Mark Hardy/Malibu Run 27 November 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingroads

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
DKW (all models)
We left home for our departure at 6h10, got there with fellow dogs, and had a nice chat, almost missing our time to leave. We went via Pretoria North, Brits road, over the N4, and onto the road past the south of the dam. Stopped for petrol, and headed to ADA.

Just outside ADA a BMW hit something on the road, and papers all over. As I got there I was in a money shower. Stopped, got the wallet, cards and cash together, and drove to ADA.
After the usual warm welcome from Mark, I contacted the wallet owner(Alan) wife. Her first, and obvious reaction was – is he ok? After telling her he is ok, I actually have good news, we made arrangements to get in touch.

Back to the restless crowd, and getting the ride report from Mark.
My info was turn left into the road, go to the t junction, turn right and continue to the t junction, then left, and just over the bridge, onto the gravel road, they will come through there. And off whet the riders, posing for there pics.

I had a quick chat to Alan before we left, he was at Moulin Rouge at the time. We had a nice ride, not many bikers as most was at the toy run. Eventually we arrive at the right place, where we met Alan (One happy rooinek) but never saw the Dogs. I think they all got lost.

So after playing with the cam a bit, we set out to Beestekraal Restaurant, to be there by 12. Nice ride, more pics until we hit that bloody road outside Brits – Pothole County. We crawled at 65km/h to Greens and took the boots of for a breather. After about 25 min I decided they can’t be that far behind, so I called Topie – no answer.
We got dressed, and headed past Beestekraal Restaurant to see if we spot them, but only KTM’s outside there – hello hondsekierie en Smokes. As we turned around and set the GPS destination Home, Topie called. They just pulled into Greens. So we headed back, greeted by a tired, but happy bunch of bikers.

Quick lunch, and when Mark say quick, he means quick. Pay now, eat later. And off most of them went, more gravel ahead. Some started heading home. About 10km from Beestekraal we found a Blue Super Ten, major accident. Rider and pillion alive, but serious injuries. A ER24 helicopter was dispatched to airlift them.
At the same time I lost one of the nuts holding the exaust to the manifold, so my bike was noisy, backfiring like a Hardley Davidson, and lost some power. That all fixed now, so let me go mow the lawn.
I will load pics soon.

Tx Mark and Malibu. Ingilsman enjoy her birthday saddletime, even though not on gravel yet.
:thumleft:

What a stunning day!  We rode everything but BIG mud!  Started by going via Breeds Neck, hit the dirt again from Moi Noi, then we just rode,  railway lines, through the quaries, little dirt roads, big dirt roads, farm roads, canal roads, and eventually we made the lunch spot.  From there we rode The Rock, and then back via the canals and railway lines.  For some reason, we somehow arrived at Beemer Mike's spot, he cracked a Keg for us! 

Really fantiastic riding, sand, gravel, dirt, mud, etc, etc... and I was amazed at how well he new riders did.  To all of you, thank you for a super day.  Big thanks to all the guys that helped, Bushman, you make a terrific back marker, Madmike, for helping the new guys over the neck, Cithe and other guys that waited at the turnngs... Thank You!

Hope we all get to ride again! 

Mark, you plotted a terrific route, was super interesting and very varied!

I took no pics, so I shall await the others!  ;D

I hold my poor liver in the left hand...and scroll with the right , looking for pics!!!!!

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Well what can I say except for....Thank you guys...Sharingroads,Mark,Malibu,Sithe, Bushman,WP and everyone else (Cant remember all the names) its been great riding with you.  We truly enjoyed a very interesting  ride over different terrain and even a water crossing or three......  and saw some guys with exceptional skills ,and even learned a few new ones while we were at it...... :thumleft: :thumleft:  Unfortunately we didn't had enough time to our disposal to go to the Rock with you guys but next time..

Having decided at the last moment to join the “Newbies” ride I excitedly got on my bike and headed out towards ADA bright and breezy.  Not quite sure as what to expect I was nonetheless excited about doing dirt.

I have only been riding since March and have only done 3000k’s of which 2999.99 have been on tar, so this was a brand new experience for me.  Oops sorry I did do a bit of dirt a while ago, but that was an absolute doddle in comparison to what I achieved today.  When I heard Judy mention Breeds Nek, I shuddered as I have heard too much about the dreaded Breedts Nek – I was almost about to get back on my bike and put on another 3000k’s of pure tar. 

Now, I thought this ride was for “Newbies”, hell no, these guys can ride, they most certainly know there stuff.  I on the other hand rode at my own pace, achieving things I thought I would never ever achieve.  I impressed myself on numerous occasions, doing things I honestly did not think were possible. 

The closer we got to Breedts Nek the more anxious I became, but guess what I made it to the top without any incident – except of course my brake light and number plate decided they had had enough of being man handled on the seriously bumpy section and snapped off (thanks Judy for spotting it).  Once on  top of Breedts Nek the obviously thing was to go down, that is when I froze!  A very kind helpful rider (sorry I forgot your name) rode my bike down the section I just could not do. 

Back on I got and off we all went again, negotiating water, mud, cows and narrow tracks.  I stopped once or twice as I became rather overwhelmed by it all, but was encouraged by one of the other riders to look up and continue, which I did and was proud of what I did. 

I sadly had to leave the group around 12pm as I had pressing issues at home to deal with.  I enjoyed a great solo “tar” road home.

Thanks Judy, Mark and all the other guys who encouraged me along the way, much appreciated. 

Will I do it again Hell YES, will I do Breedts Nek again Hell NO!!!!!!

Ands reading a reply like this just confirms that organising rides like this is well worth the effort, Nice going Mark and Judy...sound like you lot had a blast! :thumleft:

Ands said:
Having decided at the last moment to join the “Newbies” ride I excitedly got on my bike and headed out towards ADA bright and breezy.  Not quite sure as what to expect I was nonetheless excited about doing dirt.

I have only been riding since March and have only done 3000k’s of which 2999.99 have been on tar, so this was a brand new experience for me.  Oops sorry I did do a bit of dirt a while ago, but that was an absolute doddle in comparison to what I achieved today.  When I heard Judy mention Breeds Nek, I shuddered as I have heard too much about the dreaded Breedts Nek – I was almost about to get back on my bike and put on another 3000k’s of pure tar. 

Now, I thought this ride was for “Newbies”, hell no, these guys can ride, they most certainly know there stuff.   I on the other hand rode at my own pace, achieving things I thought I would never ever achieve.  I impressed myself on numerous occasions, doing things I honestly did not think were possible. 

The closer we got to Breedts Nek the more anxious I became, but guess what I made it to the top without any incident – except of course my brake light and number plate decided they had had enough of being man handled on the seriously bumpy section and snapped off (thanks Judy for spotting it).  Once on  top of Breedts Nek the obviously thing was to go down, that is when I froze!  A very kind helpful rider (sorry I forgot your name) rode my bike down the section I just could not do. 

Back on I got and off we all went again, negotiating water, mud, cows and narrow tracks.  I stopped once or twice as I became rather overwhelmed by it all, but was encouraged by one of the other riders to look up and continue, which I did and was proud of what I did. 

I sadly had to leave the group around 12pm as I had pressing issues at home to deal with.  I enjoyed a great solo “tar” road home.

Thanks Judy, Mark and all the other guys who encouraged me along the way, much appreciated.   

Will I do it again Hell YES, will I do Breedts Nek again Hell NO!!!!!!

Ands you did quite well for your first time on dirt.. :thumleft:

Ands, I think you rode very well!  You tried stuff that was rather intimidating, and you handled it so well.  Don't give up on Breeds neck, in a little while's time, you'll be zipping up ad down that without a care in the world.  You just need more saddle-time and more experience on dirt, that is just one of those things that comes with time.  :) 

You rode a seriously long distance too!  You are amazing!  ;D

Shot Mark and Judy!! Was an awesome ride. Sorry that I did the old ninja bomb after the rock but I was spent and just wanted to get home

Doesn't anyone have pictures?

I only took 3 with my phone

Attachments

• Moerse Klip.jpg
    Moerse Klip.jpg
    467.7 KB
  • Moerse klip2.jpg
    Moerse klip2.jpg
    464.3 KB
  • BN.jpg
    BN.jpg
    370.6 KB
What a super days riding, excellent company and wonderfull weather. But for me what made the day so great so the " I CAN DO " attitude shown by everyone. From the newbis riders to the more experienced, you all tried something new on yesterday. Be it just riding on gravel or riding down the middle route at The Rock. Well done, hats off and lets do it again next year.

First smoke break towards the neck
_DSC4006.jpg

_DSC4007.jpg

Coming up the neck...APO
_DSC4011.jpg

_DSC4013.jpg

Sithe
_DSC4018.jpg

Zaskar, WP and Phillip
_DSC4020.jpg

_DSC4025.jpg

WP
_DSC4030.jpg

Kevin and Madmike
_DSC4035.jpg

Madmike
_DSC4038.jpg

What a beautiful bike....
_DSC4040.jpg

On top of the rock
_DSC4041.jpg

End of a great days riding

_DSC4044.jpg

Thanks Maulibu for getting the ride going and a huge thanks to everyone who joined.
I had an absolute blast.

Thanks Mark & Judy and all the other "dogs", nice to see a whole lot of new faces. One of the best rides Ive been on, learnt alot.

Nice pics Mark. I cant beat that as I  only have of you guys leaving ADA and Greens, but will post some tonight.

We notice that APO is still the best looking rider in the group.

:biggrin: Thanks guys it was alot of fun and I will definitely be doing it again! Thanks to Judy and Mark for all the tips and pointers, I definitely feel like I improved my riding alot yesterday! Excellent route and and excellent bunch of people to ride with.  :3some:

Thanks once again!  :biggrin:

JIMBO said:

I don't know about best looking, but that XT has to be one of the best sounding machine around

:biggrin:

Mark Hardy said:
JIMBO said:

I don't know about best looking, but that XT has to be one of the best sounding machine around

:biggrin:
hm riding behind him can lead to hearing loss....and i believe Jimbo has a leeetle crush on  our APO.... :imaposer:

Thanks M & J, lekker route. Sorry I had to bail earlier but had some stuff to do @ Home!