
    DSC02371 (Large).JPG
    82.5 KB
  • DSC02391 (Large).JPG
    DSC02391 (Large).JPG
    128.4 KB
  • DSC02396 (Large).JPG
    DSC02396 (Large).JPG
    101.7 KB
The route summary:

Day 1:
Engen north bound to Merweville via Ceres, Matjiesfontein road and then some obscure farm access roads to the Merweville road from the N1.
380km, with 70kms of tweespoor sand sections. These could be bypassed using the N1 from Matjiesfontein. The last section into Merweville has some stunning vistas
Passes: Baines kloof and Theronsberg
Sleep over at Springbok lodge.
R200 pp for a double room (R400)
100 pp on the bunk beds in the dorm room which sleeps 8. (no farting or snoring allowed  :mwink:)
Kids under 12 half price
Wood R40 per bag.
Supper on order R40 pp Skaapkop or Snoek and home made bread. (we tasted some snoek. It was really good)
Breakfast opposite the road with Belia. R45 pp. Cereal, yoghurt, wors and eggs, toast, jam and cheese, juice and coffee incl. (very good value)
Fuel 8 to 5 normal days, closed on Sundays. They will open if you arrange, but only from 8 to about 830. (church starts at 10, so you can arrange for after 11h30 also.)

Day 2:
Merweville to Middelpos via Sutherland and around the escarpment. 260km of good gravel, some tar and very steep passes. Pillion and newb friendly. (unless you suffer from vertigo) The Rammelkop pass and ouberg passes are truly amazing to ride. Although I must agree with Buzz that it would probably be nicer riding them down, as you can then enjoy the changing views all the time. 260km
Passes: Rammelkop, Verlate kloof pass and Ouberg pass
Sleep over at the house next to police station. Nice lapa, and lots of camping space.
R150pp for a bed. (sleeps 6)
R50 pp camping or sharing the floor in the house.
Fuel available at Sutherland if you knock at the kliphuis SE of the fuel station and at Middelpos at decent hours.
Wood R30 per bag
We did not ask for meals, but I am sure the Hotel could accommodate. (the hotel is R300pp dinner bed and breakfast)

Day3:
Middelpos to home via Ganagga, Tankwa Karoo, Katbakkies and Ceres. 390km. Nice wide open gravel roads if not wet. If it is wet, the stretch above Ganagga is exceptionally dangerous. Even for a vehicle. We made good time along the tankwa Karoo, even in the wet.
Beautiful views from Ganagga, and vistas through the Tankwa.
Passes: Ganagga, Katbakkies, Gydo, Baines kloof.
Oppi berg's Spar sells very nice hot chicken.  :biggrin:

I have the trip in Garmin format if anybody would like to do it. I would have liked to include a section via Calvinia, botterkloof, Biedouw, Wupperthal and Oasis for a 4th day, but leave was on short supply. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28065050/Long%20way%20round%20to%20Middelpos.gdb

Best bit: The 70km sandy section above Matjiesfontein. Had lots of fun, and a good laugh at other's expense  :imaposer:

Funny bits:
Krag Kris showing his nipples to all.  :eek7:,
Krag Kris hanging a right down a dry river bed because "the bike did not want to go left!"
Teach's face after getting off Roost's bike at 1AM after 470kms of night riding to get to middelpos

Spectacular:
Krag Kris doing 60 meters left and right with only going 20m forwards
Roost showing Teach all the points on the compass while power fishtailing through the mud

Not so nice: The Vstrom springing a leak

Worse bits: People trying to keep a strict time table, and always asking "how far still" (I just follow the african way, and tell them what they want toe hear: "not so far" or "just around the corner") WTF do you want to go do in Merweville or Middelpos. And if you are in such a rush to get home, rather stay there next time!  :deal:

Damages:

Vstrom hole in seat where rider's backside goes. Wet pillion seat. Loose chain guard. Broken wind screen mount. Hole in sump. Broken excuse for a sump guard. Lost number plate. Broken pannier and mount. Bent brake lever. Scratches on front fairing

Wee strom. Hole in seat under rider. Wet pillion seat.

XTZ Nothing. Mister dependable was riding

KLR Nothing. Rubicon played nice!  :biggrin:

KTM Nothing. Although Roost's ears are still ringing from Teach's lashing :biggrin:

No flats, I believe mainly due to correct tyre pressures and slow speeds.

Til next time  :peepwall: